Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bose system  (Read 1812 times)

bear33

• Essex
    • View Profile
bose system
« on: 24 May 2007, 16:06:23 »

As i cant get a cd changer to work with my ccr800 head unit >:(

Im seriously thinking about ripping the bose system out and just putting an alpine cd tuner in its place. I know i wont be able to use the existing plug so will have to cut it off and join the cd tuner via wires. what i was wondering is can i use the bose speakers or will i have to replace them too?

Cheers

Chris

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
Re: bose system
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2007, 16:45:47 »

hmmm ... well it's not quite as simple as that!

bose system uses line level outputs from the head unit, that connects via the wiring loom to the amplifier (under the parcel shelf on saloon - or offside boot compartment on estate) which then amplifies the inputs and feeds the sub(s) and then the speakers via the wiring loom back to the door speakers.

So realistically speaking you either need to make up an adaptor cable that will connect to the line output (NOT speaker output) on the replacement head unit to connect to the existing bose amp (and hope that the line level output isn't high enough to cause the overload protection to cut in) or rip out the whole lot ...

On my first omega someone had a go at this, they connected input to output on the connector of the amplifier's connector plug. The head unit speaker output was then wired to the existing wiring loom. It did work, but the "sub" speakers were connected to the rear speaker outputs, as such there was very little bass output ...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2007, 17:12:44 »

As i cant get a cd changer to work with my ccr800 head unit >:(

Im seriously thinking about ripping the bose system out and just putting an alpine cd tuner in its place. I know i wont be able to use the existing plug so will have to cut it off and join the cd tuner via wires. what i was wondering is can i use the bose speakers or will i have to replace them too?

Cheers

Chris
If you do rip it out, give me first refusal on the headunit, loom, amp, rear shelf speakers :y
Grumpy old man

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2007, 22:39:34 »

If you do rip it out, give me first refusal on the headunit, loom, amp, rear shelf speakers :y
you could swap the looms which would give Chris the non-bose one he'd need  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2007, 08:35:15 »

Its easier than all that......

If you get the connector that attaches to the main loom connector in the drivers foot well off a non Bose car, it loops the speaker wires straight from the head unit to the speakers (door speakers only).

Then you have direct head unit to door connection.....

bear33

• Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2007, 09:45:10 »

if one of you lot on here can do that for me then your more than welcome to have the parts i dont require :y i will supply the cd tuner.just crap with wiring and stuff

bear33

• Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2007, 15:41:32 »

Its easier than all that......

If you get the connector that attaches to the main loom connector in the drivers foot well off a non Bose car, it loops the speaker wires straight from the head unit to the speakers (door speakers only).

Then you have direct head unit to door connection.....

So let me get this right. An Alpine cd tuner wont fit onto the original plug. Correct?

So i need the loom bit that mark is suggesting?

If so any ideas where to get one from if i do require one?

Then i can run an amp (non bose) from the Alpine head unit via aux outputs?

And replace subs in shelf with different make (non bose)

Will it sound as good as the bose system?

I know lots of questions but i'm seriously rubbish when it comes to cars.

I just miss my cd's so much and i havent got an ipod or mp3 to plug in either

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2007, 16:24:37 »

The plug Mark's talking about will connect the speakers back to the head unit rather than the Bose amp, allowing you to use another head unit without an amp.

The plug for the head unit is standard, except that there is an extra connector as part of the moulding in addition to the standard DIN plugs. You'll need a DIN adaptor lead to plug a head unit into the DIN plugs on the loom, and you'll also need to swap over the two +12v leads (most adaptors have a couple of bullet connectors for this.

If you want, in addition, to add another amp, I would suggest taking out all the Bose wiring and amp and selling it (there is a market for this stuff) and starting from scratch wiring up the amp. You could probably hack about with the wiring under the parcel shelf to drive another amp, and there is a HOWTO document on here describing this process, but you'll have to run preamp signals from the head unit to the amp anyway, and probably a beefier feed to supply the amp with 12 volts, so you may just as well run the whole wiring through afresh IMHO.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.