Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: gas queery  (Read 1839 times)

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
gas queery
« on: 18 January 2012, 13:15:50 »

I want to take the gas cooker bayonet connector out the wall and cap it off so i can get my electric cooker right back to the wall. should i use ptf tape or plumbers putty or that hessian  cloth?

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: gas queery
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2012, 13:40:33 »

I want to take the gas cooker bayonet connector out the wall and cap it off so i can get my electric cooker right back to the wall. should i use ptf tape or plumbers putty or that hessian  cloth?
For gas
http://www.tools4trade.com/d-98512001-PTFE-Tape-12-mm-x-5-m-Gas-Spec.aspx
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2012, 13:45:23 »

For gas

I've never seen the advantage of gas specific PTFE  :-\ AFAIK it's the same as any other roll but a little thicker. I'd just put another couple of turns of 'normal' PTFE  :-\ :-\ :-\

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2012, 13:47:09 »

For gas

sorted. stuffed some rag in the hole and wrapped duct tape round it  :y

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2012, 13:53:26 »

For gas

Don't forget to run a lit match or lighter around it just to make sure its not leaking ::) ;D
Retired

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2012, 13:54:38 »

For gas

Should have got Tunnie to do it then ;D
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2012, 14:02:00 »

My neighbour has gone and got me some tape from screwfix. its only half a mile from me. can't get the bloody thing off its so tight and not much room for leverage.
Thanks  :y

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2012, 19:27:21 »

For gas

Don't forget to run a lit match or lighter around it just to make sure its not leaking ::) ;D

yeah you will only go bang once. :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2012, 22:34:59 »

??? Don't think you're supposed to touch it at all mate,could be on very iffy ground( or rubble ! ) if it goes t**s up  :o

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2012, 03:07:38 »

??? Don't think you're supposed to touch it at all mate,could be on very iffy ground( or rubble ! ) if it goes t**s up  :o
True.......^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Read the law.
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2012, 09:25:43 »

IIRC (as it's come up here many times in the past) - you're legally entitled to work on your own gas fittings, but not legally entitled to work on gas fittings 'for reward' unless you're GasSafe registered.

So I think Rich is quite free to blow himself up..

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2012, 10:05:47 »

IIRC (as it's come up here many times in the past) - you're legally entitled to work on your own gas fittings, but not legally entitled to work on gas fittings 'for reward' unless you're GasSafe registered.

no if he dose somthing that can damage another person or propety it is aganst the law, law was changed when the block of flats in london blown up by faulty gas pipe fittings that the owner fitted and killed them self and 13 others. as putting a stop valve or blocking top on apipe it has to be safty tested, when move house an enginer came out and fitted it to gas line. came round as said to them that was  leving property, same other way round putting a gas line to cooker.
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2012, 10:12:42 »

I would buy myself a cheap manometer and drop test the installation afterwards, just to show "competence". At the end of the day, though, removal of a single fitting is not likely to be noticed. It's not like you're installing a whole boiler.

Then again, in a shared dwelling the potential liabilities are higher should something go wrong. It's not just going to be your life /  pile of bricks and mortar if the worst happens.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2012, 11:23:56 »

no if he dose somthing that can damage another person or propety it is aganst the law, law was changed when the block of flats in london blown up by faulty gas pipe fittings that the owner fitted and killed them self and 13 others. as putting a stop valve or blocking top on apipe it has to be safty tested, when move house an enginer came out and fitted it to gas line. came round as said to them that was  leving property, same other way round putting a gas line to cooker.

Actulay not the case but, the person doing the work must be able to demonstrate that the installation is safe so a drop test would be needed (not hard and this is in indicator of compitency).

This is where the likes of Gas Safe come in as they effectively run a club where by they maintain a list of compitent people and underwrite chargeable work.

Sadly its pretty meaningless as the checks are few and far between and a lot of the installs dont meet code or regs anyway!

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 January 2012, 11:38:57 »

Had to use a Gas Safe fitter to make the final connection after I installed my own boiler last year (needed a cert. to get the Magic Boiler rebate).
He passed the system as safe even though a leak-down check had pressure falling to zero after 15mins. "Thats fine mate, they all leak a little bit. £90 please".

I investigated the fault myself and found a corroded pipe burried directly in a concrete floor. System now holds pressure for hours. did I get him back to  retest it? No.

Do the job yourself but do it properly and check it afterwards. If you have any doubt about your ability or level of knowledge then get someone in.
Also ask to see their Gas Safe ID card...there are a lot of fitters signing work off on a mates Reg. number. Unlike Corgi, all gas fitters have to have their own ID now to certify work.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.