Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Alarm fault Omega Estate 2.2  (Read 5603 times)

GrayUK

• Dunstable
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm fault Omega Estate 2.2
« Reply #30 on: 26 February 2008, 19:35:21 »

Well….over 24hrs now and not a false alarm … [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
Looks like Debs was on the button. ;)
Thanks to all who posted and especially to Debs who gave me the step-by-step instructions. :-*

A very thankful (and more peaceful)  8-)
Paul

GrayUK

• Dunstable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 February 2008, 19:15:04 »

Well all, 2 days now, all quiet  [smiley=beer.gif]

I will have a good hack into the power sounder to see what i find, any advice on cutting it open?

robbo299

• luton, beds
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 February 2008, 19:31:09 »

Hiya, See your just around the corner from me. Regarding the power sounder... ive seen some posts where carefully cutting the case open and resealing again with super glue/tape is possible. Been there done that regarding your probs with power sounder.

GrayUK

• Dunstable
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 February 2008, 19:33:32 »

Thanks
I am going to give it a go and replace the batteries.

robbo299

• luton, beds
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 February 2008, 19:39:36 »

Got round problem of alarm going off by locking car by opening rear passenger door ( drivers side ) and pushing down drivers door locking button. Central locking activated but still allowed rear door to be closed. Only prob is no alarm. Did this for a peaceful nights sleep and to appease the neighbours. Went to local vaux dealer the other day to get some touch up paint and asked about price for new power sounder. Was quoted £68+vat. My ask to get new one fitted when car goes in for service. Does power sounder give 3 or 4 beeps when you start up after leaving car for several hours and then going on short journey? This , i am told , is a sign that the power sounder is on it's way out.

Debs.

« Reply #35 on: 27 February 2008, 19:48:11 »

Well….over 24hrs now and not a false alarm … [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
Looks like Debs was on the button. ;)
Thanks to all who posted and especially to Debs who gave me the step-by-step instructions. :-*

A very thankful (and more peaceful)  8-)
Paul
Hiya Paul,
That`s smashing news to read!...... ;)
You are very welcome; `delighted to help......a very welcome return to peace and quiet and a good night`s rest for you and yours.  :y

Just a thought: Why not make a how-to series of pics/instructions for repairing a Power Sounder (cutting open/replacing NiCads) and post it on the forum, so that others with similar problem-units can benefit?

GrayUK

• Dunstable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27 February 2008, 20:06:41 »

Debs
Thanks again, i dont twitch anymore when i hear a car horn go off! :D

Yes i will do a repair thread with pics, good idea  :y
Robbo
I had no warning it just started doing it, once or twice to start with and then very regular. If you want to prove it is the power sounder, do what i did (follow Debs instructions) and leave the main alarm horn in place, you will know for sure then. It is easy to do with minimal tools, takes about 1/2 hour.

robbo299

• luton, beds
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 February 2008, 20:53:50 »

Thanx. Debs info very helpful like you said. Proved it was the power sounder so may replace unit soon. It will be intersting to see what batteries are in the unit. I have been selling watch, camera, key fob batteries etc. as a sideline for over 25 years and i know i can get hold of virtually any battery. If you do manage to get the unit apart make a note of the batteries and pm me the number/voltage etc and if you need any let me know. If i can get them i will let you know as soon as i can. Probally, as a fellow OOF member, at no charge as i order most spares for the multi national company i work for...if you know what i mean. :y

GrayUK

• Dunstable
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 February 2008, 21:23:21 »

Form what Debs says they are 1.2 volt AA nicads.

Interesting choice of battery type, as these are only good for about 1000 cycles normally.
I use them all the time in RC model Jets, i look after them with a computerised charger cycler. Nicad (Nicle Cadmium) hate 'just being topped up' which is what will be happening in the power sounder. I use the computer to discharge and balance them once a month, it tells me the capacity of the cells. Once they start to drop from the stated capacity they are binned!

To be honest I am surprised they last as long as they do in they way they are used.

In the last 7 years Nicads and NiMH ( Nicle Metal Hydride) batteries have come a long way, the chances are that the ones in the sounder are as little as 600ma capacity, now you can buy the same cells (AA) with 3.5 AMP capacity. New ones are on the horizon that will give 4.5 AMP from the same size cells. If I change them I will fit higher capacity ones.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27 February 2008, 21:37:54 »

Power sounder - designed by GM to extract more money from Omega owners

Designed by Megamos actualy and used in pretty much every exec car setup out there.....

I have said it many times.....car manufacturers make only a very small percentage of thier own parts and buy most as standard items off the shelf these days.....

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 February 2008, 21:40:36 »

Form what Debs says they are 1.2 volt AA nicads.

Interesting choice of battery type, as these are only good for about 1000 cycles normally.
I use them all the time in RC model Jets, i look after them with a computerised charger cycler. Nicad (Nicle Cadmium) hate 'just being topped up' which is what will be happening in the power sounder. I use the computer to discharge and balance them once a month, it tells me the capacity of the cells. Once they start to drop from the stated capacity they are binned!

To be honest I am surprised they last as long as they do in they way they are used.

In the last 7 years Nicads and NiMH ( Nicle Metal Hydride) batteries have come a long way, the chances are that the ones in the sounder are as little as 600ma capacity, now you can buy the same cells (AA) with 3.5 AMP capacity. New ones are on the horizon that will give 4.5 AMP from the same size cells. If I change them I will fit higher capacity ones.

Not AA cells, they are an industry spec sub AA type affair with anumber in series get the V's up...

They are Nicad and you cant use NiMh as the charging characteristics are different

Reality is its amazing they last as long as they do and you cant make them easy to get and change coz you wouldn't get your Thatcham approval  :-/

robbo299

• luton, beds
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 February 2008, 22:05:52 »

Methinks i will splash out the spondulicks and get a replacement from local vaux dealer. I will split the old one to see what batteries do go inside. Neighbour had his Merc 4x4 stolen from outside his house last week and my Miggy was parked behind his at the time. He did get it back after a week when the police caught some scumbags using it "off road" 15 miles away. Think i had better get it sorted sooner rather than later. Only had it a couple of months and getting quite fond of it! ha ha. Plus if the worse did happen i don't know how the insurance company would react.

bigall

• merseyside
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 February 2008, 23:02:16 »

iirc - doesnt a new power sounder need to be talked to by tech2
I drive a moneypit Omega - at least its comfortable!!!!!  200k approaching rapidly!!!!!!!!! "") (must change oil soon)

GrayUK

• Dunstable
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 28 February 2008, 07:43:36 »

1) Sub AA do you mean AAA? They are available.
2) NmHI could be used; I charge them regularly as Nicads however it would be preferable to use Nicads. Yes the charge characteristics are different but that is only relevant if you are using a Peak Detect fast charger. I doubt if the charge to them is anything but a simple constant trickle charge.
3) I cannot imagine that a new sounder needs to be setup on Tech 2. It is nothing more than a self-contained voltage ‘watcher’. Mine is removed and the ECU does not even know.
I look forward to cutting this up now; should be fun. ::)

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.