Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Car has died  (Read 3124 times)

pete1666

• Bridgwater Somerset
    • View Profile
Car has died
« on: 09 February 2007, 21:20:00 »

Hi to all, i have 96 2.5 V6 auto estate great car until today, while i was driving there was a squeal like the fan belt
was getting loose then i could smell burning oil when i stopped it was smoking from the cam cover, thought just a bit of oil,
then later on way home it got very noisy so i stopped noise stopped drove a little further then i stalled. i tried to start it
again and nothing is happening it just sounds like a quiet motor spinning, can any one help????? Cambelt was changed  
about 4,000 miles ago

Thanks Pete

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Car has died
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2007, 21:59:58 »

Now I really don't wish to be the bearer of bad tidings but when the cambelt was changed, was the tensioner replaced also?

I have to say this does sound rather unhealthy....
The Administrator.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2007, 22:00:59 »

an obvious thought to me is the nasty one....cambelt.....tensioner...

Have you looked? can you take sufficient bolts from timing cover to pull forward the cam cover and check that theres at least a belt there firstly?
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2007, 22:09:56 »

Yep agreed. Smoking from the cam cover is not good..... sounds like the belt has slipped and was rubbing.

Where was the belt changed? - You need to go back to them and complain, I hope it was done at Vaux!

pete1666

• Bridgwater Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2007, 00:46:43 »

Hi i hav`nt got the car home to check it yet, dont no where belt was done and i dont no
if it was a full change or just the belt. If it has broken what are the chances of the engine
being ok.
Thanks Pete

iggy21uk

• Omega Knight
  • Berkhamsted - Herts
  • Omega Spotter -  tats gone tanning
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2007, 01:11:40 »

Sorry to say slim - If the tensioner / belt  fail - pistons can meet valves  :'(
« Last Edit: 10 February 2007, 01:15:58 by iggy21uk »
[size=10]Opelscanner Can owner / Cam lock kit owner [/size] [/i][/b]

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2007, 07:14:48 »

Hi i hav`nt got the car home to check it yet, dont no where belt was done and i dont no
if it was a full change or just the belt. If it has broken what are the chances of the engine
being ok.
Thanks Pete

If it is cambelt failure, and you are lucky, you might get away with just replacing the cylinder heads. (You could put new valves in and rebuild them, which I suspect Mark would do, but the cheaters way on a car of that age (no offence meant) is just to get a pair of known good heads.

Obviously you would also need to replace the timing belt kit as a matter of course if doing this work, and also the Aux belt and it's tensioner wheel.

How confident are you under the bonnet?

Also where are you?

I've got a V6 with a good engine, that I'm going to be breaking within a couple of weeks, the heads on it are good and would be available if you needed them.

In terms of next steps:

First job:

Remove ancilliaries such as inlet ducting in the way of the timing cover, remove aux belt with 15mm spanner on the tensioner, 2 minute easy job.

Remove the outer timing cover bolts, remove the cover. Inspect the state of the belt and associated guides/tensioner.

If it all looks intact, CAREFULLY and slowly with a socket on the crank pulley, rotate it clockwise as you stand in front of it. If you can rotate the engine with little effort, this indicates bent valves.

If the engine is turning OK on the pulley, then try crudely see if its timed up.

There will be numbers marked 1 2 3 and 4 on each cam pulley. They should all be at the top, with the relevent marks on the pulleys aligned with the notches on the inner timing cover. Bear in mind this is not perfect timing, but will give you an idea if it's anywhere close.

If all those marks line up OK, look at the bottom pulley, and make sure that the notch on the pulley is lined up with the cut-out at the bottom.

If it is, chances are the engine is in time and valves will be OK -

If not, further investigation is needed.

If you do end up changing the heads, it's not a terrible job to do, but time consuming. I've done it once. (And having learned from the experience and as such could do a much better job next time).

Where are you? Very busy at the mo, but if you happened to be next door I'd at least help diagnose it :P

Ronald_McBurger

« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2007, 09:53:43 »

I am not so sure about this one.....

May NOT be cambelt by the sound of things.

Smoking from cam cover? Coulkd just be the usual rocker gaske leak.

What i find interesting is reading through again. Am I right that YOU stopped the engine, rather than the engine stopped itself? AND you then were able to restart it and drive it? If so, did I drive ok, even if not sounding OK?

Were there any clunking, knocking, rattling noises?

Now when you turn over does it sound like the engine is turning over as usual, or does it seem much faster?

Is there any OBVIOUS damage at the front? ie aux belt snapped? slipped? Aircon compreeor siezed?

Although, reading yet again it does look and sound towrds cambelt slipped. :(
« Last Edit: 10 February 2007, 09:55:41 by Ronald_McBurger »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2007, 10:01:31 »

I will be very interested to find out what it is...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2007, 10:57:28 »

Quiet motor spinning is the give away here........normaly means no compression!

The question I have to ask is......if there was smoke and an awful screaming noise.....why the hell did you continue to drive it!

Anyway....if you undo the two bolts holding the top edg of the cambelt cover in place and ease it back so you can see the belt.....then get somebody to crank it over....see if the belt moves.

Check the receipt for the cambelt change and persue the person who did it. I have to say that its cases like this that make it worth while fitting genuine Vx bits because the warranty cover is considerably more comprehensive!

As for the heads....I definately would NOT fit new valves.....not without VERY close inspection of the valve guides!

I would re-build the replacement heads first with new stem seals, valves cleaned and re-lapped though....

pete1666

• Bridgwater Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2007, 13:19:54 »

Hi just had a look cambelt its still there but the teeth have been stripped off :'( ,
would it be cheaper to get another engine put in or strip and rebuild?  :'( :'( :'(

Pete

pete1666

• Bridgwater Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2007, 17:12:31 »

hi been speaking to previous owner, he had the cambelt changed only and in a back street garage :'(

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #12 on: 13 February 2007, 17:21:54 »

I think you might want to speak nicely to JamesV6CDX......   damn bad luck old chap..
My sincerest condolences.

Max
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2007, 18:37:39 »

Unlucky, it's the one thing none of us want to happen :-/

sophos9

• Intermediate Member
  • Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 February 2007, 19:39:31 »

Hi just had a look cambelt its still there but the teeth have been stripped off :'( ,
would it be cheaper to get another engine put in or strip and rebuild?  :'( :'( :'(

Pete

Mate, RIP... now get on the phone to that backstreet garage!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.