Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bose CCR2006 - How to tell?!  (Read 6045 times)

spaceraceuk

• Ipswich, UK
    • View Profile
Bose CCR2006 - How to tell?!
« on: 09 January 2008, 09:40:33 »

Hi,

I bought a 2.5 CDX estate recently. Having finally got the radio code (no code supplied!) I have setup the radio etc. and all works fine.

I'm slightly confused though. When starting the car the radio section of the display briefly shows 'BOSE System' (or maybe 'BOSE Sound') can't remember now but definitely the word BOSE. Add to this that I'm pretty sure the sound gets louder on the motorway which I believe is a characteristic of the BOSE system. The thing is I have also read there is an amp with the BOSE system, but I can't find it! I've seen a picture on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140197060422&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123) of an estate with the BOSE sound system and the amp looks to be in the passenger side cubby hole in the boot - but mine is definitely empty. Is it hidden somewhere else?  :-?

Thanks
- spacerace -

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Bose CCR2006 - How to tell?!
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2008, 09:43:59 »

Speed dependant volume is standard on the CCR 2006. It doesn't have to be a Bose system to do this.

Can't help with the specifics of the Bose system. Is there any sign of bass speakers anywhere in the back, or have you just got the 4 door speakers?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

spaceraceuk

• Ipswich, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2008, 10:01:21 »

Speed dependant volume is standard on the CCR 2006. It doesn't have to be a Bose system to do this.

ahh ok that's one thing cleared up then. I also now see the bit in the back of the estate on ebay is the sub, not the amp, so maybe I just don't have the sub?

Can't help with the specifics of the Bose system. Is there any sign of bass speakers anywhere in the back, or have you just got the 4 door speakers?

Kevin

haven't seen, but then haven't really looked. will have a poke round the back when I get in it later.

Thanks
- spacerace -

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2008, 10:09:01 »

The BOSE system was an optional upgrade and included an amplifier and various upgraded speakers, often including a sub mounted somewhere in the vehicle.

Because the BOSE amplifier ran at a different line input level than any other standard amplified system, the head unit had to be reprogrammed to take this into account and give the correct line outputs. To signify that the head unit was BOSE reprogrammed, it gave the message when it was powered up.

However, to add to the confusion, the standard speaker outputs on the head unit remained unnafected, so a BOSE unit with a full set of front and rear outputs could run in a standard non amplified car. Many Non-Vauxhall BOSE units do not have this capability, as the standard speaker outputs are often switched off, meaning that once a unit became a BOSE unit, it was of little use to anyone else.

As far as the speed controlled volme, this has been around on many vehicles for years and often signified by the words SCV or GALA on the ISO power plug - a good one to locate as its the wire that can be used for speed pulse when connecting a decent sat nav !!
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2008, 10:35:36 »

My understanding is that on the CCR2006 when configured for Bose the speaker outputs are reduced in level and it is these that drive the Bose amp, there being no line level outputs from the CCR2006. Bose amp then drives all speakers including the door speaker.

I suppose a Bose configured head unit would still drive speakers but at reduced level.

Have never played with one myself, but this is what has been said here previously.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

spaceraceuk

• Ipswich, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2008, 10:46:06 »

Yeah, I may well have the Amp, I'm just not sure where it supposed to be. The bit I thought I was missing looks like it's the sub which I'm not as concerned about as everything will still work without it.
- spacerace -

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2008, 11:04:13 »

The sub will be located to the left side of the boot, under the lid where there should be the first aid kit. The amp is on right hand side, behind the other lid where you can acces the fuel flap. Also, one item is added: there are some sort of trays on each side of boot on top of the wheel housings... Will take some pictures if I remember...

spaceraceuk

• Ipswich, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2008, 11:07:35 »

The sub will be located to the left side of the boot, under the lid where there should be the first aid kit. The amp is on right hand side, behind the other lid where you can acces the fuel flap. Also, one item is added: there are some sort of trays on each side of boot on top of the wheel housings... Will take some pictures if I remember...

thanks, that would be great. I know the left hand side (sub) was empty, I'll go check the right for an amp...
- spacerace -

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2008, 11:09:31 »

My understanding is that on the CCR2006 when configured for Bose the speaker outputs are reduced in level and it is these that drive the Bose amp, there being no line level outputs from the CCR2006. Bose amp then drives all speakers including the door speaker.

Correct - I was giving a general answer to cover the useage of Bose units in Non Vauxhall`s as well, to assist others who locate this thread with other vehicles and a similar problem. (Audi / Porsche etc)
www.dndservices.co.uk

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2008, 11:29:30 »

OK....here are a few more facts to help....

The CDx does not have Bose and from memory it was not an option.

Bose was standard on the Elites from mid 97ish (mini facelift) onwards. The system utilises, in the case of the facelift cars, a standard head unit, an additional amp, a sub (either in the side of the boot on estates or in the form of LF drivers on the back shelf in the saloon) and different door speakers.

The key difference on the door speakers is that they are 2ohms in order to allow the amp to drive slightly higher wattages using a standard nominal 12V supply fom the car without the use of a DC-DC to boost the supply voltage (which is what is done in big car amps).

The headunit is programmed (via Tech2) to configure the ouputs to be standard speaker level (for non bose) or a low level balanced feed (to drive the Bose amp). In either configuration the outputs use the standard speaker connections on the unit.

The display does not get information as to the config via the radio coms link, it is programmed (again by tech2) to display Bose during power up.

This sudgests that your car does not have the original display and that it has also not been re-configured to your car using tech2.

As additional info, the wiring loom is little changed for Bose, there is a single additional loom that runs from the drivers kick panel to the amp, if not fitted a plastic insert is connected that routes the stereo speaker outputs to the speaker wiring.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2008, 11:31:21 by Mark »

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2008, 11:58:03 »

Or alternatively, your car may have had the original head unt swapped for the Bose one ?  Should still function, albeit at a different performance level.

Some good technical advice out here for vehicle information / options etc, we have added to our own database as a result of this thread, as we always see loads of the head units, and know them inside out, but seldom see the vehicles, and cannot always comment on the vehicle specifics as well as others on this forum can.
www.dndservices.co.uk

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2008, 13:00:51 »

Here are the picture of the amp behind the multiplayer and the sub on the other side. I have the CCRT700 head unit.
Amp behind CD Player

Sub

and storage over wheel arches

I have a mini face lift so the multi player is in the rear of the car but apart from that I think the rest of the set up is the same.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2008, 13:03:14 by Elite_Pete »
Retired

spaceraceuk

• Ipswich, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2008, 13:06:58 »

Thanks for all this. I can confirm that the head unit has definitely been changed as the 4 digit code in the audio handbook (that VX confirmed should be the correct one) did not work. I then had the head unit removed and the code 'found' by a local audio tech and it was completely different from the one in the handbook.

So, looks like I maybe have a BOSE configured headunit in a (2000) CDX that has no BOSE additional equipment (sub/amp)? I will double check for wiring loom to make sure when I get 10 mins.
- spacerace -

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2008, 13:11:24 »

The display does not get information as to the config via the radio coms link, it is programmed (again by tech2) to display Bose during power up.

This sudgests that your car does not have the original display

So, looks like I maybe have a BOSE configured headunit in a (2000) CDX that has no BOSE additional equipment

What Marks says suggests it is the display that's been changed (or at least, it has too). If the head unit was still in Bose mode you would have problems with a low signal to the speakers - unless you do have a bose system fitted, of course.

Kevin

spaceraceuk

• Ipswich, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2008, 13:15:23 »

Yes that's confusing. I can't tell if the display is original or has been changed, but it seems odd to me that the display would show the BOSE message by itself linked to a non-BOSE head unit. Seems more likely the display would get/not get that message from the head unit at startup, but there you go.
- spacerace -
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.