Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad brakes  (Read 1938 times)

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
Bad brakes
« on: 27 December 2009, 12:27:13 »

Hello

I drive 2001 sedan with Y26SE. Brakes are really bad. All pads are new and all pistons and other moving parts move well. I once read in this forum that Omeaga brakes should work so that when you "Jump on Pedal the whole world stops". Mine does not work like that. In normal driving/braking all is OK but when brakes are really needed they are uneffective. To be honest have to admit that I never changed the brake fluid but I do not believe that it is the reason - the pedal "touch" is good - I mean it is not soft. Does anyone of you have same kind of problems ?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Bad brakes
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2009, 12:30:12 »

Hello

I drive 2001 sedan with Y26SE. Brakes are really bad. All pads are new and all pistons and other moving parts move well. I once read in this forum that Omeaga brakes should work so that when you "Jump on Pedal the whole world stops". Mine does not work like that. In normal driving/braking all is OK but when brakes are really needed they are uneffective. To be honest have to admit that I never changed the brake fluid but I do not believe that it is the reason - the pedal "touch" is good - I mean it is not soft. Does anyone of you have same kind of problems ?

Brake Fluid lasts 2 years, once its been used in anger it can boil, and then its had it really....

I flushed my brake fluid 2 years ago, past few weeks i have really noticed a drop off in performance.

I'll be changing it shortly, also do a propper flush and not just top up the tank. If its old i also pinch the last stuff out of the caliper as thats what causes the problems. Put some mole grips on the feed pipe, then push the caliper in, and that should really squeeze the last of the bad fluid out.

Make sure you close the bleed nipple in time, to stop it sucking in air
« Last Edit: 27 December 2009, 12:31:36 by tunnie »

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2009, 12:54:00 »

Hello tunnie

Thanks for comments. I'll change the fluid tomorrow and try to flush also the calipers as you advised. Come back then with news.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2009, 12:55:52 »

Handy guide here:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1156881883

Only attempt it if your confident with car DIY  :y

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2009, 13:14:29 »

Brake fluid, as tunnie says... Omega brakes are generally very good.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2009, 13:14:54 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2009, 14:01:25 »

I never managed to get good 'bite' from pattern parts, so went back to genuine pads and discs
Grumpy old man

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 December 2009, 16:17:31 »

I've always found the Omega brakes adequate (that's with genuine pads and disks and fresh fluid). They stop a fully loaded Omega estate and caravan just fine. Having said that other make cars (Honda, BMW) I have driven had had "sharper" brakes with more assistance.

sexydaz

« Reply #7 on: 27 December 2009, 17:04:46 »

I've always found the Omega brakes adequate (that's with genuine pads and disks and fresh fluid). They stop a fully loaded Omega estate and caravan just fine. Having said that other make cars (Honda, BMW) I have driven had had "sharper" brakes with more assistance.
ive always found if the brakes on yer van are set and working correctly you stop better,ive had cars that felt better while towing

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 December 2009, 19:42:55 »

Obviously the fluid could do with a change. If the brake pedal feels springy this will probably down to the new pads you have fitted have not bedded in yet, this will also have a negative effect on braking performance
« Last Edit: 27 December 2009, 19:44:59 by Tony_H »
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 December 2009, 20:49:42 »

Check the brake servo pipe for damage and air leaks

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2009, 09:36:55 »

Thanks for all comments.

I changed the pads last spring - manufactured by Jurid. Have to buy next time genuine ones. The reason for change was uneffective brakes. At the same time I checked that all moving parts are really moving well. Nothing changed in brake efficiency and now after 5000 km drive I believe that pads found their place - pedal is really not springy. Servo pipe is checked. Vacuum remains and servo works. I once checked by switching off the engine. After a couple of brakings the brakes became really bad.

I repeat that someone in this forum once said that "when you jump on pedal the whole world stops". I supposed that there is some kind of "brain" in braking control system which recognize the panic braking and increase the assistance. Is there that kind of control unit ? If there is that could be broken. As said I'll change the fluid today and come back.

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2009, 12:40:43 »

Thanks for all comments.

I changed the pads last spring - manufactured by Jurid. Have to buy next time genuine ones. The reason for change was uneffective brakes. At the same time I checked that all moving parts are really moving well. Nothing changed in brake efficiency and now after 5000 km drive I believe that pads found their place - pedal is really not springy. Servo pipe is checked. Vacuum remains and servo works. I once checked by switching off the engine. After a couple of brakings the brakes became really bad.

I repeat that someone in this forum once said that "when you jump on pedal the whole world stops". I supposed that there is some kind of "brain" in braking control system which recognize the panic braking and increase the assistance. Is there that kind of control unit ? If there is that could be broken. As said I'll change the fluid today and come back.

Jurid pads are what the omega left the factory with IIRC :y
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 December 2009, 12:53:44 »

I supposed that there is some kind of "brain" in braking control system which recognize the panic braking and increase the assistance. Is there that kind of control unit ? If there is that could be broken. .....

No variation of Emergency Brake Asssit on an Omega.  ;)

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 December 2009, 20:09:50 »

Finally got the fluid changed, also calipers flushed. That match snow in Finland that even my brakes activated the ABS. Can test them better later. However, I believe that nothing really changed.

What I realized is that when the car was parked and I was pressing the pedal strongly (engine running) the pedal was slowly going to the floor. So I suppose I have a problem in my main cylinder or main caliper - I do not know the English word. That could explain that when I really jump on pedal I never get good 'bite'. As I never loosed brake fluid during last years I think that I need a repair kit for the main brake cylinder.

Is that available ?

Another question: Can anyone of you block your brakes or activate your ABS when driving in summer in dry asphalt road ? I never succeeded even though when using two feet. Perhaps I am too weak ??

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 December 2009, 22:08:38 »

Finally got the fluid changed, also calipers flushed. That match snow in Finland that even my brakes activated the ABS. Can test them better later. However, I believe that nothing really changed.

What I realized is that when the car was parked and I was pressing the pedal strongly (engine running) the pedal was slowly going to the floor. So I suppose I have a problem in my main cylinder or main caliper - I do not know the English word. That could explain that when I really jump on pedal I never get good 'bite'. As I never loosed brake fluid during last years I think that I need a repair kit for the main brake cylinder.

Is that available ?

Another question: Can anyone of you block your brakes or activate your ABS when driving in summer in dry asphalt road ? I never succeeded even though when using two feet. Perhaps I am too weak ??
I take it you mean lock the brakes? you should be able to if you are travelling fast enough, but take care.
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 December 2009, 23:05:53 »

So I suppose I have a problem in my main cylinder or main caliper - I do not know the English word.  ....

Master cylinder, and the cylinders in a drum brake are refered to as slave cylinders.  :y

A quick look on eBay shows various kits, don't know if they're any good or not though. They say it's easy to turn seals back to front in a master cylinder by forcing the fluid back too quickly when pushing pads back in their calipers. MarksDTM suggests ...... getting an assistant to press hard on the brake pedal and as they quickly release the peadl, you hit the mastercylinder hard with a soft faced mallet (hammer). This can revert the seals again ........  :-/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 December 2009, 23:08:11 »

If your tyres are any good it should be very difficult to lock your wheels/activate the ABS at urban speeds.  :y

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 December 2009, 07:34:27 »

OK, thanks for comments - I learn English at the same time. Actually I believe ABS is Anti-Block Brake System, of cource I meant "lock the brakes".

I quess it is best to open the master cylinder and check its condition. I bought this car in 2003 and as told never changed the fluid. Perhaps the master cylinder is corroded and requires some honing.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 December 2009, 11:25:01 »

OK, thanks for comments - I learn English at the same time. Actually I believe ABS is Anti-Block Brake System, of cource I meant "lock the brakes".

I quess it is best to open the master cylinder and check its condition. I bought this car in 2003 and as told never changed the fluid. Perhaps the master cylinder is corroded and requires some honing.

Pedal creeping to the floor is probably a leak past the seals in either the master or one of the slave cylinders. If a slave, it will be obvious as the fluid can only leak into the outside world. Take a peek under the dust cover on each caliper piston and see if there is evidence of leakage.

If no leaks evident, suspect the master cylinder, as a faulty seal here won't result in a leak.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.