Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Another aerial question  (Read 2693 times)

Clouseau

• Telford
  • Keeping the dream alive...
    • View Profile
Another aerial question
« on: 08 January 2012, 14:12:01 »

I have the usual roof mount aerial on my CDX estate and the CCR 2006 unit.  Having fitted an Elite tailgate spoiler I now need to purchase the Prodrive aerial ball adapter to incline the original aerial away from the spoiler or, perhaps, ditch the Vx aerial and fit something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-SHARK-FIN-CAR-ANTENNA-AERIAL-VAUXHALL-ASTRA-OMEGA-/350128295143?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item518545cce7#ht_4282wt_1011

Question is, does anyone know whether the standard aerial is amplified, and what sort of fitting/connection is there under the roof lining. Anyone fitted something like this already and have any advice?

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
Re: Another aerial question
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2012, 19:05:27 »

OK, so I've now explored under the headlining and have confirmed three wires from the aerial. One if a 12v switched feed when the radio is on, so presumably it is an amplified aerial.

One cable is the aerial from the radio and the other presumably is from the phone loom. Now these aerial cables plug into a multi plug and are of a type I've never come across before. Forgot to take a photo, but they are not the standard DIN aerial plugs. They are about an inch long, 1/4 inch diameter metal cylinder with a groove around the circumference around half way down.

Anyone know what this type of connector is called and can I get an adaptor for a standard DIN plug?  Sorry, no photos at the moment...

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2012, 19:08:29 »

OK, so I've now explored under the headlining and have confirmed three wires from the aerial. One if a 12v switched feed when the radio is on, so presumably it is an amplified aerial.

One cable is the aerial from the radio and the other presumably is from the phone loom. Now these aerial cables plug into a multi plug and are of a type I've never come across before. Forgot to take a photo, but they are not the standard DIN aerial plugs. They are about an inch long, 1/4 inch diameter metal cylinder with a groove around the circumference around half way down.

Anyone know what this type of connector is called and can I get an adaptor for a standard DIN plug?  Sorry, no photos at the moment...

I've seen a number of different styles of connectors fitted to bases depending on spec. Any chance of a picture?

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2012, 19:27:16 »

Ok, found this on Google - this is a GSM to 'Opel' adaptor .. defininately the plug circled is what I've got. Problem is I'm going to need an adaptor with a female DIN socket on one end and an 'Opel' female socket on the other...

Anyone know what this is?  Possibly a 'DOW-3'?? ???

pirate

• Intermediate Member
  • westhumble surrey
    • steinmetz elit estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2012, 19:51:24 »

i wanted to put a new top on my estate arial, knob in halfords got me one i put it on and radio is crap so put the old one back on,its mainly just its starting to look shabby but works fine, am i right in thinking its also for the car phone too ?

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2012, 20:08:35 »

Ok, been back out there and this is the little b****r:

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2012, 07:37:43 »

Anyone? Can't believe no-one's come across this before? :-\

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2012, 07:48:55 »

mine has one but it in the boot door for arial amp, gose in amp, 2 wires come out of the box and go to the window eliments.
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2012, 22:53:29 »

Are you sure its the connector for the FM radio, as looks suspiciously like a GSM style connector to me ?

???
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2012, 02:13:21 »

The blue plug in the pic is the aerial plug :y Have seen at least two types though :-\

Just to add, the aerial mounting is above the boot light reflector iirc. Not sure how the 'shark fin' ones are mounted, but it may sit too far back and foul the tailgate :-\
Will also need painting :y
« Last Edit: 10 January 2012, 02:16:22 by taxi al »

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2012, 10:51:22 »

Thanks both. Dave there are two of these plugs within the blue housing, one being the aerial and the other presumably the GSM.
Al, the ones I'm looking at should fit ok without fouling and are a gloss black, fortunately. Perhaps another option is to fit a dummy shark fin and fit another aerial elsewhere or run a normal DIN extension aerial between the fin and the head unit? I know I can resolve this with the prodrive adaptor but I don't think the vertical aerial will look right.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2012, 19:50:39 »

Thanks both. Dave there are two of these plugs within the blue housing, one being the aerial and the other presumably the GSM.
Al, the ones I'm looking at should fit ok without fouling and are a gloss black, fortunately. Perhaps another option is to fit a dummy shark fin and fit another aerial elsewhere or run a normal DIN extension aerial between the fin and the head unit? I know I can resolve this with the prodrive adaptor but I don't think the vertical aerial will look right.

Get a base off an Astra Estate.  ;) Won't foul the spoiler as the aerial isn't at the same angle.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2012, 20:03:34 »

Oh and the connectors are 'Fakra' style and you would need something like this to convert it:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-BMW-Ford-VW-Vauxhall-Fakra-Aerial-Adaptor-Female-Fakra-Female-DIN-/250914907576?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3a6bb1a5b8

However that isn't amplified so you will find the reception is significantly worse.

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2012, 20:14:49 »

Interesting, thanks for the tip. However I am a bit confused about the concept of an 'amplified' aerial. The shark fin I am looking at is an amplified aerial, with a standard male DIN plug and a 12v wire. Am I right in thinking that the amplification electronics are in the base, powered by the 12v feed? In which case if I used the adaptor you have shown would not still not get an amplified signal?  I had come across the 'FAKRA' connectors whilst googling this problem but couldn't be sure that this was the right female connector for the plug on the cable. It did ocurr to me that after all this faffing about the signal would probably turn out to be rubbish! :-\

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2012, 20:29:31 »

Interesting, thanks for the tip. However I am a bit confused about the concept of an 'amplified' aerial. The shark fin I am looking at is an amplified aerial, with a standard male DIN plug and a 12v wire. Am I right in thinking that the amplification electronics are in the base, powered by the 12v feed? In which case if I used the adaptor you have shown would not still not get an amplified signal?  I had come across the 'FAKRA' connectors whilst googling this problem but couldn't be sure that this was the right female connector for the plug on the cable. It did ocurr to me that after all this faffing about the signal would probably turn out to be rubbish! :-\
:y
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.