Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheapo tech 2 code readers  (Read 2916 times)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: Cheapo tech 2 code readers
« Reply #15 on: 17 July 2008, 13:17:36 »

Hi! I bought one a couple of months ago, an ELM327 USB jobbie and I have had no problems with it! I (acquired) several types of software and most work. These being Proscan 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, Scanmaster, OBD2SPY among others. As your car is pre 2001 not too sure if these programmes would work.

Have you ever tried communicating with late model VX stuff? Any radio programming possible?

:-?

I seem to recall a piece of software specific to Vauxhalls that promised this kind of functionality via an ELM327 interface. Still under development IIRC.

Most software for these interfaces that I've seen implement the generic code reading / resetting / live data whereas what you're referring to probably used proprietary extensions to the protocols and is less easy to support.

The ELM chip is probably a good, stable base to work from to handle the low level interfaces, as long as the physical standards the radios use are covered.

Kevin

I think you may be right   :'(
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

iggy21uk

• Omega Knight
  • Berkhamsted - Herts
  • Omega Spotter -  tats gone tanning
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 July 2008, 15:26:47 »

The Opel Scanner will do the VX range from 87 including the New Can
Bus the New Vectra & Astra comes with USB. Connects to all the modules I've tried, will do keys.
Cost about £350.00.
[size=10]Opelscanner Can owner / Cam lock kit owner [/size] [/i][/b]

Drewomega

• Aviemore and Mallorca
    • SKODA Octavia Scout 2.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 July 2008, 20:24:38 »

Hi! I bought one a couple of months ago, an ELM327 USB jobbie and I have had no problems with it! I (acquired) several types of software and most work. These being Proscan 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, Scanmaster, OBD2SPY among others. As your car is pre 2001 not too sure if these programmes would work.

Have you ever tried communicating with late model VX stuff? Any radio programming possible?

:-?

Nope! I can only acquire VIN numbers and of course live data on my 2003 Omega. As a previous thread with TB I have a radio "safe" issue with my vehicle, which I would love to get rid of!  It does however communicate with the transmission.
I'm always last in the office in the morning but I make up for it by leaving first.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.