Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Are manual cars dangerous?  (Read 11002 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Are manual cars dangerous?
« Reply #45 on: 18 October 2011, 22:16:55 »

....  When I go down birdlip hill,  .....

Ah! Birdlip Hill. I used to go up & down that hill going to & from Pompey. Many many moons ago, road markings allowed the middle lane to used to go up or down the hill. I saw the results of quite a few accidents. It was also a test of any work carried out on my Cortina that week end, if I was lucky I might still be doing 30 mph at the top of the hill - in 2nd gear. ;D ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 18 October 2011, 22:18:31 »

lol. i actually wrote off my astra in 2003. got to say hitting the airbag was quite a comfortable experience. although i dont think ill ever forget the smell (from the airbag, not my pants)  :-[
Airbags weren't fitted to 99% of cars when I last had a head-on.  Eating a steering wheel isn't a comfortable experience. Smarts a bit, if I'm honest.....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 18 October 2011, 22:19:44 »

....  When I go down birdlip hill,  .....

Ah! Birdlip Hill. I used to go up & down that hill going to & from Pompey. Many many moons ago, road markings allowed the middle lane to used to go up or down the hill. I saw the results of quite a few accidents. It was also a test of any work carried out on my Cortina that week end, if I was lucky I might still be doing 30 mph at the top of the hill - in 2nd gear. ;D ;D ;D
Struggle to do 30mph by the top nowadays - too many retards driving like, errr, retards.
Grumpy old man

millwall

• Omega Baron
  • se london
  • no muff too tuff
    • accord type s
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 18 October 2011, 22:20:19 »

lol. i actually wrote off my astra in 2003. got to say hitting the airbag was quite a comfortable experience. although i dont think ill ever forget the smell (from the airbag, not my pants)  :-[
Airbags weren't fitted to 99% of cars when I last had a head-on. Eating a steering wheel isn't a comfortable experience. Smarts a bit, if I'm honest.....

bit like eating a mcdonalds then ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18 October 2011, 22:20:59 »

..and as for cruising in neutral, that's exactly what every auto does when you take your foot off the loud pedal. No engine braking whatsoever.

Errr!? 'dangle berries'.  ;)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 18 October 2011, 22:21:32 »

Airbags weren't fitted to 99% of cars when I last had a head-on. Eating a steering wheel isn't a comfortable experience. Smarts a bit, if I'm honest.....

bit like eating a mcdonalds then ;D

hahahaha here we go............

mcdonalds, although looks like its been kicked around (probably has) is yummy!!!!
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 18 October 2011, 22:23:04 »

Struggle to do 30mph by the top nowadays - too many retards driving like, errr, retards.

I used to travel back during the small hours.  :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 18 October 2011, 22:24:29 »

..and as for cruising in neutral, that's exactly what every auto does when you take your foot off the loud pedal. No engine braking whatsoever.

Errr!? 'dangle berries'.  ;)
The ECU, under most circumstances below cruising speed, completely unlocks the TC, leaving minimal engine braking (there is still a drag through the TC fluid).

Mini facelifts and the first of the facelifts, having the GS820 ECU is probably the best for engine braking, but still more often than not, TC is disconnected.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 18 October 2011, 22:26:10 »

I used to travel back during the small hours.  :y :y
Maybe I'm getting old, but no matter what time I go up that slope, there is some prat doing it in 2nd, and not wanting to let the engine rev. And they are the ones overtaking  >:( ;D
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 18 October 2011, 22:27:47 »

The ECU, under most circumstances below cruising speed, completely unlocks the TC, leaving minimal engine braking (there is still a drag through the TC fluid).

Mini facelifts and the first of the facelifts, having the GS820 ECU is probably the best for engine braking, but still more often than not, TC is disconnected.

I agree there's little engine braking ......... but little isn't 'no engine braking whatsoever'  ;) ;) gear box will change down one itself too to help compensate  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 18 October 2011, 22:30:56 »

I agree there's little engine braking ......... but little isn't 'no engine braking whatsoever'  ;) ;) gear box will change down one itself too to help compensate  :y
Its as near as makes no difference as no engine braking - see the difference when coasting to a halt from 50mph when you slip it in neutral.

As said, IIRC, yours is a 99 model, GS820 ECU, if it has the latest firmware, thats about the best map for any Omega.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 18 October 2011, 22:38:51 »

As said, IIRC, yours is a 99 model, GS820 ECU, if it has the latest firmware, thats about the best map for any Omega.

It is ............... and it has.  :y (upgraded before OOF  ;))

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 18 October 2011, 23:24:10 »

Its as near as makes no difference as no engine braking - see the difference when coasting to a halt from 50mph when you slip it in neutral.

Have I missed something, engine braking is or can be as good as manual by manually overriding the auto, an example might be for a steep decent....for spirited driving put it in 3rd sport and enjoy on any country road :) :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 18 October 2011, 23:32:18 »

you sure about your last paragraph kev? When I go down birdlip hill, i seem to get quite a bit of engine braking in my auto. Especially if i hit sport mode? :y

I'm guessing that'll be at higher speeds than I was thinking about. At manoeuvring speeds around bends, roundabouts, etc. there is next to none because the revs are too low for any coupling through the torque converter and the road speed too low for torque converter lockup.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 19 October 2011, 07:06:25 »

If God had wanted us to drive a manual, he would have given us three arms and three legs ::)

Seriously though, only an idiot drives with one hand on the steering wheel, except, of course, when changing gear.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2011, 07:24:51 by Auto Addict »
I like red cars
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 17 queries.