Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Autobox problems  (Read 669 times)

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
Autobox problems
« on: 20 April 2007, 12:29:13 »

Had the autobox changed three weeks ago now, noticed smoke coming from underneath the car when accelerating above 70mph. Stopped the car looked underneath and saw transmission fluid sprayed all over the exhaust. With this I continued with my journey to my farther and the car drove fine with no more smoke. Took it to my mechanic and problem found to be the breather pipe broken so he exstended and rerouted now no more smoke BUT now the gearbox decides to drive in "limp mode" two miles from my house. So took back to mechanic and found the gear selector panel lights jumping about, all light up or showing that i am in third when i am in drive. We both agreed that the gear selector needed to be changed so he is going to take the old one off the knackered box and put on the new box and hopefully that will solve that problem. Next to be done will be to check the oil level as I lost a bit of oil so that sould need topping up, hopefully this will solve that problem. Should I get another gearbox to be on the safe side or should topping the oil and changing the gear selector mechanisim be enough?
Thanks in advance.
Paul from Reading. I drive a 2.0ltr 16 v 2000 model Omega.
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Autobox problems
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2007, 12:35:30 »

Sounds like a bit of a poor job done....hope it wasn't to pricey!

Ok, first up, I suspect the selector switch is full of oil and muck from the spill, you can either replace it or clean it....if fitting one from another unit, clean it before fitting...

You need to check the oil level to....there is a guide on here detailing how to do this.....

Do make sure the breather is positioned correctly, it needs to be routed up the rear of the engine and should not have any tight kinks in it.....if it sits to low then you can get oil siphoning out of it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.