Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will I need anything else?  (Read 1042 times)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
Will I need anything else?
« on: 15 September 2007, 20:33:48 »

Going to do my Drivers side Exhaust Manifold Gasket on monday (hopefully) along with the Aux Belt Tensioner Pulley :-?
Just want to see if I need anything else other than the manifold gasket from Vauxhall to do the job? I assume there is a O ring needed where the metal water pipe joins to the engine at the back? Also will I need some more studs?
Any help guys gratefully received as going to Ibiza on friday and need Vader to take me to the Airport :P
(MikeDundee you Vader thief) ;D
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
Re: Will I need anything else?
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2007, 20:38:08 »

Plenum seals maybe, water pipe o ring, i would if poss replace the studs and nuts. If you have an element filter you will need the housing to block o ring.
You will also need a plumbers gas torch to warm up the nuts a bit (aids removal and can save snapping the studs.)
Plusgas
You will also need the manifold to downpipe gasket.
If i remember anymore i will let you know.
HTH.
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

Mike Collins

• North of Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2007, 07:46:43 »

Lots of time, manifold and downpipe nut and gaskets, o ring for coolant pipe.
Expect the need to separate downpipe from cat, unless you are really lucky, angle grinder for the bolts. Drill and retap the the downpipe flange, M8 studding and nuts to refit.
Two large jubilee clips to fit around the heat shields to reduce the rattle.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2007, 08:29:47 »

Yep manifold gasket is a must plus the manifold to down pipe gasket and the coolat pipe to block rear seal.

My approach to this job is.

Drain the coolant

Jack the car up and remove the two front pipe to manifold nuts (should be easy on yours as it uses the later helicoiled nuts) and remove the bolt that secures the front pipe to the gearbox bracket. Pop the front pipe of the manifold studs (takes a bit of wiggling and sometimes requires a foot on the centre section silencer to get it off) and then tie the front pipe to th gearbox to give it some support before putting the car back on the floor.

Strip the inlet manifolds off and place to one side, no need to remove the lower manifold for this job (which saves th pain or removing 12 thread locked bolts!).

Now disconnect the pipes to the heater matrix assembly (fast fit conenctors, press the tabs and slide the collar back, twist the connectors a few time to free them off), disconnect the vaccum pipe that goes to the bypass valve  and disconnect the pipes that attach to the coolant bridge and main coolant pipe. Now remove the bypass valve and all its associated pipe work.

This gives a nice amount of space to work in.

Removal of the header tank (again easy)  gives more room to work in.

Disconnect the main radiator to coolant pipe hose at the front left of the engine and disconnect the air injection rubber coupling on the left side of the engine.

Remove the bolt on the 1-3-5 bank lifting eye that secures the coolant pipe to the negin and then remove the lifting eye (single bolt again)

Now, using a short extension on a ratchet, remove the two torx bolts (think there e12 but could be wrong) that secure the coolant pipe to the back of the block, for the right hand one you might have to ease the oil cooler pipes out the way a little.

The coolant pipe should now come out (honestly, it does, takes a bit of manouvering!).

Now spray all the heatshield bolts with penetrating fluid and go and have a cuppa.

Now remove the heat shields starting with the upper one, then the air injection pipe and finaly the lower one remembering that there is a securing bolt right at the rear of the manifold to the right of the downpipe connection.

Now pop the manifold off, again shouldn't be an issue given the age of the engine as again it has the later studs.

Clean the head face well and check the manifold carefuly for cracks (it seems to be only the Police that manage to crack them from my experience) before cleaning the face of it adn cehcking its flat, I use a belt sander to flatten them off a bit (makes cleaning easier to). I also use a tap and die to clean all the threads up.

Then re-assembly is reverse of removal, I use a small wipe of silicon (cam cover sealent or similar) on the rubber O ring for the coolant pipe just to hold it safely in place when re-fiting.

You also want to clean the rear block mating surface before re-fitting the pipe....
« Last Edit: 16 September 2007, 08:37:14 by Mark »

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2007, 08:33:31 »

Going to do my Drivers side Exhaust Manifold Gasket on monday (hopefully) along with the Aux Belt Tensioner Pulley :-?
Just want to see if I need anything else other than the manifold gasket from Vauxhall to do the job? I assume there is a O ring needed where the metal water pipe joins to the engine at the back? Also will I need some more studs?
Any help guys gratefully received as going to Ibiza on friday and need Vader to take me to the Airport :P
(MikeDundee you Vader thief) ;D

May the force be with you...... ;D

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2007, 08:38:43 »

And remember to put everything back in the right order  ::)

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2007, 12:29:38 »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2007, 18:02:12 »

Guide looks good Mark, I'll be doing this job myself shortly. (not on my car).

The two bolts that hold the coolant pipe to block are e10 - I find that a stubby torx spanner works well on the one nearest the oil cooler pipes - could also use an 8mm ring spanner, but not recommended in case the head of the bolt gets damaged.

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2007, 19:42:09 »

Right thanks for that Guys :y

Think I will get the parts and do it when I get back from Holiday just in case something goes wrong ::)

:y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2007, 19:56:14 »

Right thanks for that Guys :y

Think I will get the parts and do it when I get back from Holiday just in case something goes wrong ::)

:y

Good call  :y ;D

I just read Marks post and thought blimey!! You'd better take the Omega on holiday with you to finish it off...sounds like a lot of work there  :-/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.