Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Coolant flush  (Read 5369 times)

Wayne

Re: Coolant flush
« Reply #15 on: 16 September 2007, 17:19:26 »

so, when its nice and clear after a million re-fills and flushes, i just pour the new red coolant in? or do i have to make up a 50/50 mixture?
« Last Edit: 16 September 2007, 17:19:46 by Wayne »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 September 2007, 17:31:51 »

im getting up early Tuesday morning and going to attemp the "coolant flush and re-fill"

IM SCARED !!!!!!!!! LOL

i dont have anyone with a VX Trade Card, how many big bottles do i need of this long life red coolant?
how much is it per bottle?
where can i buy FORTE stuff from guys?

also, do i need to use the hose pipe for a better flushing? or is that too complicated?
im gonna flush me car as many times as it takes to clear the blue mucky gunk out
i just use water from the tap on every re-fill?

cheers  :y
As I keep saying, the offer of assistance is there if you are prepared to pop up here.  Vauxhall 'Red' is about £12 from dealer at retail prices.

Tap water is fine, esp if not too hard (I know Oxford is a little hard, should be OK).
Grumpy old man

Wayne

« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2007, 17:34:51 »

thanks for the offer mate, i might pop up on Tuesday then? is that OK?
what times best for you?
do you have a VX Card? hint hint hint, lol
do you have any spare anti-freeze?

:y

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2007, 17:40:52 »

If you have access to a hose then this will aid you no end, drain the radiator with the drain off valve when cold. Add a bottle of forte cooling system flush and top up with water to the cold mark. Run the engine or go for a drive to get the engine up to temp and get the flush around the whole system. Run the heater fans on full and hot settings to help get the heater matrix flushed.

Stop the motor and drain the radiator via the valve.]BEWARE THE WATER WILL BE VV HOT]
REMOVE THE RAD CAP SLOWLY  and wait for the engine to cool, remove the hose from the rad to the engine on the left of the engine[ silver pipe] and more water will pour out here.
if you have a secondary coolant pump bolted to the inner wing below the header tank remove one pipe and place your hose in this hose and flush through the heater matrix untill clean water emerges. open the rad valve again and now place the hose pipe into the disconnected rad hose and back flush the rad. close the rad valve and refit the rad to engine hose and coolant pump hose and refill the header tank.
Start the engine and the header tank level will drop as the water is taken around the system so keep an eye on the level top up untill the level stays the same. drain and repeat untill you have cleared all the flush and the water comes out clear. It takes a while to flush the v6 but it is worth it in the end.

:y
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Wayne

« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2007, 17:52:42 »

thanks Gary but that sounds a bit daunting for my 1st attempt, im just gonna drain it as i said, bit worried about unplugging stuff and all that...

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 September 2007, 18:17:58 »

im getting up early Tuesday morning and going to attemp the "coolant flush and re-fill"

IM SCARED !!!!!!!!! LOL

i dont have anyone with a VX Trade Card, how many big bottles do i need of this long life red coolant?
how much is it per bottle?
where can i buy FORTE stuff from guys?

also, do i need to use the hose pipe for a better flushing? or is that too complicated?
im gonna flush me car as many times as it takes to clear the blue mucky gunk out
i just use water from the tap on every re-fill?

cheers  :y

I thought you were a musician?  ;D ;D ;D
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 September 2007, 19:19:12 »

Ok it might  sound as if it is hard but i did it for the first time today so have a go, you cant really go wrong.
Gary.

Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 September 2007, 20:09:51 »

Thinkit would be worth taking out the thermostat next time I do mine (like some of you did say, but honestly it didn't say it on my bottle >:()
I am still getting green stuff in my reservoir.... keep trying to dilute it by dropping the water, flushing  then refilling with clean water....... will get there in the end ::)
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Wayne

« Reply #23 on: 16 September 2007, 20:56:41 »

Where would i find the thermostat? should i change it after doing my refill and flushing etc?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 September 2007, 21:31:00 »

Where would i find the thermostat? should i change it after doing my refill and flushing etc?

No, don't take the thermostat out just yet - that job is a little more challenging ;)

In the week, I can only do evenings, as I work all day.  Tuesday evening may be difficult, Wed evening may be better, I'll check...
Grumpy old man

Wayne

« Reply #25 on: 16 September 2007, 21:35:39 »

where can i get some FORTE from? Halfords?
theres not a vauxhall dealership for miles, what other coolant can i get?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 September 2007, 21:38:38 »

Thanks to all :)  Water is now very nearly clear, its had 8 changes .. and the 7th had a 250 mile drive :(. Mrs E dinked her clit, needs a new bonnet and headlamps ... found a source let me have them all for a tenner .. trouble was 125 miles away. Bonnet now fitted .. lights after work tomorow with luck. Then a final water flush and in goes the antifreeze :)

Off topic ... 250 miles at around 70-75 ...  80% motorway  averaged 36.7 mpg  :), and the boot was open all the way back with a clit bonnet sticking out of it !!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 September 2007, 21:50:06 »

where can i get some FORTE from? Halfords?
theres not a vauxhall dealership for miles, what other coolant can i get?
Forte not available from Halfords - thye only sell the rather poor Holts stuff, so try other factors.  Near you is Express factors on Pony Road Industrial estate (opposite BMW plant), and Holoway Autospares (opposite Smithe and Low on Holloway, Cowley).
Grumpy old man

Wayne

« Reply #28 on: 16 September 2007, 21:52:17 »

YOU KNOW OXFORD WELL THEN MATE  :y

i know where them stores are

i will pop into holloway autoparts tomorrow, do you think they will do FORTE then?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 September 2007, 21:58:45 »

YOU KNOW OXFORD WELL THEN MATE  :y

i know where them stores are

i will pop into holloway autoparts tomorrow, do you think they will do FORTE then?

Yup, I know Oxford - Mrs TheBoy came from Horspath, where her folks still live, and her brother lived down the Cowley Road for a few years (before moving to Bicester).

You may want to call them regarding Forte Cooling System Flush, very few places sell it.  Ebay is an option, a couple of people on there sell.

But before Forteing it, just flush it through wil water a few times first.

Vauxhall's own 'Red' antifreeze is recommended, unfortunately, I don't have any spare (unusually), and may not get to dealer for a few days (I need to get to one to get some more oil and antifreeze myself).
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.