Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: xeon headlights  (Read 1096 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: xeon headlights
« Reply #15 on: 09 January 2010, 18:43:58 »

That's the problem I find, where confusion arises.
I call them Xenon's not HID's. All manufacturers I deal with normally, VX, Land Rover, Merc, Daimler/Jaguar all refer to vehicles having Xenon headlights.
I wouls say HID's are only aftermarket, I've yet to see a manufacturer call lights HID's. There may be some, but all I know call them Xenon's.
Then you get the xenon halogen bulbs you mentioned. Which aren't xenon really at all. They're just playing to the stupid side of people, they think oooh I can have xenon headlights for a fraction of the cost of an oe system, when they're nothing alike.

Quartz-halogen lamps use a halogen gas inside a quartz glass tube. The quartz glass gets hot enough that atoms of metal that have burnt off the filiament evaporate and are carried back to the filiament by the halogen gas. The earliest ones used iodine gas (in the 1960's). Xenon is a halogen gas. Recently manufacturers have had success getting Quartz-halogen lamps to work better by using xenon.

Discharge lamps have been used for years for street lighting. Very efficient but they needed great big transformers and ballasts to generate the voltage and control the current. Also the light wasn't very easy to focus (it wasn't an intense point source) and the element used to generate the visible light (sodium) gave of a flat orange light.

Recent developments in electronics have allowed the control gear to fit in a box the size of a packet of cigarettes. This is the really clever bit. Xenon gas has been used for the High Intensity Disharge tube because it gives off light which approximates to daylight.

I blame the marketing departments. Xenon sounds clean and modern. HID more accurately describes the process though.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2010, 20:58:14 by andyh »
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

j4mou

• Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: xeon headlights
« Reply #16 on: 09 January 2010, 22:13:53 »

its worth mentioning if you buy a set from most places in the uk they will not be legal to use on uk roads! "off road use only" most will pass an mot but if you were to be involved in an accident and your insurance company were to see that these were fitted they may deem your insurance void. harsh but true!

HTH

James :)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.