Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drilling out exhaust Studs  (Read 6557 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Drilling out exhaust Studs
« Reply #90 on: 04 October 2011, 10:03:30 »

No room for a stud exractor ime. Too close to the pipework.  :-\ it will just chew the stud anyway as it's seized already.

Just drill the bugger. Don't need to go all the way though. Remains will come loose long before. But if you do bugger the thread on the cat, use a smaller nut and bolt through the hole instead.
Should be able to get the roller extractor I'm lending him over... Not much bigger than a decent impact socket :y

The fact the tension has been removed and that (I assume) it's been well and truly soaked in Plusgas for a week or more may work in his favour. At the end of the day, there's too much "shaft" there to start drilling straight away really so he may as well try ;)

Even if he gets one out with the extractor, that's a good time saved with the drill ::)
Not a hope. Waist of time. Angle grind the excess off and drill the rest. Will take two or three cobalt bits but it's the only way if it's sheared off already. The threads will have dragged the rusty end in, that's why it's sheared.

Although I do have a mental image of a pair of useless student legs and a length of flex spinning around "wallace and grommet" style under a jacked up omega ;D

The studs hardly moved before they sheared!  :'(

I'm getting confused (easily done!) too many people on this thread with same avatar!  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 04 October 2011, 10:15:42 »

The studs wont have moved at all before they sheared.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 04 October 2011, 10:30:36 »

Agreed... I'll be amazed if they've moved at all.

You have nothing to lose by trying the heat, plus gas, shock, extractor method other than a little time.

I'll be amazed if it gets them all out but may save you drilling at least one ;)

At the end of the day, you haven't got to go out and buy the roller extractor so it's not costing you anything to try it :y If you were going to buy the tool I'd say not to bother ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 04 October 2011, 10:32:08 »

You have nothing to lose by trying the heat, plus gas, shock, extractor method other than a little time.

I'll be amazed if it gets them all out but may save you drilling at least one ;)

At the end of the day, you haven't got to go out and buy the roller extractor so it's not costing you anything to try it :y If you were going to buy the tool I'd say not to bother ;)

Very true, thanks again for letting me borrow them  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 04 October 2011, 10:34:34 »

Very true, thanks again for letting me borrow them  :y
Not a problem... They're just sat in my tool box gathering dust at the moment ::)

Hopefully (sort of) I'll need to use them over the winter as a group of us have just taken on a unit for the "Playthings" so I've got somewhere indoors to start stripping the mini down :y But that all depends on time with the new business so :-\ :-\
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 04 October 2011, 10:41:32 »

I've done quite a few now. Grind the broken stud flush, use a centre punch and take your time drilling, don't go putting all your weight behind the drill and start off with a smaller drill bit and work your way up ;)
Retired
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.