Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading my CD500  (Read 3332 times)

Phil B

• South Wales
    • View Profile
Upgrading my CD500
« on: 14 October 2008, 17:50:26 »

Ok I'm fed up of my puny cd500 clipping when the volume increases with car speed, and any attempt to hear a bit of bass from my (ahem) Creedence Clearwater Revival results in horrific farting noises from the speakers.

I have a couple of amps and a Sony CDX MP40 lying around so first I tried dropping the MP40 in. Great sound and loads of headroom, but I need to buy a 50 quid adaptor to drive the dash display and steering controls. Also I don't think I can live with the lack of speed related volume, or the hideous look of the thing!

So now I am thinking of putting the CD500 back in and using an amp to beef it up. Before I start splicing ISO looms though, is the CD500 going to drive the high level inputs on the amp well? Has anyone tried using the speaker outputs on a factory fit stereo to drive such amp inputs?

Cheers
Phil

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: Upgrading my CD500
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2008, 23:25:25 »

Should run them just fine.

;)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Phil B

• South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2008, 00:04:49 »

Good stuff, cheers Dave  :)

As the only place available to mount the amp is under the parcel shelf, can I splice two stereo RCA-type long interconnect leads into the ISO loom and run them back to the boot for the input?

That'll mean running four sets of twin core speaker wire back up to the dash to patch back into the speaker loom for the power side.

Does this sound alright? Any better Ideas?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2008, 08:38:39 »

This doesn`t sound right.

You ask about high level inputs from the head unit to the amp, this would be done using 2 core speaker cable. Where are you getting this RCA idea from? If using high level inputs, you do not use RCA, its one or the other. Power MUST always be taken directly from the battery via a fuse of course.
www.dndservices.co.uk

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2008, 09:00:40 »

Ok I'm fed up of my puny cd500 clipping when the volume increases with car speed, and any attempt to hear a bit of bass from my (ahem) Creedence Clearwater Revival results in horrific farting noises from the speakers.

I have a couple of amps and a Sony CDX MP40 lying around so first I tried dropping the MP40 in. Great sound and loads of headroom, but I need to buy a 50 quid adaptor to drive the dash display and steering controls. Also I don't think I can live with the lack of speed related volume, or the hideous look of the thing!

So now I am thinking of putting the CD500 back in and using an amp to beef it up. Before I start splicing ISO looms though, is the CD500 going to drive the high level inputs on the amp well? Has anyone tried using the speaker outputs on a factory fit stereo to drive such amp inputs?

Cheers
Phil

I have a Sony display and controls adaptor that needs a new home.

Phil B

• South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2008, 11:39:01 »

Cheers
Phil

Interesting, what's the part number? Is it the connects2 unit?

Phil B

• South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2008, 11:42:55 »

This doesn`t sound right.

You ask about high level inputs from the head unit to the amp, this would be done using 2 core speaker cable. Where are you getting this RCA idea from? If using high level inputs, you do not use RCA, its one or the other. Power MUST always be taken directly from the battery via a fuse of course.

I mean are the high level inputs of a high impedance, so that there would be not much current running through the cable to them? If so could I use RCA cable in place of twin core, for ease of install?

Otherwise it's eight runs of twin core up and down the car

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2008, 12:04:06 »

Otherwise it's eight runs of twin core up and down the car

Correct - do it properly !!

::)
www.dndservices.co.uk

Phil B

• South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2008, 12:15:35 »

Oh all right!!! I just thought speaker cable would be overkill if we're only talking tiny currents.

Very well, I may start pestering interior trim on the weekend.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2008, 15:15:45 »

Cheers
Phil

Will check tonight which one it is.....it also has the adaptor loom to.

Worked very well whenit was fitted to the old ex-plod estate and displayed CD and MD text on the display as well as RDS info etc.

murse

• UK
  • Stressed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 October 2008, 16:06:36 »

So, can anyone say for sure what brands are able to be used with an adaptor to give GID information?  IIRC Sony and Kenwood have had the capacity in the past but not all head units will work...  That said, if the adaptor mentioned above is similar to this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-STEERING-DISPLAY-STALK-ADAPTOR-SONY-NEW_W0QQitemZ170267994115QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170267994115&_trkparms=72%3A1346|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 will it physically fit behind the unit anyway?

Edit: Phil B, have you thought about placing the amps under the seats?  Even with electrics quite a bit of room...
« Last Edit: 16 October 2008, 16:08:17 by murse »
More miles than the starship Enterprise but she keeps on rolling!  (Edit: not in a straight line anymore!)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #11 on: 16 October 2008, 17:00:08 »

So, can anyone say for sure what brands are able to be used with an adaptor to give GID information?  IIRC Sony and Kenwood have had the capacity in the past but not all head units will work...  That said, if the adaptor mentioned above is similar to this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-STEERING-DISPLAY-STALK-ADAPTOR-SONY-NEW_W0QQitemZ170267994115QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170267994115&_trkparms=72%3A1346|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 will it physically fit behind the unit anyway?

Edit: Phil B, have you thought about placing the amps under the seats?  Even with electrics quite a bit of room...

There are so few display adaptors available for the Omega, that you would be better looking for an adaptor first and find a head unit to suit it, rather than the other way around

Many radios now have display out, but Omega too old to warrant making display adaptors now.

:(
www.dndservices.co.uk

Phil B

• South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 October 2008, 17:20:17 »

Cheers
Phil

Will check tonight which one it is.....it also has the adaptor loom to.

Worked very well whenit was fitted to the old ex-plod estate and displayed CD and MD text on the display as well as RDS info etc.

Thanks mate  :y

Phil B

• South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 October 2008, 17:25:04 »

Murse, there is hardly any room at all behind the unit so I will have to venture out behind the cubby hole and yonder. I've had to do this anyway just to fit the sony ISO adaptor.

I had a quick look under the seats and initially decided it wouldn't be a good place for the amps. I think there are air ducts for the rear passenger feet that would stop you bolting the amp to the floor pan, and then the electric height adjust too. I'll have another look at home time though my memory has a tendency to make things up

murse

• UK
  • Stressed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 October 2008, 19:18:54 »

No, you're right - I forgot about the vents.  Not the best cars for easy ICE installs!  Worth it in the end though - I'm about to attach my old Pioneer active sub tube to the standard head unit initially with a speaker wire to RCA adaptor I have lying about, just to see what difference it makes.  Guess the head unit will be going in the bin eventually though :'(

Mind you, compared to my old Mondy Ghia X (finally sold today) the standard sound system is amazing!
More miles than the starship Enterprise but she keeps on rolling!  (Edit: not in a straight line anymore!)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.