Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: From V-power to Shell 95 ron  (Read 3466 times)

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
From V-power to Shell 95 ron
« on: 03 December 2007, 12:47:13 »

With the price of petrol up by the day i gave shell 95 ron a try to see if it would make much diff and the fact that it,s about 8p less. The car has always ran on V-power 98% of the time.  Now i put £10 In last night and on the way into work the car seem not a resposive and just slower that before. Not much be when you drive 60 miles a day you can tell the diff. Has anyone else had this prob.
The car is a 3.2 v6 with a remap.

I,m off soon to get some V-Power and see if it helps.      
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: From V-power to Shell 95 ron
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2007, 13:25:58 »

It will perform slightly lower on 95 than 98, as it wont advance as much.

Persoanlly, I've found my 3.0l performs better on BP Ultimate than V-Power, which is a shame as I have a Shell credit card, and currently get 6% off....
Grumpy old man

theowletman

• Chester-le-street, Co. Durham
  • Mines a pint !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2007, 13:45:02 »

There is definitely a difference between the fuels, both petrol and diesel. When I was working as a courier I used a lot of fuel, mainly diesel, if I filled up at the local Safeway supermarket I got 80 miles less per tankfull than if I filled up at an Esso or Shell. With unleaded I get about 45 / 50 miles less per tank when using normal unleaded than using super unleaded, the difference in cost outweighs the lower miles so I reckon there is no real difference in cost.
I wonder if anyone agrees that the fuel you buy in France or Spain is better than what we get in the UK, I think it is, it even smells different, any views ?

Boldy

• Latvia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2007, 16:13:19 »

There is definitely a difference between the fuels, both petrol and diesel. When I was working as a courier I used a lot of fuel, mainly diesel, if I filled up at the local Safeway supermarket I got 80 miles less per tankfull than if I filled up at an Esso or Shell. With unleaded I get about 45 / 50 miles less per tank when using normal unleaded than using super unleaded, the difference in cost outweighs the lower miles so I reckon there is no real difference in cost.
I wonder if anyone agrees that the fuel you buy in France or Spain is better than what we get in the UK, I think it is, it even smells different, any views ?

Well, it always seems that fuel is better in other countrys than in your`s ::) My experiance have proved it many times lol

jemis

• Teesside
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2007, 16:26:25 »

In most other countries v power is 100ron compaired to ours which is now 99. I could tell a difference in performance in my old mv6 on optimax as it was at the time and that was 98 ron I think. I have had my cosworth tested on a rolling road with tescos 95 and v power HUGE difference :
95 ron - 374bhp
v power - 406bhp
Don't know if it makes a difference on economy it drinks it too fast to tell however my wifes merc 220 diesel does an extra 50 - 60 miles per tank on v power diesel and seems more responsive trouble is its now £1.11 a litre so chip fat from now on I think.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2007, 19:09:31 »

Turbocharged cars will see a much more significant difference than NA. Anything but the most lightly blown engine should be on super unleaded all the time, IMHO, especially so if it's got no knock control. Mate of mine mullered his Cosworth engine pretty badly by taking on cr@p fuel whilst driving across the US.  Car's so loud he didn't hear it complaining.:(

Noticed at the local Chinese cash and carry yesterday that they have 20l drums of rapeseed cooking oil for 15 quid. Sounds a better deal than diesel these days...

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

jemis

• Teesside
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2007, 19:16:13 »

Crap fuel is destroyer of most tuned engines with out a doubt cossies especially as they don't have knock sensors, fortunately I have a fully programmable water injection system on mine which I can adjust to suite if I'm stuck and can only get low grade fuel. I also lower the boost just to be on the safe side.

jemis

• Teesside
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2007, 19:18:00 »

My mate reckons you can get 20lt of veg oil from tescos for £10

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2007, 19:46:26 »

My mate reckons you can get 20lt of veg oil from tescos for £10
OK so how can I run my TD on Tesco's finest?
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing

jemis

• Teesside
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2007, 20:01:24 »

I don't know exactly but my mate runs his transit and an old diesel corsa on it, I think he mixes it with a bit of parrafin to make it burn stronger.

I'm not sure how a modern diesel would react to it otherwise I would have it in the wifes. if anyone has tried it let us know if it works.

chrisdb

• Intermediate Member
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2007, 20:24:32 »

I've heard you can use veg oil, but I'd read this first before you try  ;D

http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=132112&highlight=vegetable
TC Card, will buy parts for members near by. V6 Camshaft locking kit can rent out to members at club rates.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2007, 00:16:40 »

I've seen that article before - is it a wind up?  ;D

I don't see a difference between any petrols performance wise - although I like BP ultimate, apart from the price.

Saying that, LPG is about 100+ octane, so when set up well, results are v impressive...

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2007, 12:25:46 »

I am not at all convinced super makes any difference in the Omega.   However it may take the ECU a while to adjust to the regular fuel and I suppose you may notice this.   I would run it on regular Shell for a couple of tankfulls and see what you think.   (just noticed you have a remap - I suppose that could make a difference.)

Neil_MV6

• Sutton Coldfield-West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2007, 12:34:27 »

With unleaded I get about 45 / 50 miles less per tank when using normal unleaded than using super unleaded, the difference in cost outweighs the lower miles so I reckon there is no real difference in cost.
quote]

Might seem a silly question to some but why would you get more mpg with higher octane fuel?  I thought it'd be the other way round if anything. Isn't a set amount of fuel squirted at a given time...how does the engine know it's higher octane?

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2007, 12:41:08 »

what did you have it mapped on? if it was on 98 then i wouldnt run it on 95.
sideways is the way forward!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.