Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Text driver faces jail over death'  (Read 6433 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: 'Text driver faces jail over death'
« Reply #75 on: 04 February 2008, 20:07:06 »

Adding another personal similar incident.

My little brother used to cycle to work.

One day, several years ago, he (for still unknown reason) did not stop at T junction.  The inevitable accident actually wrote off the car, and nearly killed my brother - even now, some 30+ yrs later, he still carries the scars.  It really was touch and go for days.

The driver wasn't in the wrong, was he (though he may have been speeding possibly, but that was not the cause of the accident according to the police)?  And his car was written off.  His insurance company chased my brother for the money (and strangely, this was covered by our house insurance somehow  :-/).

Had the driver killed my brother, and as I said, it really was touch and go for days, would we have blamed the driver?
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 04 February 2008, 20:12:24 »

Another thought ....

Lets take the emotive issue of texting out of it ...

She was doing 45 in a 30 limit... ok the cyclist was in the wrong .. but if she had been doing 30 would the collision have occured ?? Did the cyclist make his fatal decision expecting her to be doing 30 ?? Would she have been able to stop at 30 if she had seen him ??

She could be done just as well for "death by dangerous" even if not texting, that just compounds the error, but says an awful lot about her attitude IMHO
I have never she was not in the wrong.  I was making the point that he is also wrong for jumping the red light, a fact that the trash BBC are skirting over.

Lets reverse the situation, supposing the cyclist was riding along, head down, pressing on through green lights, and the (no phone) driver jumped the red light. Whos fault would that have been?  The cyclist for having his head down, or the driver for jumping the light?
« Last Edit: 04 February 2008, 20:12:49 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 04 February 2008, 20:12:58 »

One day, several years ago, he (for still unknown reason) did not stop at T junction.  The inevitable accident actually wrote off the car, and nearly killed my brother - even now, some 30+ yrs later, he still carries the scars.  It really was touch and go for days.

The driver wasn't in the wrong, was he (though he may have been speeding possibly, but that was not the cause of the accident according to the police)?  And his car was written off.  His insurance company chased my brother for the money (and strangely, this was covered by our house insurance somehow  :-/).

Had the driver killed my brother, and as I said, it really was touch and go for days, would we have blamed the driver?
I suppose in this case fortunately you have your brothers version of events to go by.
Had the worst happened, I'm sure nothing the car driver could say would convince you that it wasn't his fault no matter how the blame was apportioned legally.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 04 February 2008, 20:14:56 »

This entire sad episode still has two people who were both in the wrong whilst negotiating the roads network at a particular place.

One is yet to fully pay the bill for her error, the others bill is overpaid.  Unfortunately, no change is given for one of them......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 04 February 2008, 20:15:45 »

In which case I will agree to disagree, as I think if she had her eyes on the road as she should have done, she may have caught a glimpse of this guy and either slowed down or swerved.
You are a motorcyclist have you ever been riding your motorbike and had someone pull out on you?
The first thing the car driver says "I am so sorry I never saw you!"  and yet most motorcyclist ride with their headlights on.....
I think all car drivers should be made to ride a motorcycle for a while before getting into a car....
I honestly think that a motorcyclist that drives a car looks more whilst driving..
Oh yes, I can see it from both sides.  I think she is wrong. Very wrong. Deserves shooting I believe was my first post on it.  BUT the cyclist is also very wrong.

I agree, motorcycle training makes you a better car driver - more alert and concious of whats going on than the training you get to remove the Looney (no pun intended mate ;D) plates from your tin can.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 04 February 2008, 20:16:42 »

I suppose in this case fortunately you have your brothers version of events to go by.
Had the worst happened, I'm sure nothing the car driver could say would convince you that it wasn't his fault no matter how the blame was apportioned legally.
My brother has no recollection of the incident....  ....he remembers leaving work, and he remembers the hospital.  The precursor, the accident, the trip in the ice cream van to A&E are all missing
« Last Edit: 04 February 2008, 20:17:43 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 04 February 2008, 20:32:03 »

Yes if things had have been different yes I think you would have blamed the driver.
But was the driver of the car blamed for being on the phone whilst driving, leaning over to get another cd out of the glovebox, leaning over to pick something off the floor that has dropped off the passenger seat...???  No! so the driver maybe swerved or did something to stop your brother from dying that day because he had his eyes on the road..  
My dad parked his car off the road and on some grass outside a mates house, while he was in the house he saw a Land Rover Disco ram into the back of his car.
The little girl in the back said to her Grandad " I told you not to play with the radio grandad!"
What I am trying to say is he was caught out not watchin what he was doing, as was this women, both didn't have their eyes on the road....
we all do things at certain times that are daft and are lucky to get away with them....

No the cyclist was wrong in going through a redlight, but top and tail of it is the driver was caught using the phone, not having her eyes on the road.

Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 04 February 2008, 20:38:46 »

Yes if things had have been different yes I think you would have blamed the driver.
But was the driver of the car blamed for being on the phone whilst driving, leaning over to get another cd out of the glovebox, leaning over to pick something off the floor that has dropped off the passenger seat...???  No! so the driver maybe swerved or did something to stop your brother from dying that day because he had his eyes on the road..  
My dad parked his car off the road and on some grass outside a mates house, while he was in the house he saw a Land Rover Disco ram into the back of his car.
The little girl in the back said to her Grandad " I told you not to play with the radio grandad!"
What I am trying to say is he was caught out not watchin what he was doing, as was this women, both didn't have their eyes on the road....
we all do things at certain times that are daft and are lucky to get away with them....

No the cyclist was wrong in going through a redlight, but top and tail of it is the driver was caught using the phone, not having her eyes on the road.
In my brothers case, it was touch and go for days. We really didn't know if he would pull through. At no stage was the driver blamed.  Just because he is loved by us does not change the fact it is most probable that my brother was in the wrong.

In this recent case, nobody is for one second saying that the driver is not guilty.  My point is the cyclist is equally guilty.  Whether or not the phone had a bearing on the outcome will probably never be known.

Although anyone using a handheld phone should be taken out by the rocket launcher I am going to fit to the tractor to rid the roads of stupid drivers.
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 04 February 2008, 20:42:03 »

In my brothers case, it was touch and go for days. We really didn't know if he would pull through. At no stage was the driver blamed.  Just because he is loved by us does not change the fact it is most probable that my brother was in the wrong.

In this recent case, nobody is for one second saying that the driver is not guilty.  My point is the cyclist is equally guilty.  Whether or not the phone had a bearing on the outcome will probably never be known.

Although anyone using a handheld phone should be taken out by the rocket launcher I am going to fit to the tractor to rid the roads of stupid drivers.[/quote]

Think you have been listening to "Broocie Bonds" accent to much mate ;D
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 04 February 2008, 20:42:12 »

The facts are:

Stupid bint speeding more interested in mobile phone texting.
Stupid cyclist who'd obviously lost the will to live, jumps red light to get in Bint's path.
Cyclist dies.
Bint goes to prison.

Lets look at how the BBC (the real brunt of my gripe) report it.
Poor innocent cyclist gets hit by Bint.
Cyclist dies.
Bint goes to prison.
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 04 February 2008, 20:45:27 »

The facts are:

Stupid cyclist who'd obviously lost the will to live, jumps red light to get in Bint's path.
Cyclist dies.
Bint goes to prison.

Cyclist dies.
Bint goes to prison.

I agree the cyclist should not have done what he did, Oh 'dangle berries' to it Death Race 2000 come on ;D ;D ;D

Crazydad

• Omega Baron
  • Germany
    • 2.5 V6 facelift
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 04 February 2008, 20:49:02 »

The facts are:

Cyclist dies.
Bint goes to prison.

Cyclist dies.
Bint goes to prison.

I agree the cyclist should not have done what he did, Oh 'dangle berries' to it Death Race 2000 come on ;D ;D ;D
I will be your co-Driver Daz   lmao

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 04 February 2008, 20:51:14 »

The facts are:

Cyclist dies.
Bint goes to prison.

Cyclist dies.
Bint goes to prison.

I will be your co-Driver Daz   lmao

ok your on, mind you will have to take the front seat out and sit in the back you big buggar lmao ;D ;D

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 04 February 2008, 22:04:00 »

OK, read this (from Nov 2007):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=494531&in_page_id=1770

and now tell me that the system is not biased towards cyclists...  >:(
« Last Edit: 04 February 2008, 22:04:12 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 04 February 2008, 22:09:13 »

Blame the CPS for that one ...

He had previously pleading guilty to causing bodily harm by wanton or furious cycling under the Offences Against the Person Act 1861, which carries a maximum sentence of two years in jail.

Should have been done for manslaughter in my opinion   :(
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.