Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Sump Nut!  (Read 1664 times)

Stallion

• Omega Knight
  • Romford
  • "If you can't CONVINCE them, CONFUSE them"!!
    • 3.2 Irmscher Elite
    • View Profile
Oil Sump Nut!
« on: 20 September 2011, 03:26:51 »

Did a oil change earlier today, the sump nut was tight to start with, loosened it up, managed to keep the nut still attached to the rachet bit. Checked for washer none there (inc oil tray) All seems normal so far.
Did the usual in between put the nut back on screw/turn good 30 turns doesnt get tight  :-? :-? OK? lets take it off unscrewing now good 50 turns doesnt come off  :o :o. Baffled went ahead put the new oil in no leaks  ;) start the car up build up pressure/temp no leak. So for the meantime im ok, but i know come next oil change il be buggered.
What have i done wrong? has anyone else experienced this problem, any ideas now how to take the nut off?...
« Last Edit: 20 September 2011, 03:30:07 by Stallion »

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Sump Nut!
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2011, 06:02:03 »

You have stripped thread in sump, that's what has happened. No washer, just a O-ring to seal the plug to sump.

Options: helicoil. quite a few stories here about this issue.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2011, 08:46:15 »

Solution would be to source a replacement sump and then replace on the next oil change with new sump plug and washer.

Only other cost then will be sump gasket and little bit more mess when removing but you will know it can be removed safely next time on.

They come up on fleebay quite often.Item number: 270820583380 might be worth a punt.

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2011, 13:19:22 »

OR....remove sump and weld a nut to the inside for the sump bolt to screw in to.

Worked a treat in my first Omega.

Stallion

• Omega Knight
  • Romford
    • 3.2 Irmscher Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2011, 17:07:54 »

You have stripped thread in sump, that's what has happened. No washer, just a O-ring to seal the plug to sump.

What is that??

Stallion

• Omega Knight
  • Romford
    • 3.2 Irmscher Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2011, 17:11:19 »

thanks for all the options guys  :y, il see if anyone has a good 3.2 sump on here first than go onto fleabay, and if worse comes to worse than il have to find someone that welds and take duggs option  :( :( :(

Osprey

• Redhill, Surrey
  • Drink up. The world's about to end.
    • 01 2.6 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2011, 22:04:59 »

What is that??

It's a kind of insert that fits between your undamaged screw (in your case sump plug) and the damaged tapped hole (in your case the sump).  The inside of the insert matches the thread on the screw.  The outside matches a new thread that you have to tap into the sump. 

The cunning part is that the liner is in fact just a helical coil of tough wire with a carefully designed cross section to form the threads.  You need a small kit of tools to install one but it isn't a difficult job.  It is a good engineering solution that can be stronger than the original thread. 

Loads of Google hits, including a YouTube video of one being installed. 

Many would argue that, in this particular case, it is easier just to find a larger sump plug and re-tap the hole to fit that.  Covered in a recent thread (sorry) on here, by TheBoy IIRC.   
« Last Edit: 20 September 2011, 22:06:53 by astclair »
I feel like a military academy. Bits of me keep passing out.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2011, 22:16:19 »

The lower sump pan on a V6 is steel, however the drain plug screws into an ally boss pressed into the steel pan. I forget now how much a new pan is - £30 or £40 IIRC but rather than messing about with a Helicoil it's far easier & far far better to just replace the whole thing. Besides, a Helicoil is not really suited to an application like this where the plug will be removed & replaced on a fairly regular basis.

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2011, 08:29:11 »

That is why a torque setting is given so that overtightening and stripping the threads cannot happen. If there is a torque setting it should always be used otherwise the damage caused is usually more expensive to rectify, not to mention difficult.
Helicoil is now the solution, plus the future use of a torque wrench.
 ;)
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2011, 08:37:05 »

Like so many have said Helicoils are brilliant, but I think it would be easier to swap the sump pan.
I am sure if you put a Wanted in the Parts Section one of the Breakers will have one   :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2011, 09:20:33 »

Lots of V6's being broken at the moment, I'd change sump too, good chance to get old oil out  :)

albitz

« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2011, 09:24:49 »

Need one being broken with a knackered engine though.I have a perfectly good engine coming out of a car shortly, but I wont sell the sump seperately, as it would make the whole engine unsaleable. ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2011, 09:26:03 »

Need one being broken with a knackered engine though.I have a perfectly good engine coming out of a car shortly, but I wont sell the sump seperately, as it would make the whole engine unsaleable. ;)

Valid point, but things like 3.0, is it not more valuable selling it in bits? Like the G cams on their own?  :-/

albitz

« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2011, 09:28:14 »

Possibly,depends on the mileage etc. and who wants what at the time. This ones a 2.5 with under 75,000 miles and I have someone interested in buying it,so...... ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2011, 14:07:13 »

is it really worth buying asecond hand sump when they're not that expensive new?  :-?  :-?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 17 queries.