Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: need to find a small cheap runabout for daughter....  (Read 4168 times)

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
Re: need to find a small cheap runabout for daughter....
« Reply #15 on: 08 January 2012, 12:17:24 »

Nissan Micra 1.0 or 1.3 CVT. Bombproof, cheap on insurance, good on fuel :y  Or if she fancies a bit of 2 seat retro look...Nissan Figaro 1.0 Auto.

Early micra breaks timing chain due to being crap insufficient lubrication, Nissan blamed the owners for not changing the oil enough.  :P

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #16 on: 08 January 2012, 23:33:26 »

my  mother in law had a micra,  suffice to say i'll be cold and dead and pushing up daisies before THAT happens again.

top budget is up to £700  , i've looked at every bloody polo and corsa i can find online,  ......

was mildly interested in that fiesta in bicester, till i got the insurance quote....  for some reason it's £400 a year more than a similarly specc'ed corsa.... 
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 January 2012, 23:43:11 »

Are these electronic, tiptronic or what ever you want to call them classed as 'Auto' from a license point of view, i suspect they are not, as not classed as Auto........... :-\ :-\ :-\

Pretty sure they are. I'll dig her V5 out when I remember, but I'm sure it just has aito as the gearbox.  :-\
If there is no clutch pedal then they will be auto's, I suppose?

Was just a thought, often these do not come up as auto's on searching web sites, but guess 2 pedals is the thing... :) :)

jyr001

• Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 January 2012, 08:56:14 »

I think the Easytronic version of the Corsa is quite a recent model. I have an early (95 M plate) which has a conventional auto box with sport (and ice) mode. Very nice little cars and even though she's been pretty much left to sit for the past 8 or 9 years (since the school runs stopped) she'll still do 40mpg on a run when she gets the chance. Quite nippy too.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #19 on: 09 January 2012, 09:44:10 »

Nissan Micra 1.0 or 1.3 CVT. Bombproof, cheap on insurance, good on fuel :y  Or if she fancies a bit of 2 seat retro look...Nissan Figaro 1.0 Auto.

Early micra breaks timing chain due to being crap insufficient lubrication, Nissan blamed the owners for not changing the oil enough.  :P

Ken

never heard of it (may be different models sold here ).. the only problem is at high rpms, Air condition goes off..

aaronjb

« Reply #20 on: 09 January 2012, 09:54:37 »

Ken

never heard of it (may be different models sold here ).. the only problem is at high rpms, Air condition goes off..

I think Nissan may have always done that with the A/C - even the 300ZX twin turbo cuts the a/c compressor out at full throttle.. just so you can have every last horse to have fun with :)

Granted 'fun' doesn't really spring to mind when you say 'Micra'  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 January 2012, 09:57:40 »

I think the Easytronic version of the Corsa is quite a recent model. I have an early (95 M plate) which has a conventional auto box with sport (and ice) mode. Very nice little cars and even though she's been pretty much left to sit for the past 8 or 9 years (since the school runs stopped) she'll still do 40mpg on a run when she gets the chance. Quite nippy too.

Corsa C onwards had the easitronic, no real mechancial or electrical issues with them but they are not the most refined and need the latest software (the ealier software on them is woeful!).

The Corsa B used the bulletproof proper auto but was only available on 1.4 upwards

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 January 2012, 10:07:07 »

Ken

I think Nissan may have always done that with the A/C - even the 300ZX twin turbo cuts the a/c compressor out at full throttle.. just so you can have every last horse to have fun with :)

Granted 'fun' doesn't really spring to mind when you say 'Micra'  ;D

Sound more like a design fault where the aircon over the refridgerant at high revs!

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 09 January 2012, 10:17:02 »

Sound more like a design fault where the aircon over the refridgerant at high revs!

Maybe on the Corsa, but not on the ZX.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 January 2012, 14:14:29 »

i think you mean Micra Aaron.....   

still hunting......   where's good for auctions these days ???    (looked at WOMA, nothing coming thru of any interest)

aaronjb

« Reply #25 on: 09 January 2012, 14:17:18 »

Yup, I did. Not concentrating, clearly.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 January 2012, 16:54:04 »

It's that pair of incident in the car park earlier, isn't it? ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #27 on: 09 January 2012, 19:08:34 »

It's that pair of incident in the car park earlier, isn't it? ;)

They were It was very distracting..

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 January 2012, 19:16:10 »

My mate's just bought a nice looking Saxo for about £500. Is in good nick. Low mileage.

I'd personally make her take her manual test then she can have a pick of what she wants.

I guess, although I don't know, that finding an auto that fits the bill may become tedious. Just my initial thoughts though  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 January 2012, 22:54:52 »

it's already tedious.....

keep seeing ones just out of the price bracket,  or on the other side of the world....     adding 3 figure costs to go fetch it sight unseen....

hoping she'll be patient.... and not rush off and buy something without me....    if it gets near the end of the month i'll be able to double the budget.....    which will make it a helluva lot easier.... 

(bearing in mind there's the insurance to deal with.... Admiral have given me a good quote to put my mig and the new rollerskate on a multi-car, multi-driver policy.....  where she'll earn the NCD for the rollerskate, and i'll keep mine.....   )

£386 for the year on my 3.2 mv6 , and  between £1190 and £1290 for a corsa (1.4 auto oddly is cheaper than 1.2 auto to insure???? )

saw a nice little cdx 1.4 , but for some reason that quotes at £1650 for insurance....   

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 17 queries.