Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: uzzlPower Problems  (Read 1250 times)

EliteV6

• Sunny Torbay in Devon
  • Once driven forever smitten
    • View Profile
uzzlPower Problems
« on: 22 December 2008, 12:07:24 »

Bit of a puzzling one this, a few months back i had a problem and left lights on on omega (2002 2.6 V6 Elite), the battery then went flat, i boosted it and started but never seemed to charge again as i had to keep boosting it, i then replaced the battery with a charged one from an old motor which has been fine for about 3 months now.

All of a sudden night before last it wouldnt start again so i boosted again, now this battery was doing the same and had to keep boosting, on the way home with just engine running and headlights on the battery was slowly dieing and just got me home as the headlights went off about 10 houses away from home. the next morning i took the battery off car and removed the power sounder. charged battery for 2hrs on charger and put battery back on car.

Started ok (wihtout booster) but since then the battery light has been on on the dashboard (this has never been on before), drove to my gf's (daylight - no headlights just engine)  (about 10 min drive) and car dash dimming again and eventually cut out half way there, boosted which got me started and another 1 minute driving till it went again and  then boosted again which got enough to roll downhill to the gf's.

I have since left the battery on charge and battery now fully charged, back on car and started and drove back fine only thing is battery light still on.

Any ideas? does the battery light only come on when not charging or will this come on if notices the battery has been left off for a while or does this happen when the power sounder has been removed?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Omega Elite 2.6 V6 (2002)

razzo

• Omega Knight
  • Crapital
    • 97 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: uzzlPower Problems
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2008, 12:48:20 »

seems like your alternator is not having a good day, can you start engine & check battery terminals for volts

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2008, 16:54:52 »

Alternator is a prime suspect here I think

:'(
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

EliteV6

• Sunny Torbay in Devon
  • Once driven forever smitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2008, 17:57:49 »

I have done the volt checks and seems the alternator is the culpret. Doesnt seem to be charging at all anymore.

How easy are they to replace on a v6 engine, could not see a how2 guide on site?
Omega Elite 2.6 V6 (2002)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2008, 18:21:28 »

Cant read your posts due to the size of your Avatar being half way accross the page.
« Last Edit: 23 December 2008, 01:44:49 by skruntie »
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2008, 18:22:48 »

Not everyone has a 20 meg broadband connection to the forum and some use mobiles/PDA's.  Please keep avatars to below 75k to avoid annoyance to low bandwidth users. Also, keep the maximum size to 110 x 110 pixels.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?virboard=omegaelectric;num=1209458172
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2008, 23:13:16 »

Before you totally condemn the alternator, check that the thick cable to the positive battery teminal from the starter and alternator is not getting hot and is tightly cripmped into the battery terminal. These frequently work loose leading to poor charging.

If connections are sound, I agree the alternator sounds FUBAR.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Woodfull

• Taunton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2008, 00:14:40 »

Before you totally condemn the alternator, check that the thick cable to the positive battery teminal from the starter and alternator is not getting hot and is tightly cripmped into the battery terminal. These frequently work loose leading to poor charging.

If connections are sound, I agree the alternator sounds FUBAR.

Kevin

I agree with Kevin, have had exactly that on a previous car, crimp connection to positive terminal had severed leaving only a few strands connected causing battery charging issues. :(

In my experience the two main things that go on alternators are the brushes and/or the diode/rectifier pack (notwithstanding loose/worn connections etc). On some alternators these can be replaced at a fraction of the cost of a new alternator. Not sure about the one fitted to an Omega though.

Worth looking into. :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2008, 09:42:26 »

EliteV6 - Just seen your location !!  

Have a word with Andy at Chelston Electrical, if he can`t supply the bits to repair your alternator, or at least test it for you, he can certainly assist you with a new one at a fraction of what most people will charge.

01803-616060

;)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.