Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone seen one of these actually work in a Miggy? (NCDC replacement)  (Read 8080 times)

feeutfo

Bye-bye check control, and a screen that low is pointless IMO. If there was a head unit to combine all the current functions, tmc, plus all the modern ones such blu tooth streaming, aux in and out, tv, blah blah, and do it all via CID, as well as integrate with the interior, then you'd be on to something.

Yeah right.  ;D

05omegav6

Bye-bye check control, and a screen that low is pointless IMO. If there was a head unit to combine all the current functions, tmc, plus all the modern ones such blu tooth streaming, aux in and out, tv, blah blah, and do it all via CID, as well as integrate with the interior, then you'd be on to something.

Yeah right.  ;D

The only plus point of the screen being that low is that it is physically impossible to watch it and drive. Remote screens are readily available for the passengers. Any one who tries will probably be dead by the end of their road at the latest. They can be connected to the steering wheel controls, which helps, but you do lose several usefull features. The original suggestion has alot of either or choices so will not do as advertised, branded ones will do everything that they are meant to.
 :y

feeutfo

...and useless for sat nav too then.  :-\

The best feature of the standard unit is the colour display sited high up in the dash for navigation. Which is the first feature these units dispense with. Unless fitting a remote screen in the dash is possible. But then why bother with the big screen on the hu?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd

The screen is supposed to be a drivers aid, not something you are supposed to be glued to !!

Another crap design of the Omega is losing all of the trip computer functionality by replacing the dire head unit with anything aftermarket. Although I agree that teh screen position of the Omega is excellent, its certainly not the norm, and many Catera drivers seem to manage perfectly well with the screen mounted lower down. You guys have just been spoilt.

::)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....

It was not a suggestion, it was a question ...... I spotted the thing while searching for a replacement CID .  I would note that the thing claims to work with the GID and CID , and offers sat nag functionality....

My interest was piqued as it has OEM appearance and claims compatibility....

If it actually did everything , it says it can , and not screw up other bits, I'd be up for it... Given its price being broadly equivalent to a fully working  ncdc and CID combo
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd

Actually the listing is very innaccurate. This model is actually designed as a direct plug and play replacement for the later models of Vauxhall that have a CD30/70/90 etc. The steering control and display outputs will function via the canbus controls on these vehicles also.

However, this model does not require a can signal to turn on, so it is possible to retro fit to an earlier model of car that has a similar physical size stereo in it, however, it is highly unlikely that the steering controls nor display would function in this instance as the protocol is very wrong.

Not to be confused with the bulk of chinese tat coming across, some of these dedicated head units are actually starting to look quite good, and we have been selling this model ourselves for many years now, but that said, I wouldn`t advise it for the Omega, we sell them for the late Astra / Corsa
www.dndservices.co.uk

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....

ahhh  that makes sense now..... 

bit cheeky of the buggers eh??

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd

They are making the false assupmtion that because the head unit is the same physical shape, that all the connectivity will be the same !!

Always give the trade a bad name when things like this happen

>:(
www.dndservices.co.uk

05omegav6

Presumably, the A/V out put can be linked in series to other monitors, including perhaps a screen of suitable size where the CID/GID display is. :-\

Though that might have the downside of actively encouraging peeps to watch telly/DVDs etc whilst driving. No one watches their sat nav displays for example... ::)

I guess it boils down to how much cake you can have and eat at the same time... :)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd

Presumably, the A/V out put can be linked in series to other monitors, including perhaps a screen of suitable size where the CID/GID display is. :-\

Certainly can

I guess it boils down to how much cake you can have and eat at the same time... :)

Nope, it depends how big a cake you can afford

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

Yeah right.  ;D
CD70 ::)
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd

Will CD70 display current trip functions then?

If so, I may also have found a solution to the CAN ignition problem   ;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile

Trip functions are programmed via the screen aren't they?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

Dpends which screen you attach it to ;)
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

The screen is supposed to be a drivers aid, not something you are supposed to be glued to !!

Another crap design of the Omega is losing all of the trip computer functionality by replacing the dire head unit with anything aftermarket. Although I agree that teh screen position of the Omega is excellent, its certainly not the norm, and many Catera drivers seem to manage perfectly well with the screen mounted lower down. You guys have just been spoilt.

::)
so this dire head unit, is this the one you said you'd look into replacing? As apparently any "decent" modern head unit can replace all the 2015 functions with CID... Hmm? :P

We await your recommendation still. Oh, and don't forget to keep the far superior Bose sound.  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.