Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: diesal  (Read 1449 times)

mickh

• baston
    • View Profile
diesal
« on: 19 February 2008, 20:08:39 »

hi there new to site but would any tips on buying a diesal estate have been advised about not getting an auto any other advice
with thanks mick

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: diesal
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2008, 20:10:40 »

hi there new to site but would any tips on buying a diesal estate have been advised about not getting an auto any other advice
with thanks mick
what age you looking at?  2.5 BMW powered unit until 2000, Vauxhall 2.2 4 cylinder unit from 2001.
Grumpy old man

mickh

• baston
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2008, 20:18:41 »

a bmw 2.5 i think do not want to send to much on one

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2008, 20:23:02 »

a bmw 2.5 i think do not want to send to much on one
Overrated, under powered lump, desperately expensive when it goes wrong.

So, ensure it starts absolutely on the button, no misfires, power lack, or any issue with the engine at all.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2008, 20:45:52 »

BMW 2.5 needs an oil change every 3k max if you want the engine to last.

Don't pay too much for one... remember a 2.5v6 could be a lot cheaper, and around town there will not be much difference in fuel consumption

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2008, 20:48:01 »

Don't pay too much for one... remember a 2.5v6 could be a lot cheaper, and around town there will not be much difference in fuel consumption
As do most diesels tbh.

If it helps, I average 37.2mpg currently - thats the average over 3,500 miles, and is mostly my shitty journey in to work.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2008, 20:52:33 »

As do most diesels tbh.

If it helps, I average 37.2mpg currently - thats the average over 3,500 miles, and is mostly my naffty journey in to work.

I think any car in private ownership should be done every 3k, its made the world of difference to my 2.2

If i keep the V6, it will get the same treatment!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2008, 20:54:41 »

As do most diesels tbh.

If it helps, I average 37.2mpg currently - thats the average over 3,500 miles, and is mostly my naffty journey in to work.

I think any car in private ownership should be done every 3k, its made the world of difference to my 2.2

Ah, but will you buy your own oil next time ;D
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2008, 20:55:41 »

As do most diesels tbh.

Ah, but will you buy your own oil next time ;D

;D ;D

Big Fra

• Omega Knight
  • Motherwell
  • I will ride with miggy pride once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2008, 20:58:45 »

I would like info on this as well. I have a 2.5 manual but really want an auto and love the 6cyl noise.

The v6 is only getting me 22 average, went a run to edinburgh today, did a but of running about and at a steady 65 on the motorway, overall 27 mpg.

This is rare and very much a one off.

I really like the sound of a td elite, but want an autobox. Was looking at getting it chipped, but heard the gearbox will spit the dummy out.

What should I do?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2008, 21:01:21 »

I would like info on this as well. I have a 2.5 manual but really want an auto and love the 6cyl noise.

The v6 is only getting me 22 average, went a run to edinburgh today, did a but of running about and at a steady 65 on the motorway, overall 27 mpg.

I really like the sound of a td elite, but want an autobox. Was looking at getting it chipped, but heard the gearbox will spit the dummy out.

What should I do?
If you want an auto tractor, it will have to be the 2.5TD.  Mine is chipped to achieve that economy, and I had to put the stronger AR35 on to take the power.  Shame the rear tyres only did 4k, but thats because they are crappy Avon ZZ3s....
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2008, 21:04:42 »

What should I do?
If you want an auto tractor, it will have to be the 2.5TD.  Mine is chipped to achieve that economy, and I had to put the stronger AR35 on to take the power.  Shame the rear tyres only did 4k, but thats because they are crappy Avon ZZ3s....

Chip a TD with the standard autobox, and you will have to get out and push it inside 500 miles.

The standard boxes blow at around 130k without being chipped.

Later 2.2 DTi's are not available as autos.

You 2.5 sounds a tad thirsty... even on a local country run to my scappy (about 12 miles of country roads loads of roundabouts and villages) my 3.0 Auto averaged 30.4,  with an overall of 29.7 by the time i got home...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2008, 21:06:47 »

even on a local country run to my scappy (about 12 miles of country roads loads of roundabouts and villages) my 3.0 Auto averaged 30.4,  with an overall of 29.7 by the time i got home...
But you drive like grandad - I was embarrassed when the combine harvester overtook us ;D
Grumpy old man

Big Fra

• Omega Knight
  • Motherwell
  • I will ride with miggy pride once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2008, 21:35:10 »

What should I do?

Chip a TD with the standard autobox, and you will have to get out and push it inside 500 miles.

The standard boxes blow at around 130k without being chipped.

Later 2.2 DTi's are not available as autos.

You 2.5 sounds a tad thirsty... even on a local country run to my scappy (about 12 miles of country roads loads of roundabouts and villages) my 3.0 Auto averaged 30.4,  with an overall of 29.7 by the time i got home...

So it's a BMW 530d for me then?
I'm certainly up for building my perfect miggy, but tbh i'd rather have a petrol omega with a v8 or a **** turbo. :y

For weekend, track and playing with.

Have the beemer as a tow vehicle and a daily runner. These can do 35-40mpg ave with an autobox.

Could I live with a 2.5 td manual?

Dunno, but I could play with the engine quite a bit then ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2008, 21:35:21 »

even on a local country run to my scappy (about 12 miles of country roads loads of roundabouts and villages) my 3.0 Auto averaged 30.4,  with an overall of 29.7 by the time i got home...
But you drive like grandad - I was embarrassed when the combine harvester overtook us ;D

yeah yeah laugh it up....  >:(
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.