Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: ecu problem [i think]  (Read 11031 times)

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
  • this is some MOT advisory list!.
    • View Profile
Re: ecu problem [i think]
« Reply #15 on: 04 August 2008, 13:39:19 »

this is getting from bad to worse, as ive said ive fitted an AR35 but the problem is still there, bought an ECU as the guy said it should fit, received this morning & its a later one so it dont fit,he wont change it, i cant find any around the local breakers, i cant list a wanted on here as im a "newbie" & to top it all off i have 1 week from today to move the car as my neighbours move has gone through!, so im having a great week & its only monday, so to sum up,,,,,im thoroughly p***ed off!, so if somebody knows where i can get a g/box ECU for my 95 c,d t.d auto cheap/ish you would be a life saver, im unemployed at the mo so cant afford to pay top money but i`ll see what i can scrape together.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 August 2008, 13:41:08 »

whoa what are your symptoms?

Need to take a methodical approach here... tell me exactly what's going on and I'll try and advise, but I can't make anything out of your first post :y

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 August 2008, 13:54:46 »

HI James,well ive tried everything else i think, ive changed the box for an ar35, as advised,the original problem was [& still is] the auto box warning, it will only drive as a manual with this g/box as it did with the ar25 box, the switch on the side has been changed & set up, i cant get the car to the guy in notts as i have no tax, to buy the tax ive got to sell the car im using at the moment, i need a car for interviews etc so like i say its a great week so far!, but if you have any other ideas that will get my baby up & running please feel free to advise me as i do know my way around cars but please dont ask me to take the g/box back out!!, oh & by the way, the "autobox check" comes up before its even started which does point to electricals i would have said unless ive missed something, im waiting in anticipation ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 August 2008, 14:59:42 »

As I have always said, I very much doubt the ECU has failed.  Never, ever seen or even heard of a failed TCM ECU.

Next step would be to get the codes read from the ECU.
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 04 August 2008, 15:08:37 »

i am out of my league here, but i have heard of
Strange thing like this cured by disconnecting the
Battery for i while (5 mins?) re reconnect, turn on
the ignition but touch nothing (let it re boot, so to
speak) leave it for 5mins or so and then start the car.
It has worked  on other makes of car, but no idea
If its any good on the mig. Make sure you have all
Your radio and cd codes etc. First tho.

Might be worth waiting for others to confirm if this
Is a good idea or not, i dont want to make things
Worse for you, but i cant see how it could hurt
The car tbh.

Just a thought. Ya never know...

Edited.Ps i am thinking your check fault may refur to
Your old gearbox and it may not know it has a new
One. This may give it a chance to clear the codes
And start fresh? BUT, OBVIOUSLY the code history
Could be lost, which may not be a good idea???
Anyone?

« Last Edit: 04 August 2008, 15:24:18 by chrisgixer »

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 August 2008, 15:44:12 »

thanks for that, well i had the battery disconnected for 1&1/2 days while i changed the gearbox!, ive had the ecu sitting indoors for 2 days but as you say strange things can happen, i know "the boy" says about getting the ECU codes read but what exactly does this tell me?, are there compatibility issues? or does it tell me if it is the box or the ECU at fault, only the guy i got it off was told it was the g/box so he got it changed, despite changing the box it was still the same, he had it tested again & it still said the gearbox, the guy who tested it said it must be the ECU or the wiring to it as the gearbox was a known good one, ive since put on a AR35 box which again is a known good one. & of course the same result,im just frightened im going to get the same answer from marks DTM & taking a chance going there,[no tax etc] perhaps if there is some voltage checks i can do either at the g/box switch OR the ecu multiplug, im sorry if im being a pain but ive got no way of getting it to MARKS DTM as the way my luck is going id get pulled up going over there, i know you say that youve never heard of an ECU going F.U.B.A.R but there is always a first time or is it normal for a ECU to have issues with a different g/box?, if i could just lay my hands on a known good one it would help wouldnt it?, anyhow im going round & round in circles & im sure you are p***ed off with me going on about it so i`ll see what comes of this post :'(

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 August 2008, 15:50:26 »

thanks CHRISGIXER, this is the problem i have that i havent been told EXACTLY what the ECU does [or doesnt in my case!],,,oh well!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 August 2008, 15:50:45 »

thanks for that, well i had the battery disconnected for 1&1/2 days while i changed the gearbox!, ive had the ecu sitting indoors for 2 days but as you say strange things can happen, i know "the boy" says about getting the ECU codes read but what exactly does this tell me?, are there compatibility issues? or does it tell me if it is the box or the ECU at fault, only the guy i got it off was told it was the g/box so he got it changed, despite changing the box it was still the same, he had it tested again & it still said the gearbox, the guy who tested it said it must be the ECU or the wiring to it as the gearbox was a known good one, ive since put on a AR35 box which again is a known good one. & of course the same result,im just frightened im going to get the same answer from marks DTM & taking a chance going there,[no tax etc] perhaps if there is some voltage checks i can do either at the g/box switch OR the ecu multiplug, im sorry if im being a pain but ive got no way of getting it to MARKS DTM as the way my luck is going id get pulled up going over there, i know you say that youve never heard of an ECU going F.U.B.A.R but there is always a first time or is it normal for a ECU to have issues with a different g/box?, if i could just lay my hands on a known good one it would help wouldnt it?, anyhow im going round & round in circles & im sure you are p***ed off with me going on about it so i`ll see what comes of this post :'(

The gearbox ECU stores codes describing what it thinks is wrong, and thus why its in limp mode.  No way to retrieve these without a code reader capable of doing so  :'(

There are no compatibility issues with using an AR35 on the diesel - many have do it, myself included.  The ECU doesn't know (or care) about the mechanical differences in the box, as it has all the same sensors, and is operated in exactly the same way.

If you get a replacement ECU, it must be same ident code - normally 2 letters on the ECU itself.

I suspect at this point, you need to start metering out the loom.

No engine codes stored is there, as that can knock g/b into limp (some tractors can be paperclipped)
Grumpy old man

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 August 2008, 15:56:17 »

engine codes???? what next!!!! so do i do the paperclip thing which ive seen somewhere on here? something about flashing lights i believe, i can handle that once ive found it on this site, my god its complicated int it :o

rickyboy

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 August 2008, 16:01:14 »

engine codes???? what next!!!! so do i do the paperclip thing which ive seen somewhere on here? something about flashing lights i believe, i can handle that once ive found it on this site, my god its complicated int it :o

No guarantee it will work on your car but here's the guide...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1189022687

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 August 2008, 16:01:25 »

Paperclip test is described in Maintenence Guides section.  Only about a third of tractors can be paperclipped though...
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #26 on: 04 August 2008, 16:37:38 »

Your not pissing us off, no such thing as silly
questions or silly answers, i have posted many a
question i thought a bit dim and somebody will pick
Up on something a debate will follow and usually it
Gets sorted. Tbh it was more of a disguised bump.

Er...BUMP!

Ps paper clip test only reads engine ecu iirc. But got to
Be worth a go!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 August 2008, 16:45:03 »

Get the wiring diagram out.

Continuity test the wires from the middle round plug  (blue one) at the battery tray to the various gearbox components such as soleniods, selector, etc.

I suspect a wiring fault and you need to eliminate this before changing components such as ECU's in hope.

I had a simelar problem on my car, and Mark DTM did a lot of the diagnosis with me - I learnt a lot about fault finding  that day :y

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 August 2008, 17:04:12 »

thanks james!, i`ll get on it ASAP as soon as ive repaired the teeth marks in my keyboard ;D, if i find something i owe you one,,,,,oh by the way ive done the paperclip test it gave me 16,17&92. the first 2 numbers contradict each other & the last one is cruise control which i aint got [well i dont think ive got],,hmmmmmmm ::)

philhoward

• Staffs
  • Love the engines, so put one in something else..
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 August 2008, 21:11:50 »

Get the wiring diagram out.
Ironically, whilst the Haynes Omega manual says it doesn't cover diesels, the wiring diagram shows the Diesel bits (or at least mine does!)..

See if you can pick one up from either ebay or a charity shop (cheaper than ebay at times...)

The 16/17 codes are most interesting, Tim..low voltage normally means a duff sensor and high voltage means wiring fault..unless its a really dodgy bit of cable with a break and an intermittant short to earth!
Running an X30XE in a Reliant Scimitar GTE as I can't have an Omega as a company car...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 17 queries.