Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Glove Box Repair  (Read 2840 times)

Brian T

• Intermediate Member
  • Addiscombe, Surrey
    • View Profile
Glove Box Repair
« on: 06 June 2007, 19:12:48 »

Hi All this is my first post on here so be gentle with me!
I've got a 2.2 CD Est auto (x) and the catch on the Glove box has come out. As there is no Hayne's manual for this model I'm at a loss as to how to get inside to fix it. I've removed the 4 screws inside the glovebox that appear to hold the inner to the outer but that doesn't let you get inside.
can anybody help? advice will do, pics would be better.....cheeky for a first post I know but if you don't ask!

« Last Edit: 06 June 2007, 19:13:08 by Thomasba »
Illegitimis nil carborundum

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Glove Box Repair
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2007, 19:54:05 »

I seem to recall you have to remove glovebox entirely, unless anyone knows an easy way?
Grumpy old man

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2007, 20:21:43 »

I seem to recall you have to remove glovebox entirely, unless anyone knows an easy way?
I seem to remember RonaldMcBurger having some success with this....
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2007, 20:33:00 »

You have to remove it completely, it is in Haynes manual but I am sure there is a how to do on here somewhere

dippydave

• Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
  • how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2007, 20:38:04 »

i don't know whether it's the same for facelifts, but on my '96 and '99 meegas i had to change a handle/lock.

yes the whole box had to come out but it wasn't too tricky and thankfully haynes had some advice.

in summary (not summery, as the weather is right now  8-))  from memory....
there's a few screws (4 i think) holding the bottom of the box in from the front.
there might've been some screws from the side as well....prize the side cover (open door - with the airbag sticker) off and use a long screwdriver to get to these. not all mind, as they're for holding airvents in as much as the box.

there's also three bolts (hex key) going from the top of the glovebox to the airbag and a couple of screws holding the passenger airbag over the top, you kind of undo the lot and lift the airbag up a bit.
you have to disconnect the plugs from the light as it slides forward. oh and maybe the aircon pipe too.

once out, the lid has loads of little screws holding it's velvety liner on. once that's off you can get to the handle ok! but if you're taking the barrel out (i'd suggest really don't!) watch out for loads of little springs! basically it'll be lockable with any key after as there's no way you'll get all the lock gubbins in ok i think.

at the time i also changed some dash bulbs and re-set some airvents that had had a bash!

hope that's of some use....  :)
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2007, 21:43:36 »

Mr Haynes says that there are only 4 screws holding the glove box in. As has been said the face lift cars have an extra screw in the side towards the top that you remove the D shaped end panel t gain access to. After struggling to remove the glove box on my 99 mini-face lift car I then found that my car also has 5 screws  >:( I emailed the picture to Mr Haynes - he said that he wasn't aware of it!  ;)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2007, 21:50:43 »

;D ATTENTION!!!! Bugger haynes and all the rest~!!! look at the glovebox hinges carefully and you will see two pins hold them together, my way which takes about twenty seconds to get the glovebox lid off is using a thin punch or screw driver just push on the pins and they will slide out allowing you to have the glove box lid off in seconds!! then you can strip the lid for its inner workings in the comfort of you armchair and effect what repairs are necessary  :y

has no one else done it this way?? if not suggest its made a sticky cos its blooming quick!!
Omegatoy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2007, 21:55:57 »

;D ATTENTION!!!! Bugger haynes and all the rest~!!! look at the glovebox hinges carefully and you will see two pins hold them together, my way which takes about twenty seconds to get the glovebox lid off is using a thin punch or screw driver just push on the pins and they will slide out allowing you to have the glove box lid off in seconds!! then you can strip the lid for its inner workings in the comfort of you armchair and effect what repairs are necessary  :y

has no one else done it this way?? if not suggest its made a sticky cos its blooming quick!!
Omegatoy

It tooo quick that way Graham!  ;) Not nearly as much fun as taking it all out & cursing Mr Haynes' instructions!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2007, 22:09:01 »

Omegatoy

It tooo quick that way Graham!  ;) Not nearly as much fun as taking it all out & cursing Mr Haynes' instructions!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

I know that Andy but why does everyone insist on all that work taking the glovebox out ?????
just to fix the catch when the catch is in the lid???
and its just as easy putting it back on!! :y

Ronald_McBurger

« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2007, 22:31:37 »

There is a hidden screw!!!!! It is under and to teh right of the box IIRC. Unless you undo this one, the back clip will snap off if you force it. Once out just use my How to to fix it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 June 2007, 22:37:05 »

Omegatoy

I know that Andy but why does everyone insist on all that work taking the glovebox out ?????
just to fix the catch when the catch is in the lid???
and its just as easy putting it back on!! :y
Next time you do one, take some photos ;) :y (as if you haven't got enough on your plate at the moment!)
Grumpy old man

Brian T

• Intermediate Member
  • Addiscombe, Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 June 2007, 23:28:53 »

well my gob is well and truly smacked. 10 answers in 3 hours! This is the first time on any forum I've had such a good response.
This weekend it's coming off then. Might even manage some pictures to assist in Omegatoy's sticky ;)
Does anybody know if the lock assembly is available as a spare or is it like most things these days and I need to buy a whole side of car just to fix it!
Illegitimis nil carborundum

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 June 2007, 23:41:55 »

well my gob is well and truly smacked. 10 answers in 3 hours! ........

A bit slow tonight, eh!

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 June 2007, 10:25:29 »

well my gob is well and truly smacked. 10 answers in 3 hours! This is the first time on any forum I've had such a good response.
This weekend it's coming off then. Might even manage some pictures to assist in Omegatoy's sticky ;)
Does anybody know if the lock assembly is available as a spare or is it like most things these days and I need to buy a whole side of car just to fix it!
The actual handle is available seperately, about £5 from dealer, though you have to swap your lock barrel over.
Grumpy old man

dippydave

• Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
  • how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2007, 11:44:40 »

The actual handle is available seperately, about £5 from dealer, though you have to swap your lock barrel over.

Don't forget to watch out for those pesky springs..... :-?

i wish i'd know about the hinge pins before - thanks for increasing our knowledge Mr Toy!
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.