Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5 V6 Head Gasket Going  (Read 3041 times)

NaughtyNigel

• Sedgefield, Co Durham
  • Naughty Nigel
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 V6 Head Gasket Going
« Reply #15 on: 18 March 2009, 09:30:18 »

Who was your independant mechanic, can I suggest keith in Fishburn :y

Do you mean Ken from Fishburn? Yes it was. Really nice guy who seems to know what he is doing.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2009, 11:39:07 by Nigel_Clegg »
Why drive fast when you can drive fast in style? :)

feeutfo

« Reply #16 on: 18 March 2009, 10:06:48 »

no water in oil, not HG... Simple.

Possible oil cooler failed or has in the past hence exhaust gas detected in bottle? Missfire, possible oil in plug wells? Coolent leak common.

NaughtyNigel

• Sedgefield, Co Durham
  • Naughty Nigel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 March 2009, 11:38:11 »

A number of miss informed bits here.

1) You wont find a 'real' engineer in a garage, he might be able to test adn change parts but hes not upto the level of being able to design the lumps!!

2) The water pumpmgping will not cause a major fault on these units unless it totaly falls apart and stops water circulation .....but you would notice the alternator chargng light come on first as its aux belt driven and not cambelt driven.

3) The coolant system should be pressurised although not excessively!

4) Loss of coolant through the header tank cap could be a faulty header tank cap so aheva  good look at it and its rubber seal!

Right, so we hae some coolant loos and some miss fire.

I assume there is no oil in the plug wells?

Any sign of coolant under the car after its been stood?

Has it been properly serviced with coolant changes every 2 years?

When you top the water up are you just chucking water in or doing the proper thing and adding a 50:50 water anti freeze mix?

A coolant setup wtih old or no antifreeze will cause a LOT of damage on ANY engine from ANY manufacturer. The anti freeze contains corrosion inhibitors which protects the alloy sections and gaskets etc

Thanks for your thoughts.

1) I take you point about so called 'Engineers', but this is someone who knows how to 'breathe' on engines, shall we say, and knows how and why they work. I know this is not the same as being an engine designer, but this man is certainly not a part swapper, and always seems very objective to me.

2) I don't entirely agree regarding the water pump. If the outer bearing goes then the cam belt goes with it, which can be terminal. I am told that often the only sign of such problems is a slight coolant leak. I know of two Vauxhall's, (Cavaliers with 2.5 V6 and 2.0 16 V engines) that have met their maker that way.

3) I know the cooling system should be pressurised, but this one is venting off when hot, especially after the engine has been worked. I can smell it every time I get out of the car after a journey, even as short as five miles.

There is no obvious leakage of coolant anywhere; only a gradual drop in level. I top up with water and antifreeze mix whenever I can, but if I have to top up away from home I sometimes have to use water and then add antifreeze later.

I haven't checked the plug wells for oil, but the engine is very clean, and does not use any oil. I will check the plug wells as soon as I can.  

As far as I know, the coolant hasn't been changed routinely every two years, but it has been changed thereabouts when other work has been done - most recently a new AC condenser.

Does that help at all?

NN

NaughtyNigel

• Sedgefield, Co Durham
  • Naughty Nigel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 March 2009, 11:43:29 »

Does the car fail MOT if you have a HG problem? What are the usual symptoms of a HG failure? Mine is leaking coolant but I can see the water coming for the Radiator. Should I be worried about a HG failure in the near future as I can also smell the sweet taste of coolant after long journeys

I don't think that would fail an MOT unless it made the car unroadworthy, or caused a hazard. It sounds as if you need a new radiator rather than a new head gasket.  

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 March 2009, 11:46:06 »

Who was your independant mechanic, can I suggest keith in Fishburn :y

Do you mean Ken from Fishburn? Yes it was. Really nice guy who seems to know what he is doing.

No, Keith, up the road and round the corner from Ken, known them both for what seems like 'forever' :y  Ken does our MOT's

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 March 2009, 12:11:39 »

2) I don't entirely agree regarding the water pump. If the outer bearing goes then the cam belt goes with it, which can be terminal. I am told that often the only sign of such problems is a slight coolant leak. I know of two Vauxhall's, (Cavaliers with 2.5 V6 and 2.0 16 V engines) that have met their maker that way.

sorry, you are both right and wrong.  the 2.5 V6 fitted to the omega has an aux belt driven water pump.  Failure of the water pump will NOT damage the cambelt.  4 pot VX power units do have a cambelt driven water pump so water pump failure may damage the cambelt.  Mr DTM's advice to you is therefore correct in this case
« Last Edit: 18 March 2009, 12:12:14 by jonathanh »
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

NaughtyNigel

• Sedgefield, Co Durham
  • Naughty Nigel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 March 2009, 12:30:36 »

sorry, you are both right and wrong.  the 2.5 V6 fitted to the omega has an aux belt driven water pump.  Failure of the water pump will NOT damage the cambelt.  4 pot VX power units do have a cambelt driven water pump so water pump failure may damage the cambelt.  Mr DTM's advice to you is therefore correct in this case

Ah, thank you for clearing that one up. So the engine in the Cavalier/Vectra has a different water pump drive arrangement then?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 March 2009, 12:33:29 »

And as for point 1), just because hes a 'better' mechanic does not make him an engineer!

You dont call a better nurse a doctor do you!

Do you have any knowledge of the cars history before you owned it?

V6 head gasket failure is very rare, its certianly not in the realsm of 4 pots and K series engines!  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 March 2009, 12:34:19 »

Ah, thank you for clearing that one up. So the engine in the Cavalier/Vectra has a different water pump drive arrangement then?

No, the Cavalier had a C25XE, the Vectra had an X25Xe, all of which have an aux belt driven water pump

NaughtyNigel

• Sedgefield, Co Durham
  • Naughty Nigel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 March 2009, 12:53:33 »

And as for point 1), just because hes a 'better' mechanic does not make him an engineer!

V6 head gasket failure is very rare, its certianly not in the realsm of 4 pots and K series engines!  ;D

OK, fair enough. Common misuse of the word 'engineer' I guess. I should know better :)

Anyhow, I have owned the car almost from new (it was a main agent 'demonstrator' for a few weeks until the summer came and the boss wanted a VX 220). It came with Irmisher kit, presumably fitted at the factory or the dealers, and has been a real gem.

I don't do a huge mileage (98,000 miles now), so it has always had a roughly annual service at 10,000 miles or a bit less, and has had Mobil 1 oil from its first service.  

The only problems in this time have been an oil seal on the diff, and the aircon condenser. Oh, and I got a rear door replaced under warranty (after eight years) because of corrosion! Other than that it has all been fairly routine stuff.

NN

NaughtyNigel

• Sedgefield, Co Durham
  • Naughty Nigel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 March 2009, 12:55:03 »

No, the Cavalier had a C25XE, the Vectra had an X25Xe, all of which have an aux belt driven water pump

I was probably thinking about the 2.0 litre engines, which I am sure have a cam belt driven water pump.  :-[

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 March 2009, 13:32:42 »

I was probably thinking about the 2.0 litre engines, which I am sure have a cam belt driven water pump.  :-[

Correct  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 March 2009, 13:33:12 »

OK, fair enough. Common misuse of the word 'engineer' I guess. I should know better :)

Anyhow, I have owned the car almost from new (it was a main agent 'demonstrator' for a few weeks until the summer came and the boss wanted a VX 220). It came with Irmisher kit, presumably fitted at the factory or the dealers, and has been a real gem.

I don't do a huge mileage (98,000 miles now), so it has always had a roughly annual service at 10,000 miles or a bit less, and has had Mobil 1 oil from its first service.  

The only problems in this time have been an oil seal on the diff, and the aircon condenser. Oh, and I got a rear door replaced under warranty (after eight years) because of corrosion! Other than that it has all been fairly routine stuff.

NN

So the chances are that its never had a coolant change ?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 March 2009, 13:40:54 »

Hmmm, that doesn't sound too great to be honest.  Did this 'servicing' include bi-annual coolant flushes (and not just drop what was in rad and top up)?

Poor coolant servicing is a killer to HGs.
Grumpy old man

NaughtyNigel

• Sedgefield, Co Durham
  • Naughty Nigel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 March 2009, 14:03:08 »

Hmmm, that doesn't sound too great to be honest.  Did this 'servicing' include bi-annual coolant flushes (and not just drop what was in rad and top up)?

Poor coolant servicing is a killer to HGs.

Oh dear. Wish I could turn the clock back. Too late now I guess :)

As far as I know, the coolant should have been changed in accordance with the manufacturers service schedule. I know the coolant is not orignal as it is now green, but was pink when the car was new. (I thought the pink stuff was supposed to last forever?)

It would have had to be drained when the aircon condenser was changed two or three years ago, but it was green before then so it had obviously been changed at some time.

How do you fluch these systems anyway? Is there a chemical treatement (like a central heating system) or does it have to be done with a special machine?

I guess that apart for the cost of replacing coolant, and the time taken to do it, garages probably have to pay to dispose of old antifreeze nowadays so they only do it when they have to. :(

NN
« Last Edit: 18 March 2009, 14:06:02 by Nigel_Clegg »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 17 queries.