Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: rather Idler Arm :(  (Read 1733 times)

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
rather Idler Arm :(
« on: 01 September 2007, 23:13:16 »

So today I thought I start to change the steering idler arm on the mig.Put the car on ramps, undone the three nuts, put a jack under the idler arm to put pressure on, steel bar on the steering bar, club hammer and a whacking I did do. Three and a half hours later THE rather IDLER ARM IS STILL ON THE BLOODY CAR!!!!!!!  >:( >:( No matter how much we belted the bar it did not crack the idler arm. Yes coated it with WD40 left it to soak for about half an hour tried again still no joy. I think the only thing left is to heat the bloody thing up so its so hot that hopefully with a few whacks it should just pop off.  I have never had so much of a problem with an Idler arm than this one. This one is stuck on solid and it is not moving.

H   E   L   P   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to get this off before Wednesday as the car is going in for the rear handbrake shoes to be done. Ideally needs to come off tomorrow (sunday). Any other suggestions I could try?

Thnx Paul :y
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

paul.c

• Intermediate Member
  • east calder scotland
  • hands off shes mine
    • View Profile
Re: rather Idler Arm :(
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2007, 23:17:28 »

did you use the how to on this forum. i did and it was a easy.

dtnorth

« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2007, 23:21:14 »

What would the likes of KwiKfit and the rest charge for that...?

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2007, 23:21:25 »

did you use the how to on this forum. i did and it was a easy.

I have done an idler arm before and it just poped off with ease. I did follow the how to but the idler arm is just not moving at all. As said above I think the only thing that is left is to heat up the arm so hot it may be enough to pop it off, unless there is something else to try. Its stuck solid.

If there is anyone who is close by and not doing much tomorrow you are more than welcome to come and give me a hand  :) :) Anyone?
« Last Edit: 01 September 2007, 23:22:54 by vauxhallomega1 »

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2007, 23:25:33 »

I don't trust kwikfit if they can't balance wheels up properly and do tracking properly then they shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

paul.c

• Intermediate Member
  • east calder scotland
  • hands off shes mine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2007, 23:26:18 »

my mate keeps going on about the wonders of duck oil. WD40 is really only a water repelant.

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2007, 23:29:08 »

my mate keeps going on about the wonders of duck oil. WD40 is really only a water repelant.

WD was the only thing I had to hand at the time. It just seems as if it is welded to the rack, so thought about heating it might just crack the joint.

paul.c

• Intermediate Member
  • east calder scotland
  • hands off shes mine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2007, 23:30:02 »

I don't trust kwikfit if they can't balance wheels up properly and do tracking properly then they shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

yes thats true and they are flipping charging for it too. big time

paul.c

• Intermediate Member
  • east calder scotland
  • hands off shes mine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2007, 23:36:50 »

WD was the only thing I had to hand at the time. It just seems as if it is welded to the rack, so thought about heating it might just crack the joint.

yup go on heat has never let me down in the past go for it.I( not trying to sound like youre granny or something but be carefull ) good luck :y

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 September 2007, 23:40:04 »

yup go on heat has never let me down in the past go for it.I( not trying to sound like youre granny or something but be carefull ) good luck :y

The best thing I have got is a blow torch this should be enough to heat it up (hopefully), but I am not doing it my mate is I trust him with my wife!! ooppss sorry I mean Life.  ;D ;D ;D

paul.c

• Intermediate Member
  • east calder scotland
  • hands off shes mine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 September 2007, 23:48:42 »

The best thing I have got is a blow torch this should be enough to heat it up (hopefully), but I am not doing it my mate is I trust him with my wife!! ooppss sorry I mean Life.  ;D ;D ;D

christ mate you poor guy you need a blowtorch to heat youre wife up. my wife is out getting pxssed with her pal and she will be hot as hell when she gets in. about 3 ;)am

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 September 2007, 23:53:25 »

christ mate you poor guy you need a blowtorch to heat youre wife up. my wife is out getting pxssed with her pal and she will be hot as hell when she gets in. about 3 ;)am

Well you know what happens when they get to 40 they start to slow down  ;D ;D thats why she don't get hot flushes, thats why I need the blowtorch to heat the old bag up its the only way I get the sh3g these days anyway  :'(

paul.c

• Intermediate Member
  • east calder scotland
  • hands off shes mine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 September 2007, 23:55:46 »

;D ;D ;D ;D

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2007, 10:06:40 »

3 nuts? :o What 3?????

There are two nuts and geting it off using the how-2 is quiet easy.

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2007, 21:31:49 »

Well got the idler arm off today BUT with difficulty. Heated the arm up so much that eventually it came off but also knackered the main steering arm so the ball joint is a bit floppy. Whilst under the car we also replaced the track rod ends inner's and outer's and both lower wishbones. So my only question is does anyone have the steering arm that the track rod ends fit onto if socan I have it? problem is I will need one before Wednesday so you need to be close to me in Reading. I do deliveries in West Oxford (New Yatt and Witney) monday to friday so I can alway's meet you there, obviously at a pre appointed place and time.

Thanx for any help Paul  :y

P.S would also like to know where in Reading can I get full geomitry and tracking done?
« Last Edit: 02 September 2007, 21:34:45 by vauxhallomega1 »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.