Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nokia Belle OS out tomorrow, here we go again.  (Read 2116 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Nokia Belle OS out tomorrow, here we go again.
« Reply #15 on: 08 February 2012, 18:04:14 »

iOS is out of your using microsoft office type stuff, I would have thought?

Never owned a iPhone Chris but everyone I know who has one says using MS Apps are a bit touch and go, thats not say I cant be swung over.

tgm147

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • '02 2.2 Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 February 2012, 10:46:48 »

Also updated my Nokia X7 to Symbian Belle yesterday and I must say I'm very impressed. The phone seems much more responsive than it used to. It feels almost Androidish in the way it works now. Really rather like it!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 February 2012, 13:42:37 »

Symbian, in its day, was a decent OS. Still is, to be honest.

It fell over because it was a general (ish) purpose OS, and never really had a front end/UI. That kept a lot of manaufacturers away from making consumer devices for it, leaving pretty much only Nokia.  Nokia had, Sony style, been resting on its laurels for so long, it took its eye off the ball, and wasted too much time and effort coming up with idealistic replacements, where as what it needed was a better UI on Symbian. Then the in-fighting started, then it all went wrong.

The likes of the N95 was well behind the competition for smartphones upon its launch, and only sold well because, again Sony style, some would only consider Nokia. Gay.  The N95 wasn't a bad phone, most of what it cleaned to do, it did OK, some it did well. But it was clunky to use, non intuitive to non Symbian users, and was a bit buggy early on.  Around the same time, I used a Windows 2003 phone, and it was a breath of fresh air in comparison (but not without its own fundamental flaws). Windows improved, Symbian stagnated, then along came Apple, which was a rule changer.

Where are we now?

Symbian is a has-been
HP/Palm came and went, nobody wants webOS
Gooseberry looks to be a thing of the past, rightly so, they haven't kept pace, and now their prime market is dumping them fast
MS are toying with dumping WinCE (good!!) and moving to an NT based kernel, probably the Windows 8 one
Apple are still probably leading innovation around user interface, and you have to admire the stability
Google are selling more than all the others put together, much to MS's delight $, but seemingly always playing catch-up to imitate Apple

What do I use now? I've been using my current iPhone for about 2yrs, no plans to change it.  Ironically, it still talks to Microsoft's email system far better than Windows phones I've tried :o

What would I buy if I broke mine tomorrow?  Hmmm, not much choice for my needs. Android doesn't have a good email client for anything, and email is critical to me, so would probably currently be another gayPhone. Which saddens me.
Grumpy old man

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 February 2012, 21:14:35 »

I hav'nt got the first idea what you are all talking about. I'm a year overdue for a free upgrade & still using my Nokia 6301. Touchscreen phones scare me. I would'nt know where to start. I don't want to go on line with a phone, too small & fiddly...(i don't even like my lappie, that's too small!!!) I posted on here ages ago with a list of free handsets i could have but still hav'nt got a new one!!!!!! ::)
Curry makes the world go round!

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 February 2012, 14:06:03 »

If anybody has downloaded Belle, a nice app I can recommend to add on to it is Nokia Car Mode, needs to be downloaded separately (Free). Has 3 simple functions in one app, Phone, Sat Nav and Music, all with big clean buttons for simple touch use whilst on the move.

Its also works as Mirrorlink, a protocol that mirrors your Car Mode App on a compatible HU, not that were going see many of them for a while yet.     

tgm147

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • '02 2.2 Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 February 2012, 18:16:30 »

If anybody has downloaded Belle, a nice app I can recommend to add on to it is Nokia Car Mode, needs to be downloaded separately (Free). Has 3 simple functions in one app, Phone, Sat Nav and Music, all with big clean buttons for simple touch use whilst on the move.

Its also works as Mirrorlink, a protocol that mirrors your Car Mode App on a compatible HU, not that were going see many of them for a while yet.   

Nice one, just downloaded that. I use my phone for music in the car and leave it by the gear stick under the ash tray.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 February 2012, 18:21:38 »

Belle upgrade for Orange supplied phones is not yet available
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

tgm147

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • '02 2.2 Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 February 2012, 18:30:51 »

Question from the floor. I've got a Nokia X7 and at the top of the screen next to the battery gauge and signal, there's a 1 slap bang in the middle of the bar. I can't find out what it is, Googled for it, tried to click on it and everything but its just there. Doesn't do anything. Nothing in the outbox waiting to go or inbox or anything. Stumped! Any ideas guys?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 February 2012, 21:08:28 »

Its a Globle update, so cant see any reason why it wouldn't work on a Orange mobile.

Do you use Nokia Ovi, which is not called Ovi any more, if not download to your PC then update it, over 300 mb, conect phone and it will guide you though the Belle update.

Needs to be done on the PC, failing that search for a seperate download called Nokia updater and again update that to the lastest version, seem to remember that will only work through a wifi connection.

Chris.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 February 2012, 21:14:36 »

Question from the floor. I've got a Nokia X7 and at the top of the screen next to the battery gauge and signal, there's a 1 slap bang in the middle of the bar. I can't find out what it is, Googled for it, tried to click on it and everything but its just there. Doesn't do anything. Nothing in the outbox waiting to go or inbox or anything. Stumped! Any ideas guys?

What OS are you running, Anna, Belle, or is it one of those Win 7 Mob?

If its Anna or Belle, could be Bluetooth toggle, looks like a squashed up Bluetooth symble that could be mistaken for a 1 or I.  :)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 February 2012, 22:05:15 »

Its a Globle update, so cant see any reason why it wouldn't work on a Orange mobile.

Do you use Nokia Ovi, which is not called Ovi any more, if not download to your PC then update it, over 300 mb, conect phone and it will guide you though the Belle update.

Needs to be done on the PC, failing that search for a seperate download called Nokia updater and again update that to the lastest version, seem to remember that will only work through a wifi connection.

Chris.

I am up to date with Nokia Suite etc but at least for the N8s On orange the Belle upgrade software is still to be done as stated on Nokia site. I can wait.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 February 2012, 22:06:19 »

maybe a picture would be good  if the earlier reply did not help you

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 February 2012, 22:28:41 »

Nice one, just downloaded that. I use my phone for music in the car and leave it by the gear stick under the ash tray.

Agreed, its a nice and precise clear App, best part is it does't fall asleep on you, so no more picking the phone up to unlock it. :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.