Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Home Speakers  (Read 3107 times)

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
Re: Audio Home Speakers
« Reply #15 on: 04 January 2008, 13:23:50 »

I have a pair of speakers that I built from a Hi-Fi world kit 8 years ago. Before I veneered the cabinets (MDF) I decided to bolt the drivers on to "see how they sounded". 8 years later I still have a pair of floorstanding MDF boxes in the living room. Guess I should finish them one day.

Mrs. KW is not very happy about them, but they were there before she was ;D

Mrs. KW is not too happy about the marine ply bathroom floor complete with box of floor tiles either, but they're further down the list, having only been there for 2 years ;D

... and I have a possible kit car project potentially on its' way (injection system to install) that I haven't mentioned yet  :-X, and a LPG MV6 project on the cards... :-/

Kevin

No question about the order of priority there then..

car
hifi
bathroom
 :y ;D

Martin_1962

« Reply #16 on: 04 January 2008, 13:34:21 »

I have a few outstanding jobs

Tidying (still)

Path to shed - too wet now!

Sink - offered to buy one in the summer "buy one when you fit it"

Can't afford one now! ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 January 2008, 13:37:59 »

I have a pair of speakers that I built from a Hi-Fi world kit 8 years ago. Before I veneered the cabinets (MDF) I decided to bolt the drivers on to "see how they sounded". 8 years later I still have a pair of floorstanding MDF boxes in the living room. Guess I should finish them one day.

Mrs. KW is not too happy about the marine ply bathroom floor complete with box of floor tiles either, but they're further down the list, having only been there for 2 years ;D

... and I have a possible kit car project potentially on its' way (injection system to install) that I haven't mentioned yet  :-X, and a LPG MV6 project on the cards... :-/

Kevin

car
hifi
bathroom

... and you should see the state of my garden! (dumping ground for old car bits)

kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 January 2008, 13:40:09 »

Kevin

car
hifi
bathroom

... and you should see the state of my garden! (dumping ground for old car bits)

kevin

that's called an archive for future reference..

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 January 2008, 13:43:30 »

I have to do:

Some V6 heads to refurb (2 done, 2 to go).
Garage to tidy.
New kitchen worktops, wall tiles and floor tiles to fit.
6m x 4m extension to back of house to build (including plans etc).

Should be finished by September I think

brett1408

• leamington spa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 January 2008, 14:08:15 »

best ones i've ever had were a pair of force by wharfdales, they were'nt all that big, had em on brackets in the corners and the bass was amazing, sold em to a mate and he took the speakers out of the enclosures and fitted em in the back shelf of his xr3i where they worked just as well, right ohm's for car or house!

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 January 2008, 15:05:14 »

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 January 2008, 16:10:26 »

I have a Technics Amp which I am updating to a Good Denon Amp in time when i have some more spare cash.

They do look like nice speakers and the reviews look good Bit of a distance to pick them up but if the price is right ill drive and pick them up

Thanks For The Link

Craig
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 January 2008, 16:34:26 »

I have a Technics Amp which I am updating to a Good Denon Amp in time when i have some more spare cash.

Not great amps Denons, well talked up by some hifi mags but generaly under perform for standard stereo amps.....a better bet for low cash second hand is the Sony TA-FB940, very difficult to beat as an integrated unit.........and not tuned like Technics (Technics do not have flat response, they boost the bass to create the 'Technics sound')

To get better than this you have to get into high end units with multi supplies etc.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 January 2008, 16:39:34 »

As for speakers, the Paradigm Monitor 9's  Laidback mentioned are very good, they do need some room to get the full sound stage though. Also worth looking for are the Mission M74's, VERY good speakers but as a result, difficult to find and hold thier money well.

I dont rate the Linns as highly as the above two....you tend to be paying a bit for the name and they only seem to preform well with other Linn kit.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2008, 16:43:41 by Mark »

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 January 2008, 16:44:58 »

As for speakers, the Paradigm Monitor 9's  Laidback mentioned are very good, they do need some room to get the full sound stage though. Also worth looking for are the Mission M74's, VERY good speakers but as a result, difficult to find and hold thier money well.

I dont rate the Linns as highly as the above two....you tend to be paying a bit for the name and they only seem to preform well with other Linn kit.

What are Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers like ? there is a pair on ebay at the mo
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 January 2008, 16:46:00 »

What are Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers like ? there is a pair on ebay at the mo

Not nearly as good.....very much the poorer brother.....similarly with the likes of the Mission M73's (again easier to find)

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 January 2008, 17:20:41 »

Looks Like Ill have to be patient and wait for a pair to come up again on ebay as a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9's went for only 90 odd quid about two weeks ago, but one problem is that i dont have that much room in the studio in the basement which is a shame.

Mark Have you heard of       TDL RTL 3 Mk II these seem to go for an ok price, are they any good ? the reviews i have read seem to be very positive.

Thanks For the info on the Sony Amp there is one on ebay at the mo ill be keeping my eye, but its in Manchester Boooo but i can wait till another one comes up closer to home
Mod's

omegaman2

• Omega Knight
  • Kilsyth, Glasgow G65
  • cruise , tints, shinbuster,advanced drinking test
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 January 2008, 17:34:56 »

ive got Gale Gold MONITERnice deep sound
dieseldonicely

Martin_1962

« Reply #29 on: 04 January 2008, 19:16:11 »

My front pair are Castle Pembrokes and I use a Sony STR-DB930 amp (actually a receiver)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.