Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Single din audio connector for the Omega  (Read 1378 times)

SJKOO01

Single din audio connector for the Omega
« on: 25 July 2010, 19:53:28 »

I'm about to put in a JVC single din unit in my car, and was given what I think is a 'iso' connector adaptor for connecting up the unit.

However, whilst it's freely given to me, I need some advise if it would work on a 2001 model Omega.  It's a Halfords PC2-04-4 model, and states that it'll work for "Vauxhall Astra,  Calibra, Cavalier (88+) Corsa, Frontera, Nova (86+), Sintra, Vectra".

My question is would it work for the Omega, or do I need to get a different adaptor ?.  As don't want to make an asumption that'll work ?.

If not, were would the best place be to get a proper adaptor lead ?.

Also want to get rid of the steering controls, so rather than simple remove them, and cut the wires, is there another vauxhall model, where I could simple swap the stereo controls / horn push loom, for a simple loom where just works the horns, but plugs into the Omega plug (if that makes sense) ?.

Thanks.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Single din audio connector for the Omega
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2010, 20:21:45 »

Sounds like right adapter. Should have ability to swap 12v and ign over, as Vauxhalls are often the 'non std' way round.

A pre 1998 steering wheel?
Grumpy old man

SJKOO01

« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2010, 20:40:39 »

Sounds like right adapter. Should have ability to swap 12v and ign over, as Vauxhalls are often the 'non std' way round.

Is this the red & yellow common problem wires, where if there not changed means that everytime you switch off the ign, then the memory settings are lost ?.

Duhhhhhh..... why didn't I think of that, earlier model swop over, try and find someone who want's to swap for facelift then   ::) .  Cheers for that  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2010, 20:46:03 »

Is this the red & yellow common problem wires, where if there not changed means that everytime you switch off the ign, then the memory settings are lost ?.

Duhhhhhh..... why didn't I think of that, earlier model swop over, try and find someone who want's to swap for facelift then   ::) .  Cheers for that  :y
1) Yup :y

2) Never checked what the differences are - might need different contactor unit etc???
Grumpy old man

SJKOO01

« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2010, 20:51:39 »

1) Yup :y

2) Never checked what the differences are - might need different contactor unit etc???

I did wonder if the horn push buttons on an Astra G would swop over, as I know they had the steering wheel options.  And thought perhaps that vauxhall would use the same horn push / steering controls through out the range to save costs ?.  Mind you they don't always do the simple thing do they  ::) . Looks like one I'll have to look into  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2010, 22:12:58 »

May not show too much just removing buttons?
Grumpy old man

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
  • Sleeping. Do not disturb.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2010, 23:10:15 »

If you can afford it and if the JVC stereo is capable of doing it, why not get the lead that enables the steering wheels to be retained. You can also keep the dash board radio display functional...

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2010, 09:05:35 »

If you can afford it and if the JVC stereo is capable of doing it, why not get the lead that enables the steering wheels to be retained. You can also keep the dash board radio display functional...

No. A lead is indeed available for a compatable JVC to run on the steering controls, but JVC stereos do not support any form of connection or display output capability that is required in order to run the original dash display.

;)
« Last Edit: 26 July 2010, 09:06:15 by Dave_DND »
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2010, 10:18:42 »

Dave I know Kenwood had this capability of retaining display information, but were there any other manufacturers that had it?

p.beckwith

• bedford
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2010, 11:06:31 »

i have a kenwood ( not fitted as yet )  but would like to know if i can retain display  via an adaptor ( have 12 disk cd player )

yours  faithfully     paul

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 July 2010, 11:09:32 »

Beckwith first check does the Kenwood have an input for the steering remote on the back of the stereo.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2010, 12:28:26 »

Some (although very few) Kenwood, Alpine and Sony models had a display output capability and would run some (not all) of the Omega displays via an expensive interface (circa £100 ish)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

zvi

• Intermediate Member
  • IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 July 2010, 19:39:04 »

I'm about to put in a JVC single din unit in my car, and was given what I think is a 'iso' connector adaptor for connecting up the unit.

However, whilst it's freely given to me, I need some advise if it would work on a 2001 model Omega.  It's a Halfords PC2-04-4 model, and states that it'll work for "Vauxhall Astra,  Calibra, Cavalier (88+) Corsa, Frontera, Nova (86+), Sintra, Vectra".

My question is would it work for the Omega, or do I need to get a different adaptor ?.  As don't want to make an asumption that'll work ?.

If not, were would the best place be to get a proper adaptor lead ?.

Also want to get rid of the steering controls, so rather than simple remove them, and cut the wires, is there another vauxhall model, where I could simple swap the stereo controls / horn push loom, for a simple loom where just works the horns, but plugs into the Omega plug (if that makes sense) ?.

Thanks.
You will also need a short antenna cable a female like TV's to male for the JVC side

SJKOO01

« Reply #13 on: 27 July 2010, 19:37:09 »

Thanks all for your posts.

Now armed with information, so will try to get around to fitting the unit this weekend

Cheers  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.