Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Elite cuts-out  (Read 2855 times)

remraf

• Leicestershire
    • View Profile
Omega Elite cuts-out
« on: 15 May 2010, 15:13:56 »

Our 1999 Omega 3 litre manual estate has just suddenly started to cut-out whilst driving along - a bit scary! daren't drive it, because if it cuts out on a busy main road it would be even scarier and dangerous! Having managed to coast to the side of the road and leave it for 10 mins, it re-starts and you can get a short distance before it cuts-out again - managed to just get it home this way, but its now sitting on the drive with us wondering what needs doing to resolve it.  Any advice from other sufferers or those with some knowledge would be greatly appreciated.  :'(

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Elite cuts-out
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2010, 15:17:03 »

Our 1999 Omega 3 litre manual estate has just suddenly started to cut-out whilst driving along - a bit scary! daren't drive it, because if it cuts out on a busy main road it would be even scarier and dangerous! Having managed to coast to the side of the road and leave it for 10 mins, it re-starts and you can get a short distance before it cuts-out again - managed to just get it home this way, but its now sitting on the drive with us wondering what needs doing to resolve it.  Any advice from other sufferers or those with some knowledge would be greatly appreciated.  :'(

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

Crank shaft sensor  :-/ have you done a paper clip test? You'll get 19 if it is.  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2010, 15:24:11 »

classic crank sensor failure symptoms, do a paper clip test, bet you get a code 19  :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2010, 19:08:36 »

Agree with other replys. :y
I've just done mine for second time in 4000 miles as contrary to my previous post "Crank sensor, Genuine or otherwise" where I said that the part that I purchased from AutoVaux was same part number, it is same number but not same part as my new genuine part has Bosch stamp plus GM part ID on it.
Buy genuine. There is a guide in Maintenance section. Mine was £64 for my 3.2 from Vauxhall Dealership as I have no trade card.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2010, 19:10:21 by Alan-Hearn »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2010, 19:51:34 »

Agree with other replys. :y
I've just done mine for second time  ......

So've I .... well! paid someone to, as it was too cold & wet to crawl under the car to fit & I needed the car for the following day  ::)..... but my genuine sensor lasted about 5 yrs.  :y :y

remraf

• Leicestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2010, 21:08:05 »

Thanks all for the quick and very helpful advice - appreciated!  Excuse my ignorance but the 'paper-clip' test? hows that work then? and where do you find what the codes mean?  Accept that it seems that the crankshaft sensor has failed, but what is it there for - when it doesn't fail!

Thanks, :)

Chris

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2010, 21:52:19 »

Thanks all for the quick and very helpful advice - appreciated!  Excuse my ignorance but the 'paper-clip' test? hows that work then? and where do you find what the codes mean?  Accept that it seems that the crankshaft sensor has failed, but what is it there for - when it doesn't fail!

Thanks, :)

Chris

All your questions should be answered via this thread
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1236032406 the codes & what they mean are there somewhere.
The sensor just monitors where the crank shaft is at anyone time in the 360o so it can decide when to inject fuel & fire the spark plugs.  :y
« Last Edit: 15 May 2010, 21:52:52 by Andy_B »

remraf

• Leicestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2010, 13:38:07 »

I'm a bit deflated after doing the paperclip test as code 19 would have confirmed what you all said - however, ran the car on tick-over for 10 mins (until it stopped!) and got this code sequence: 12 12 12 - 57 57 57 - 73 73 73 - 94 94 94 - 48 48 48

code 57 is 'Idle air control voltage low'
code 73 is 'Mass air flow sensor voltage low'
code 94 is 'Hall sensor voltage low'
code 48 is 'Battery voltage low'

Any thoughts?  :-/

Thanks,

Chris

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2010, 16:52:38 »

I'm a bit deflated after doing the paperclip test as code 19 would have confirmed what you all said - however, ran the car on tick-over for 10 mins (until it stopped!) and got this code sequence: 12 12 12 - 57 57 57 - 73 73 73 - 94 94 94 - 48 48 48

code 57 is 'Idle air control voltage low'
code 73 is 'Mass air flow sensor voltage low'
code 94 is 'Hall sensor voltage low'
code 48 is 'Battery voltage low'

Any thoughts?  :-/

Thanks,

Chris

Flat battery?

The other low voltages could be a result of the bettery voltage being low.

Omegas can have problems with the wires breaking where they attach to the battery.

I had a very early 2.5 v6 Omega that suffered a crank sensor failure which didn't bring up a code 19.

Chances are that it is the crank sensor and the low voltages are the result of running the battery down trying to start it.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2010, 17:29:19 »

Remember that any fault codes you get are not necessarily where the problems lie, and are simply an indication of what the engine is telling you that it is seeing.

Its how you interpret the fault codes that is even more important than the codes themselves. A crank sensor if the engine is running, will show up many other faults that are running "out of balance" but may not always show up the sensor itself.

But as others have said - its a known favourite to fail, and the symptoms described are classic of this.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

NF

• Intermediate Member
  • Mid Cornwall
    • 2002 3.2 V6 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2010, 21:32:18 »

Hi Remraf
I had the same problem of the engine cutting out, did not get a code 19 but replaced the crank sensor last week with a genuine VX one (90540743). Car has not missed a beat since. Drove to London and back the day after fitting the sensor. Thanks to the brilliant advice from the forum.
Trade Card Holder

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2010, 23:18:56 »

Remember that any fault codes you get are not necessarily where the problems lie, and are simply an indication of what the engine is telling you that it is seeing.

Its how you interpret the fault codes that is even more important than the codes themselves. A crank sensor if the engine is running, will show up many other faults that are running "out of balance" but may not always show up the sensor itself.

But as others have said - its a known favourite to fail, and the symptoms described are classic of this.

Totally agree with this. I have done two crank sensors on my current car and did not get a code 19 either time yet when my autobox selector sensor was faulty it threw up a TC fault, presumably caused by the erratic antics of the gearbox. Once the selector was rectified and codes cleared the TC was fine. Worth doing the crank sensor if only to eliminate it. :-/
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

John Lewis

• Intermediate Member
  • Macclesfield, Cheshire
  • Macc is wack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2010, 01:08:02 »

Just had the same problem with the same car. Mine brought up a code 19 when engine off.

@NF: which year & spec is your car please? I think you may have found my part number, lol  :y
« Last Edit: 17 May 2010, 01:08:25 by johnlewis »

sneakypenguin

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
  • Xbox gamertag MagicGinjaninja
    • 07 Volvo V70 T5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2010, 02:52:48 »

as said,crank shaft sensor, had mine die on motorway a few months ago then refusing to start for about half an hour. Be careful to get the right one, there are two, oval and rectangular plugs   :y
07 Volvo V70 T5 SE ex police

NF

• Intermediate Member
  • Mid Cornwall
    • 2002 3.2 V6 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2010, 21:15:07 »

My car is a 98 3.0 Elite V6
Trade Card Holder
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.