Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Coolant flush  (Read 5368 times)

Wayne

Re: Coolant flush
« Reply #45 on: 19 September 2007, 00:16:38 »

thanks mate

im actually looking forward to doing those 2 jobs, it might make me feel more Manly, ha ha ha ha

i dont have access to a jack though! so im just gonna have to get a bad back crawling underneath etc

thanks for the tips, i was a bit worried about having to mix 50/50 etc
so i just pour the whole tub in then?

thanks very much

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 19 September 2007, 00:48:06 »

thanks mate

im actually looking forward to doing those 2 jobs, it might make me feel more Manly, ha ha ha ha

i dont have access to a jack though! so im just gonna have to get a bad back crawling underneath etc

thanks for the tips, i was a bit worried about having to mix 50/50 etc
so i just pour the whole tub in then?

thanks very much

You won't need a jack to reach the rain plug, it's on the passenger side of the rad  - at the bottom. You might need some pliers to undo it the first time .. I did.

Yes when you have clean water in the system just drain off what you can from the drain plug (which will be about a gallon) and then add all your 5l can of antifreeze - after you've tightened the drain plug up again though!   ;)   :y

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 19 September 2007, 01:09:16 »

I found two HBV failures a good way of flushing the system  ::)
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 19 September 2007, 09:19:39 »

Not a fan of any of the Castrol oils, never have been.  I think their TV advertising is better than their product.  To quote a family member who designs cars "best flush for engine is Castrol GTX, as it doesn't last so you'll need to drop it out again quick"

Seeing as Vauxhalls own semi synth is around £8 per 5l, bit of a no brainer really.  The Vauxhall stuff is pretty good, and goes in all my cars (2 Omegas, 1 Rover, the Kawasaki, and even the lawnmower)....

You need to double check what oil filter your car uses - up to 1998 its normally a spin on type (£1.40 ish from dealer on TC), from 1999 normally paper element (£4.50 ish from dealer on TC).

You can get a TC card for £20, so pays for itself straight away.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 19 September 2007, 10:55:06 »

Not a fan of any of the Castrol oils, never have been.  I think their TV advertising is better than their product.

Oil is like soap powder. You can't see what's actually going on inside your washing machine, just like you can't stick your head in the crankcase and see how the magnetic paritcles of oil are clinging to your bearings and protecting them, and rubbish like that  ::)

Your clothes come out of the machine clean regardless of the brand of powder you use and your engine doesn't sieze regardless of the oil you use.

How do you market such a product? Dream up some bull**it, put it in a glossy TV advert and wait for the gullible to bite!

Meanwhile, those without such huge advertising budgets can sell the same product for half the price.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 19 September 2007, 11:01:42 »

You need to double check what oil filter your car uses - up to 1998 its normally a spin on type (£1.40 ish from dealer on TC), from 1999 normally paper element (£4.50 ish from dealer on TC)........

?? prices 4r$e about face?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 19 September 2007, 11:36:27 »

You'd think so, given that you're getting about half as much product with the paper element but not so IME...

I guess the spin-on filters they can buy in dirt cheap because they're made in huge volumes whereas the paper elements may not be benefitting from such an economy of scale yet and have to be OEM produced.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 19 September 2007, 13:50:02 »

You need to double check what oil filter your car uses - up to 1998 its normally a spin on type (£1.40 ish from dealer on TC), from 1999 normally paper element (£4.50 ish from dealer on TC)........

Nope, the 'eco friendly' disposable paper element are 3 times the cost of the spin on filters....
Grumpy old man

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 22 September 2007, 12:22:27 »

Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1190460148]This Thread[/link]

Wayne

« Reply #54 on: 22 September 2007, 12:27:53 »

Just about to attempt the "coolant" change!

wish me luck!

my dads mate is doing my oil change as i cannot physically get under my car to change oil filter, plus he`s  GREAT MECHANIC and im just Lazy, ha ha ha

still waiting for someone to offer to do my ROCK GASKETS and BREATHER SYSTEM....please!!

bought all my bits this morning from VX in Oxford

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 22 September 2007, 12:46:27 »

Wayne did you check out the pm i sent you the other day ;)  I do not go to Oxford for bits I go to Banbury for mine they seem more helpful If you need bits let me know I have a TC  I haved saved loads using this well worth the £20  :y  

Wayne

Re: Coolant flush and more!
« Reply #56 on: 22 September 2007, 14:28:24 »

Thanks mate!
i got your PM, but desperate to get it done today, but thanks anyway buddy
will come see you next time when it needs doing

how often should i do a coolant flush and change do you all think?
after how many miles?
also, how about oil changes.... how frequent?

i bought some RED Antifreeze from VX in Oxford today, and i ordered a NEW Rear windscreen wiper arm with VX wiper blade, even though my blade is 2 days old made by Bosch!
want to see IF the VX blades are any better

anyway, the antifreeze cost me £11.39 for the 5 litre container
the wiper arm and blade cost me £23.44

i have just come indoors from doing the 1st stage of my 1st coolant flush, im very proud of myself  ;D
i tried to get the radiator plug out and it wouldnt come off, so bit of WD40 cured that!
im not sure IF its ever had a coolant flush, no way for me to check, i know it hasnt had one done since i have had the car in 5 years!
i drained all the horrid blue gunk out etc, then flushed it and re-filled it another 4 times, infact after the 3rd attempt the water was nice and clear anyway.... then i filled it up again and added the Forte coolant flush and run the car for 35 minutes with the heater on Maximum while i had a cuppa
will now leave the car for a good 90 minutes to cool down (should be enough?)
will then empty again and refill and flush 2 more times, just incase!
then its time to add the new antifreeze, add the full 5 litres in 1 go ?
does that sound about right?

let me know IF what i have done so far sounds hunky dory?

my dads mate has ordered the other parts for my oil change
genuine VX oil filter, and i have chosen 10w/40 Castrol Magnatec, my choice i know and my preference

just need to get an annoying 4 inch spot of rust done on the rear drivers side passenger door near the window and im all done, well............ errrr..........for now!

strangely, that burning oily rubbery smell isnt as strong!
dont know whats happened, seems to be less noticeable
i would really love to know about my rocker gaskets and IF they are all ok

Laters guys  :y
« Last Edit: 22 September 2007, 14:32:56 by Wayne »

Wayne

« Reply #57 on: 22 September 2007, 19:10:05 »

I spoke to soon!

what the hell have i done wrong?

i done my coolant today with all the flushes and drains, 5-6 times! and with forte coolant flush etc etc

the water was running nice and clear on the final drain, so filled up the car with the VX antifreeze, nice and red!

left the car for 2 and 1/2 hours, just checked now and the coolant has gone back to murky blue!
whats gone wrong?

do i have to go an buy MORE red antifreeze and do it all again?

i dont understand!

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 22 September 2007, 19:17:31 »

Bet you didn't run the engine between flushes.......  

By draining/filling you only get half the water out.  The remainder is still within the engine block and system and needs the engine run for a wee bit to circulate the water.  That dilutes the mix to a paler shade.  Drain, refill, restart and circulate then drain again... and again ... and again.   Then it will run clear, drain, refill and away you go....   :y
« Last Edit: 22 September 2007, 19:23:39 by hotel21 »

Wayne

« Reply #59 on: 22 September 2007, 19:23:20 »

bugger that, i been at this all day, poured 5 litres of antifreeze in etc
i didnt know you had to run the engine everytime you flushed it
trouble is i heard that IF you keep doing that, and then you add cold water, you could crack something by adding cold to hot?
IF i have to wait for the engine to cool down on each flush, that will be about 12 hours to get it all sorted?

so, what was nice red antifreeze is STILL back to what it was!

damm it!

i knew id mess it up, only i could!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 17 queries.