Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: Project Tractor engine swap  (Read 46428 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Project Tractor engine swap
« Reply #135 on: 22 August 2007, 22:24:04 »

Anyone with a tractor check the connections to starter?  I have main feed straight from battery going to large middle bolt, the small wire going to the 8mm bolt, and 2 wires, medium thickness, to the 10mm bolt...

Could you not test wires to starter using 12v test lamp, one of the small wires sounds like a perm ign on feed..  When you key on ignition swtich to ign lamps on does the starter solenoid try to engage i.e clicking from solenoid if keyed on and off. If so remove wires one at a time till this stops then fit that that wire to the other post. Or! you have a sticking starter relay not disengaging starter once engine fired. Without wiring diagram hard to tell which one it is, but if you have tis send me pm a copy of wiring daigram of starter system and i'll check for you. also early and late pump wiring diags. Hope you don't mind if it sounds like i'm telling you to suck eggs but sometimes another pair of eyes and all that :)
All help appreciated.

Starter seems to work exactly as it should, until engine is running, then it seems to stay engaged (as if feed from alternator is going back to starter solenoid).  If it is sticking, thats 2 starter motors thats got same issue...
Grumpy old man

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 22 August 2007, 22:30:52 »

Anyone with a tractor check the connections to starter?  I have main feed straight from battery going to large middle bolt, the small wire going to the 8mm bolt, and 2 wires, medium thickness, to the 10mm bolt...

Could you not test wires to starter using 12v test lamp, one of the small wires sounds like a perm ign on feed..  When you key on ignition swtich to ign lamps on does the starter solenoid try to engage i.e clicking from solenoid if keyed on and off. If so remove wires one at a time till this stops then fit that that wire to the other post. Or! you have a sticking starter relay not disengaging starter once engine fired. Without wiring diagram hard to tell which one it is, but if you have tis send me pm a copy of wiring daigram of starter system and i'll check for you. also early and late pump wiring diags. Hope you don't mind if it sounds like i'm telling you to suck eggs but sometimes another pair of eyes and all that :)
All help appreciated.

Starter seems to work exactly as it should, until engine is running, then it seems to stay engaged (as if feed from alternator is going back to starter solenoid).  If it is sticking, thats 2 starter motors thats got same issue...

Would either of you medium thickness wires fit on the battery terminal post instead of the 10mm post. Thinking alternator feed wire is powering up solenoid intead of charging battery.
You came in that, your braver than i thought

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 22 August 2007, 22:35:52 »

All help appreciated.

Would either of you medium thickness wires fit on the battery terminal post instead of the 10mm post. Thinking alternator feed wire is powering up solenoid intead of charging battery.
I need to double check some wiring, but I don't believe the haynes wiring diagram.  I am 99% sure I have wired up as per how it was before.  Not sure that thick wire on 10mm bolt will fit the 13mm one.

I would have got the meter out when it showed same symptoms, but means the rather intake all has to come off again, stupid bloody BMW design  >:(
Grumpy old man

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 22 August 2007, 22:47:22 »

All help appreciated.

I need to double check some wiring, but I don't believe the haynes wiring diagram.  I am 99% sure I have wired up as per how it was before.  Not sure that thick wire on 10mm bolt will fit the 13mm one.

I would have got the meter out when it showed same symptoms, but means the rather intake all has to come off again, stupid bloody BMW design  >:(

And i thought beemers were the nuts, Maybe the engineers didn't like the fact they were told to build an oil burner so made it  'kin hard to work on!!!  Still i admire your perseverance lesser mortals would have flogged it by now saying "oh yeah just needs a new starter was running perfect till then"  ;D  have you checked at battery to see if charge is getting to it with engine running, or do a continuity test from alternator wire at rear of alternator to battery connection might be quick easy test. If no continuity then alt wire is not joined to battery wire at starter. Just out of interest do they use 2 wires from back of alternator to starter or just 1

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 22 August 2007, 22:56:01 »

All help appreciated.

And i thought beemers were the nuts, Maybe the engineers didn't like the fact they were told to build an oil burner so made it  'kin hard to work on!!!  Still i admire your perseverance lesser mortals would have flogged it by now saying "oh yeah just needs a new starter was running perfect till then"  ;D  have you checked at battery to see if charge is getting to it with engine running, or do a continuity test from alternator wire at rear of alternator to battery connection might be quick easy test. If no continuity then alt wire is not joined to battery wire at starter. Just out of interest do they use 2 wires from back of alternator to starter or just 1
I think on of the wires on starter is wrong.

As you suggested, and as I thought, I reckon alternator is provide power to starter solenoid.  That would explian why it stays engaged when running, and why it appeared last alternator wasn't working (wasn't connected to battery).  I think I need to move one of the wires from 10mm bolt on starter (solenoid feed) to 13mm bolt (batt feed) - I bet that is wire from alternator.

I'll get meter out tomorrow, once I get that effing intake off again  >:(

I bet there is sod all wrong with starter or alternator  >:( - so thats 2 evenings wasted  >:(  >:(
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 22 August 2007, 22:57:36 »

And i thought beemers were the nuts
You must be joking!  Their warranty claims are some of the highest in the industry ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 22 August 2007, 22:59:26 »

For those who suggested modifying pump timing, using a ruler to measure distanace from top of pump to block, original engine 89mm, donor 88.5mm, and I would guess that 0.5mm may just be the accuracy of trying to measure it...
Grumpy old man

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 22 August 2007, 23:04:51 »

Good luck with it TB, sounds like another trip to the offy for another 6 pack. Forget the matches and petrol this is good get your teeth into stuff. Frustrating as hell (ah how i remember my first job on my v6 that flaming exhaust manifold)  but in a few weeks time you'll look back and laugh................            Don't you hate it when people say that >:( ;D
I look forward to the next post :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 22 August 2007, 23:16:23 »

Keep your pecker up, TB.   :y

Remember you can always have the last laugh on the chunk of tin thats causing you grief - weigh it in and get a hundred quid at the scrappies or break the bu**er into its components and make a reasonable return.

Or do not accept defeat and ensure you get the upper hand, thanks to the help and encouragement of others on here.... ;)

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 22 August 2007, 23:20:34 »

Just make sure if you do scrap it it dies completely. I remember seeing and reading "Christine"  That scared the shit out of mechanics even when squashed by tractor the thing still kept on going  ;) :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 23 August 2007, 09:26:55 »

I seem to recall the starter setup on these being a bit odd.

I 'think' there is an extra wire which connects to the glow plugs (or one of the other diesel engine ancillaries) from the starter. I will check this evening and work it through.

Martin_1962

« Reply #146 on: 23 August 2007, 10:12:20 »

And i thought beemers were the nuts
You must be joking!  Their warranty claims are some of the highest in the industry ;)

BMW UK I have issues with after the way they mistreated Gloucesters dealer >:(

The bastards put a whole garage out of work because they were so good at fixing problems that Cheltenham was losing work too them.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 23 August 2007, 18:55:58 »

I 'think' there is an extra wire which connects to the glow plugs (or one of the other diesel engine ancillaries) from the starter. I will check this evening and work it through.
Found what I did wrong, my mistake when I reassmebled.  Could have sworn I had it right, but sitting down with a meter and a bit of logic, it was obviously wrong.

Starter motor now working as expetcted, as is alternator.

Fuse for the fuel pump now replaced ::) (Fuse 18).
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 23 August 2007, 18:59:05 »

Found what I did wrong, my mistake when I reassmebled.  Could have sworn I had it right, but sitting down with a meter and a bit of logic, it was obviously wrong.

Starter motor now working as expetcted, as is alternator.

Fuse for the fuel pump now replaced ::) (Fuse 18).

So it's now running fine?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 23 August 2007, 19:20:55 »

So it's now running fine?
Trust me, if it was running right, this forum would be under no doubt about it.

Its 'running' like a bag of shite - a bugger to start, clattery, smokes like a steam train, stalls a lot, lumpy idle, slow to build up revs....  ...need i go on?
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 33   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.