Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A very poorly Elite.  (Read 13396 times)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: A very poorly Elite.
« Reply #105 on: 20 May 2010, 07:50:13 »

mystery solved.... :y

hole caused by heat, caused by misfire?

Probably, with the unburnt fuel... I reckon it's been going for a while, and just finally let go on the trip home...

I don't suppose there was supposed to be a heat shield between the exhaust and tank? I'm struggling to imagine how hot the exhaust must have got. :-/

Kevin

There was a heat shield. It was around one of the heatshield bolt areas on the tank that the hold is ;D

I agree Kev, seems unlikely - but what else! It's visibly melted, rather than split...  :-/
HAV E seen this twice before!! on one it was a split along the sea,m of the rear box the other was a rust hole, hot gases from the split/hole had very gently over time melted the fuel tank!!!

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 20 May 2010, 08:48:33 »

I managed to melt the outside of a hi-viz jacket in the boot of the jag with the same issue - exhaust from a holed back-box directly heating the floor.

have killed a few cats in my time, mainly on prototype and test vehicles. I distinctly remember causing a huge tailback on the M25 after melting four cats in a Lamborghini. Got billed for re-surfacing, too.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 20 May 2010, 09:41:09 »

mystery solved.... :y

hole caused by heat, caused by misfire?

Probably, with the unburnt fuel... I reckon it's been going for a while, and just finally let go on the trip home...

I don't suppose there was supposed to be a heat shield between the exhaust and tank? I'm struggling to imagine how hot the exhaust must have got. :-/

Kevin

There was a heat shield. It was around one of the heatshield bolt areas on the tank that the hold is ;D

I agree Kev, seems unlikely - but what else! It's visibly melted, rather than split...  :-/
HAV E seen this twice before!! on one it was a split along the sea,m of the rear box the other was a rust hole, hot gases from the split/hole had very gently over time melted the fuel tank!!!

Bingo!!! There IS a split in the backbox, directly facing the fuel tank!!!  :y

New exhaust on order...  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 20 May 2010, 09:50:50 »

Hi James, congratulations not only on solving your problem(s), but for escaping what surely could have been a fiery disaster! It would probably be difficult to claim much against the seller, as the tank hole may have only occurred on your drive South.

Best of luck with the reconstruction, and full marks to all the expert advice on here.

Chris :y :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 20 May 2010, 10:10:50 »

Hi James, congratulations not only on solving your problem(s), but for escaping what surely could have been a fiery disaster! It would probably be difficult to claim much against the seller, as the tank hole may have only occurred on your drive South.

Best of luck with the reconstruction, and full marks to all the expert advice on here.

Amen to that. That explains where all that fuel vapour came from when you filled up. Boiling petrol. :o One spark away from something rather nasty.

Anyway,  given that the fuel tank is now U/S this makes this estate the ideal test bed for fitting a reduced size petrol tank, chopping out the spare wheel well and fitting a huge underslung LPG tank.  ;)

At least with 8 BAR of pressure in the fuel tank it's less easy to drive around oblivious to a hole in the tank. ;)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 20 May 2010, 10:18:42 »

I was looking at this last night... and I was thinking the LPG tank would be too close to the exhaust for comfort, if it was slung under the boot floor.....  :-/

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 20 May 2010, 10:22:20 »

Amen to that. That explains where all that fuel vapour came from when you filled up. Boiling petrol. :o One spark away from something rather nasty.

Anyway,  given that the fuel tank is now U/S this makes this estate the ideal test bed for fitting a reduced size petrol tank, chopping out the spare wheel well and fitting a huge underslung LPG tank.  ;)

At least with 8 BAR of pressure in the fuel tank it's less easy to drive around oblivious to a hole in the tank. ;)

Kevin

I liked my old Jag and Daimler, they had a 10 gallon tank on each side of the car, also would be ideal for trying 2 types of petrol at the same time and same road/weather conditions if they were fitted to a miggy.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 20 May 2010, 10:24:22 »

I was looking at this last night... and I was thinking the LPG tank would be too close to the exhaust for comfort, if it was slung under the boot floor.....  :-/

Would it fit under the boot floor, and being nearer a heat sourse with a presurised tank is that really a good idea.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 20 May 2010, 10:24:59 »

It would, no doubt need to be protected from the heat with a shield.

Another option. Cut out the wheel well and extend it deeper so tank is still enclosed in the wheel well.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 20 May 2010, 11:45:34 »

'Kin Ell James........four wheel grenade??

PO MUST have known all about this.........??
Seems I was closer to the truth than I thought.............
The P.O. must be told........surely that was just plain dangerous, selling it in that state??

maybe there is a law against selling a car that potentially could explode??

Glad you are over the worst, James.
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

Derek_in_Penzance

• Penzance, Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 20 May 2010, 11:51:11 »

I haven't read right through yet but the story reminds me of when I bought a 2.5 Elite estate off eBay, located in Staines, 320 miles away. The vendor assured me that the car would drive to Penzance. Well, when I arrived to pick the car up, it was running on 4, maybe 5 cylinders. I was furious. Had I not been so mild-mannered I could have socked the guy. I tried a mad gamble to drive back but it couldn't even stutter to the M4, never mind Penzance. I took the train back (3 changes) and arranged for a recovery guy to pick the car up. Cost me £700 overall. I suppose I should have left it there and demanded my money back. One day I might get my money back in spare parts....

How people can be such barefaced liars is beyond me. 

On the upside most of my other eBay purchases have turned out just fine, so I remain the eternal optimist and just regard it as the one of risks of the trade I'm in. ::)
Go to Facebook and become a Fan of the GM6 Spares Facebook page. Omegas dismantling, mail order parts & servicing. Tech 2 services available.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 20 May 2010, 12:38:32 »

I think alot of Ebayers rely on the fact you have travelled a long way to collect the car so your not going to walk away. I got the train to Measteg to be met at the train station the seller driving my new purchase. It was a glorious sunny day and the bloke had the heater on full blast and the window down. When I got in to drive off and turned the heater off the temp gauge started to rise so I had to drive home with the heater on >:(

Still car turned out fine once I had flushed the rad, turns out the oil cooler had let go which he'd had replaced but not flushed the cooling system well enough :)
Retired

karlus 693

• Isle of Wight & Torquay
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 20 May 2010, 12:53:37 »

Im glad it all got sorted in the end, :) BUT i am going to miss my daily episode of "a very poorly Elite"  :'(

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 20 May 2010, 12:59:19 »

Im glad it all got sorted in the end, :) BUT i am going to miss my daily episode of "a very poorly Elite"  :'(

Oh I've no doubt there is more to come!!  ;D

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 20 May 2010, 13:52:20 »

Just caught up with this thread.

I should be preparing to lay a patio not sitting here reading about problem Omegas.

Glad it's sorted though, good read and resolution :y

Mick ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.