Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5 td. or 2.2 dti. ??????????  (Read 6608 times)

greenfingers 79

• View Profile
Re: 2.5 td. or 2.2 dti. ??????????
« Reply #15 on: 15 January 2011, 14:41:24 »

if the 2.5 was a great engine it wouldnt need chipping!
each to their own!
if i had a 2.5 driver closer we could coulod get our willies out and have a sword fight to see who was the winner! lol
agree to dis agree

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2011, 14:50:34 »

each to their own!
if i had a 2.5 driver closer we could coulod get our willies out and have a sword fight to see who was the winner! lol
agree to dis agree
The 2.5 was de-tuned because of a chocolate gearbox, and is far smoother and quicker than a 2.2 when chipped and gives excellent MPG. I've got 2 2.5s and a Desmond and the 2.5 with manual box is my favorite :)
Retired

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2011, 15:13:37 »

each to their own!
agree to dis agree

As others have mentioned, chipping it just brings it back to full BMW spec. It was de-tuned for the Omega

Boditza

• Craiova, Romania
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 January 2011, 15:35:55 »

i would go for the 2,2 if you are looking for economy. its the 2.0dti from opel (101hp) but with some longer thingies that connect the piston to crankshaft :P.. the only 2,5 BMW engine that was mounted on omega is the comonrail one with 150hp, and i think in uk it wasn't sold, the rest of them are just copies. on my 2,2 i change the oil at 10.000km (~6000miles), if you drive most of them on highway at legal speeds you can even change it at 10.000miles. you can also chiptune the 2,2 and reach: 2.2 DTI - Y22DTH - 155 CP and 380 Nm - 250 EUR (including PSG16) . with chip how much does it gain the 2,5??

smokingomega

• Leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 January 2011, 16:03:34 »

I`ve got the 2.5td and to be honest its the best car I`ve owned. it has done 165000 mile now and it still runs sweet as a nut. I might be tempting fate here but I have never had any problems with the engine since buying the car 6 years ago. It even tows a caravan from Leeds to St Ives a couple of times a year with no problems. So I`d say pretty good reliable work horse!!!!!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 January 2011, 16:14:53 »

i would go for the 2,2 if you are looking for economy. its the 2.0dti from opel (101hp) but with some longer thingies that connect the piston to crankshaft :P.. the only 2,5 BMW engine that was mounted on omega is the comonrail one with 150hp, and i think in uk it wasn't sold, the rest of them are just copies. on my 2,2 i change the oil at 10.000km (~6000miles), if you drive most of them on highway at legal speeds you can even change it at 10.000miles. you can also chiptune the 2,2 and reach: 2.2 DTI - Y22DTH - 155 CP and 380 Nm - 250 EUR (including PSG16) . with chip how much does it gain the 2,5??

Interesting, are you saying that BMW did NOT build the engines fitted to the UK 2.5 TDs, even though the cars were assembled by Opel in Germany? If so, who did? :-?
« Last Edit: 15 January 2011, 16:16:15 by ci643215 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 January 2011, 17:51:10 »

each to their own!
agree to dis agree
The GM detuning made it a dog.  Popping it back to BMW spec (or better ::)) makes it a different beast.

Neither are bad engines.  The 2.2 suffers with clogged boost sensors and egrs, esp with poor servicing.  The 2.5 suffers with silted rads and BMW spec waterpumps (ie, shite).  Both suffer with clogged oilways if poorly serviced.

Both work well with a manual gearbox.  No idea about how good the 2.2DTi is with an auto, as it was not an option, but the TD isn't ideal with that option.

Without doubt, though, the BMW 6cyl unit is much smoother. As previously said, little to choose in economy with 'BMW spec' chips in the TD with manual. And its quicker.

But there is certainly nothing wrong with the 2.2DTi (except poor servicing takes its toll). Very drivable, still smooth, and reasonably refined :y

Shame we didn't get the Y25DT engine in our Vauxhalls. Only Opels got that.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 January 2011, 17:56:15 »

Interesting, are you saying that BMW did NOT build the engines fitted to the UK 2.5 TDs, even though the cars were assembled by Opel in Germany? If so, who did? :-?
All Omega TDs had BMW made engines, be it the U25DT or X25DT.  Our lucky European neighbours got the BMW produced Y25DT in the 2.5DTi.

The only differences between those engines fitted in BMW 525tds and 325tds, apart from ancillaries due to car differences, are the Vauxhall ones are detuned to 120bhp.

Note that U25DT, X25DT and Y25DT are GM designations, BMW designate it M51
Grumpy old man

Boditza

• Craiova, Romania
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 January 2011, 18:13:31 »

thats what i know, and everywhere i looked confirmed my sayings.. at least official. even wikipedia mentions that the bmw engine is the y25dt wich is comonrail. and if they were made by opel germany doesn't mean anthing.. on a beemer engine there will be branding letters on most of the parts but on omegas engine there aren't any ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Omega

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 January 2011, 18:16:44 »

thats what i know, and everywhere i looked confirmed my sayings.. at least official. even wikipedia mentions that the bmw engine is the y25dt wich is comonrail. and if they were made by opel germany doesn't mean anthing.. on a beemer engine there will be branding letters on most of the parts but on omegas engine there aren't any ;)
The Opel/Vauxhall Omega-B 2.5 diesels are all BMW supplied engines.

And having been very intimate with U25DT and X25DT engines, believe me when I said they all have BMW markings on the components ;D
« Last Edit: 15 January 2011, 18:17:09 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

Boditza

• Craiova, Romania
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 January 2011, 18:25:00 »

my bad then... but from all data sheets i had from opel diesel engines only the comonrail one was said to be a bmw.. wich was givven in return of their auto 5 speed gearbox.. bastards. on opels they weren't puting it but they suplied it to bmw...

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 January 2011, 18:44:21 »

The Opel/Vauxhall Omega-B 2.5 diesels are all BMW supplied engines.

And having been very intimate with U25DT and X25DT engines, believe me when I said they all have BMW markings on the components ;D
Yip just take off the viscous fan and there it is BMW.
as for original post I'd go for the tractor :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 January 2011, 20:28:59 »

opel omega from 2001 got the common rail as an option!! rest of the poor uk had to make do with the 2.2dti,
owned my TD for god knows how many years now, bought a 2.2dti to replace it last year, was not impressed!! nice enough but absolutely gutless and i didnt find it any more economical than my TD!!, Loved the colour of it liked the way it drove but absolutely hated that unrefined 4 pot!!!
vxhl v6 on here bought it and he liked so much he bought another one(only cos his mrs stole the original one though)
drivng the TD wins hands down, economy about the same from my experience(was expecting much more from the dti) but it didnt happen in spite of driving it like miss daisy, where as the TD sits all day at 80-85 and returns the same economy i was getting from the dti, at 70
maybe i didnt give it long enough i dont know but just over 600 miles in it i did, me mate chris borrowed it and did another 500 and he named it" the hateful car" purely cos of the engine,lol
best advice is to test drive both of them in manual form and see which you prefer
should add I was very disapointed with the TD the first week i owned it, however as soon as i chipped it, it was a different animal and i was happy!
« Last Edit: 15 January 2011, 20:30:47 by Omegatoy »

Boditza

• Craiova, Romania
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 January 2011, 21:24:49 »

hmmm... i really think that economy sits on 2,2 side.. i get almost 57mpg when i drive alone on side roads and on highway at legal speed i get 44mpg... these figures are made with cruise control. i doubt that the 2,5 gets better than this, but w8ing for some data from 2,5 owners :p

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 January 2011, 21:28:45 »

hmmm... i really think that economy sits on 2,2 side.. i get almost 57mpg when i drive alone on side roads and on highway at legal speed i get 44mpg... these figures are made with cruise control. i doubt that the 2,5 gets better than this, but w8ing for some data from 2,5 owners :p
This is what my tractor gets cruising at around 70
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.