Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fatal Road Traffic Accident  (Read 4769 times)

miggy

Re: Fatal Road Traffic Accident
« Reply #15 on: 28 December 2007, 17:31:42 »

I've been in a few crap situations in the 7 years I've been driving, but I've never, ever come across anything like this in my life.

I wasn't involved in any way, but tonight I witnessed first hand an extremely serious RTA involving two cars. I believe it was between a Pug 307 and a Citroen Saxo, but the cars were literally unrecognisable.

The accident happened between Caldicot and Newport. The Pug was the culprit, it contained three lads, coming from the opposite direction, at breakneck speed. Just lost control on the bend, and literally wiped out the Saxo (And it's teenage law abiding female driver)

A group of us ran out to both of the wreckages to try and help, and call the services. Unfortunately I doubt the lads in the Pug in the have a chance, I have never seen such a mess of a car and when the fire service arrived they were cutting it open. One man was spraying that car with a fire extinguisher before they arrived, lots of smoke.

While they were helping the pug, I focused my attention on the other car. The Saxo, whilst in a severe mess, was not quite as bad, and we were able to get the girl (who was driving alone) free of the car. She was in an extremely bad way too, definately had a broken leg, and difficulty breathing and keeping concious.  Thankfully I am first aid trained, and I was able to use my first aid skills as best as I could  until the rapid response paramedic arrived. They told me I did right, which is a reassurance. She is in a critical condition with suspected internal injuries, I will be praying for her.

I'm really shaken up, thought it might help to note it down. Also good to note down asap at the time, because it's fresh in mind, and I'm likely to want to refer to it when talking to police.

It's changed my mind about joining the Force too. Whilst I think I acted really well at the scene, it's really eating into me now and it's not something I will ever forget. It's not something I think I could do regularly. Trafpol is clearly not about driving fast cars, there are some extremely grim aspects.

I have passed on my details to one of the attending officer that requested them. He took notes from me at the time, but he said I may need to be contacted again.

Please think about killing your speed - it only takes something like this and it can all be over. Also, please pray for the victims, especially the innocent young lady.

Just read it in our local rag as i live 3 mins from where it happened, astra and a corsa, all parties are fine thank god.

STMO123

« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2007, 18:08:57 »

I've been in a few crap situations in the 7 years I've been driving, but I've never, ever come across anything like this in my life.

I wasn't involved in any way, but tonight I witnessed first hand an extremely serious RTA involving two cars. I believe it was between a Pug 307 and a Citroen Saxo, but the cars were literally unrecognisable.

The accident happened between Caldicot and Newport. The Pug was the culprit, it contained three lads, coming from the opposite direction, at breakneck speed. Just lost control on the bend, and literally wiped out the Saxo (And it's teenage law abiding female driver)

A group of us ran out to both of the wreckages to try and help, and call the services. Unfortunately I doubt the lads in the Pug in the have a chance, I have never seen such a mess of a car and when the fire service arrived they were cutting it open. One man was spraying that car with a fire extinguisher before they arrived, lots of smoke.

While they were helping the pug, I focused my attention on the other car. The Saxo, whilst in a severe mess, was not quite as bad, and we were able to get the girl (who was driving alone) free of the car. She was in an extremely bad way too, definately had a broken leg, and difficulty breathing and keeping concious.  Thankfully I am first aid trained, and I was able to use my first aid skills as best as I could  until the rapid response paramedic arrived. They told me I did right, which is a reassurance. She is in a critical condition with suspected internal injuries, I will be praying for her.

I'm really shaken up, thought it might help to note it down. Also good to note down asap at the time, because it's fresh in mind, and I'm likely to want to refer to it when talking to police.

It's changed my mind about joining the Force too. Whilst I think I acted really well at the scene, it's really eating into me now and it's not something I will ever forget. It's not something I think I could do regularly. Trafpol is clearly not about driving fast cars, there are some extremely grim aspects.

I have passed on my details to one of the attending officer that requested them. He took notes from me at the time, but he said I may need to be contacted again.

Please think about killing your speed - it only takes something like this and it can all be over. Also, please pray for the victims, especially the innocent young lady.

Just read it in our local rag as i live 3 mins from where it happened, astra and a corsa, all parties are fine thank god.

What ?????

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2007, 18:47:15 »

Been driving this morning in Bayswater just outside Hyde Park, there’s a 4-lane very wide one-way system, as the road is very wide with good visibility and there as no traffic I stepped on it a bit when going into the bend, just to be confronted with a 14-15 years old boy on bicycles in the second lane riding the opposite direction and basically straight into me, one hand on the handle bar the other holding a mobile phone or iPod which he was trying to work...

I could have passed on his side but decided to stop (in spite of the wide road) just in case. He rode past me while I was stopped in the middle of the road, when he lift his head from the iPod I gave him the look but he just stared at me with a blank expression and went down the road... hope no one hit him behind me. Don’t know where these people are coming from...
Alas, no more Omegas....

amigov6

« Reply #18 on: 28 December 2007, 19:11:11 »

:)I've got basic 1st aid training as part of my ADR. Recovery position & CPR have changed although burns/wounds much the same. I've never had to put this into practice & do'nt know how i'd cope if i
did. You however did all the right things instinctively & the fact you felt effected afterwards shows compassion & an understanding on your part.
     Given this if you still feel a calling to the Traffic Police you should follow it. Consider this unfortunate experience a learning curve.
      Hope to meet @ a meet sometime. All the best to you & yours for 2008,  
                                                                               Guy.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 December 2007, 20:01:58 »

No, it was a 307 and a saxo....

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 December 2007, 20:04:49 »

The article you read must have related to a different accident. On the basis that the cars were different, and the location was definately a lot closer towards caldicot/chepstow, than the Coldra...

The article you refer to is a B road - this was the A48...

Minispud

• Intermediate Member
  • Banbury, Oxfordshire
  • Ride hard with Passion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 December 2007, 20:33:38 »

I work for N Power and was involved in a RTA 3 years ago.I was totally innocent this guy in a tranny van had never visited my town before and the road was poorly marked.Basically I was coming around a bend and he was coming straight forward but he should have given way and he didn't he was doing about 60mph and I was doing approx 20mph.I managed to turn slightly so avoided a head on crash but it was near enough.I just remember waiting for the impact and the loud bang of metal against metal.I suffered whiplash and the air bag went off resulting in the powder touching my hand a causing quite a large burn :( I was off work for a couple of months and had to have my burn dressed etc.I also had to have physio because of the whiplash.

I no longer enjoy driving and I seem to find danger in any situation on the road now (Much to the annoyance of my hubby).I only drive at work because I have to do and I have not drove down the same road since.

N Power insisited that we had to watch a police video and listen to a talk given by a road traffic cop.Some of the scenes we had to view were very very hard to look at.And most of them were the result of drivers speeding.It just made me more nervous and cautious.But I think it should be shown to all new drivers before they are allowed on our roads it might just make them think a little.

James I think you are a fantastic person to be able to have gone over to the poor innocent victim and offer her support.I do hope she makes a full recovery.
Angie xx

You can make all new drivers watch police videos of accident after accident for hours on end, but most people will switch off to what they are watching after a few minutes, once they have pass their test. Ask any body who drives if they think are a good or a bad driver and I bet that 99% of them will say GOOD if not VERY GOOD and that will include the ones that have just past their test.
D.A.R.N.A Cycles.   Ride with Passion in your Heart

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 December 2007, 21:16:34 »

I work for N Power and was involved in a RTA 3 years ago.I was totally innocent this guy in a tranny van had never visited my town before and the road was poorly marked.Basically I was coming around a bend and he was coming straight forward but he should have given way and he didn't he was doing about 60mph and I was doing approx 20mph.I managed to turn slightly so avoided a head on crash but it was near enough.I just remember waiting for the impact and the loud bang of metal against metal.I suffered whiplash and the air bag went off resulting in the powder touching my hand a causing quite a large burn :( I was off work for a couple of months and had to have my burn dressed etc.I also had to have physio because of the whiplash.

I no longer enjoy driving and I seem to find danger in any situation on the road now (Much to the annoyance of my hubby).I only drive at work because I have to do and I have not drove down the same road since.

N Power insisited that we had to watch a police video and listen to a talk given by a road traffic cop.Some of the scenes we had to view were very very hard to look at.And most of them were the result of drivers speeding.It just made me more nervous and cautious.But I think it should be shown to all new drivers before they are allowed on our roads it might just make them think a little.

James I think you are a fantastic person to be able to have gone over to the poor innocent victim and offer her support.I do hope she makes a full recovery.
Angie xx

You can make all new drivers watch police videos of accident after accident for hours on end, but most people will switch off to what they are watching after a few minutes, once they have pass their test. Ask any body who drives if they think are a good or a bad driver and I bet that 99% of them will say GOOD if not VERY GOOD and that will include the ones that have just past their test.

Agreed -

I only have 7 yrs experience on the road, which makes me a newbie really. I consider myself confident and safe - but I do make a point of recognising mistakes, and learning from them.

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 December 2007, 22:40:46 »

Only 1 car passed me on an empty section of M6 in wet weather J40 to J36 yesterday, and my cruise was set at 75mph  - it was a black Porshe Boxter - the only car with no headlights on too - it bullied me out of the way and 15 miles later I caught it up - it had been smashed front and back and was being attended to by the Highways Agency.

I doubt he was going too fast - but a small black car, no lights and poor visability was always going to end in disaster. :-[

Unlike your case James, he was ok.

Time will help you to move past this trauma and always remember you did a good thing.  If not for your actions she may not be here now.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2007, 22:41:10 by Chopsdad »
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Minispud

• Intermediate Member
  • Banbury, Oxfordshire
  • Ride hard with Passion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 December 2007, 23:16:56 »

Only 1 car passed me on an empty section of M6 in wet weather J40 to J36 yesterday, and my cruise was set at 75mph  - it was a black Porshe Boxter - the only car with no headlights on too - it bullied me out of the way and 15 miles later I caught it up - it had been smashed front and back and was being attended to by the Highways Agency.

I doubt he was going too fast - but a small black car, no lights and poor visability was always going to end in disaster. :-[

Unlike your case James, he was ok.

Time will help you to move past this trauma and always remember you did a good thing.  If not for your actions she may not be here now.

I would have to agree with Chopsdad statement, "If not for your actions she may not be here now."
  Anyway Chopsdad did you not get the email from Porsche, "Stating that all porky drivers must only use the outside lane with not lights on in bad weather" Volvo, BMW and Merc's are nearly the same.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

D.A.R.N.A Cycles.   Ride with Passion in your Heart

miggy

« Reply #25 on: 29 December 2007, 01:49:32 »

The article you read must have related to a different accident. On the basis that the cars were different, and the location was definately a lot closer towards caldicot/chepstow, than the Coldra...

Strange
Article in local rag:- Three people were taken to hospital after a head on collision involving two cars near Rogiet (Caldicot) last night.
Fire officers used cutting equipment to free the male driver of a vx astra following the incident at 8.15pm.
The woman driver of the other car a vx corsa and a female passenger suffered minor injuries.
All three were taken by ambulance to the royal gwent hospital in newport, police said none of the injuries were belived to be life threatening.

I will see my buddy next door to me, he is a traffic cop and would have been on duty that night, i will see if he can find out any info for you on how the injured parties are.

:y :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 December 2007, 10:05:00 »

Strange
Article in local rag:- Three people were taken to hospital after a head on collision involving two cars near Rogiet (Caldicot) last night.
Fire officers used cutting equipment to free the male driver of a vx astra following the incident at 8.15pm.
The woman driver of the other car a vx corsa and a female passenger suffered minor injuries.
All three were taken by ambulance to the royal gwent hospital in newport, police said none of the injuries were belived to be life threatening.

I will see my buddy next door to me, he is a traffic cop and would have been on duty that night, i will see if he can find out any info for you on how the injured parties are.

:y :y

Hmmm

I am sure this was the A48 - however I had taken a detour into strange territory due to issues already further up the M4. Whilst the cars were completely mangled, I'm sure I wouldn't have mistaken an Astra/Corsa for a Pug and a Citroen.

The young girl I was assiting had a lot more than minor injuries - the consensus at the scene was that fatalities were imminent.

Are you aware if the Gwent trafpol cover Chepstow too?

ghondie

• sheerness,kent,uk
  • Looking for work, any offers?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 December 2007, 10:07:08 »

been to a few nasty rtc's and each one is sitting there stored away, however i dont let it get to me, you will often find that ambulance,police,fire bods will have a laugh over it, this realy is the only way to stop it from affecting you to badly, im first aid trained and carry oxygen, entonox and all the other gubbins that im trained to use, for such a bad event, however i hate to have to use it as each time i get it out again it always brings back those bad thoughts,

you done good and thats all that is asked of you, at least you stopped, i have seen people stop take a picture on there phone and then drive off again,
in my eyes thats just not right.

dont let it get to you, if you feel its eating away then talk to somebody about it, it does no end of good to get it off your chest.

regards
nathan
Man with a mission. not sure what it is but i've got one
Sheerness Lifeboat Crew and ILB Mechanic

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 December 2007, 10:13:54 »

To be honest, I've discussed it to death, which I guess has helped.

I have since heard that the girl I helped is in a stable condition which has really pleased me - no news on the lads, though.

It was as my girlfriend said - a few seconds later, and it would have been me in the Meega they hit. Food for thought!

I think it's important to do your best for others in these situations, because I would want help if it happened to me.

Driving to work this morning, along the M4, I couldn't bring myself to go over 65mph (I usually cane it at about 90..) .. I kept having horrible twitches and flashbacks, especially when anyone got close to me. And I started sweating when I was near the A48 junction with the bridge, which is near where it happened.

Me thinks I need to put the car to bed for a while and get the train to work....

ghondie

• sheerness,kent,uk
  • Looking for work, any offers?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 December 2007, 10:36:14 »

To be honest, I've discussed it to death, which I guess has helped.

I have since heard that the girl I helped is in a stable condition which has really pleased me - no news on the lads, though.

It was as my girlfriend said - a few seconds later, and it would have been me in the Meega they hit. Food for thought!

I think it's important to do your best for others in these situations, because I would want help if it happened to me.

Driving to work this morning, along the M4, I couldn't bring myself to go over 65mph (I usually cane it at about 90..) .. I kept having horrible twitches and flashbacks, especially when anyone got close to me. And I started sweating when I was near the A48 junction with the bridge, which is near where it happened.

Me thinks I need to put the car to bed for a while and get the train to work....

no this is not a good idea, this is just giving in to it, obviously if your such a nervous wreck that you cant drive safely then that may be the option, your best bet might be to go back to the accident spot and pull up if you can, try to make sense of it all,
there is no shame in being like that its just human nature, thats why there are people that deal out therapy,
as for the comment about it could have been you, thats not realy the way to look at it, it was not you and you should be thankful for that, you did the best that you possibly could and done more than anybody ever asked of you.

if your seriously worried about things and you just fancy a chat about stress and anything else i will pm you my phone number. it always helps to speak to somebody that you dont know about it.

Nathan's surgery is now closed  ;D

regards
nathan
Man with a mission. not sure what it is but i've got one
Sheerness Lifeboat Crew and ILB Mechanic
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.