Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: If you had £495 for a cheap car......  (Read 2535 times)

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
If you had £495 for a cheap car......
« on: 16 February 2012, 22:37:17 »

& bought this you deserve to be taken out the back & shot...probably tortured & beaten first to prolong the agony as you'd bloody well deserve it. This is'nt & never will be a classic & is'nt worth half the asking price with a years ticket. Saggy hydrolastics, rotten to the core (they were from new). I know £495 does'nt buy much nowadays but this is'nt worth it's listing fee. FANTASY ISLAND!!!!!! ::)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-AUSTIN-METRO-CITY-X-GREY-NO-MOT-TAX-/120860783514?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c23dd339a
Curry makes the world go round!

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
Re: If you had £495 for a cheap car......
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2012, 22:42:30 »

Not got a lot going for it, as Guy says, not worth half, but there are some nice ones out there that would make a nice cheap car for a youngster... :)

This one however...... :o :o :o

1988 E REG AUSTIN METRO 998CC

IDEAL PROJECT

1 OWNER FROM NEW

24K MILES

NO MOT

NO TAX

NO LOGBOOK

BEEN STOOD FOR LAST 12 YEARS

ENGINE DOES RUN HOWEVER WOULD OBVIOUSLY BENEFIT FROM A GOOD SERVICE

CLUTCH SEIZED AND UNABLE TO SELECT ANY GEARS

Run, do not walk away..... :-X :-X :-X

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2012, 22:45:29 »

If I was feeling generous I'd give him the cash in my pocket ::) ::) ::) About £3.12 :D :D

Having owned 2 Metro's and driven/part owned many, many more (probably 30+ ::)) the only one I would ever consider buying again would be a MG Turbo ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2012, 22:58:16 »

If the clutch won't free off with a good tow up the road & trying to engage a gear then it's the whole unit swap. These are a nightmare to split as i remember from my mini days.

If i only had a monkey in my bin i'd be better off with this:-
   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-VAUXHALL-CAVALIER-L-RED-/260955654286?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cc22b488e
   Much better spent i reckon!! 8)
Curry makes the world go round!

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2012, 23:12:47 »

If the clutch won't free off with a good tow up the road & trying to engage a gear then it's the whole unit swap. These are a nightmare to split as i remember from my mini days.

If i only had a monkey in my bin i'd be better off with this:-
   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-VAUXHALL-CAVALIER-L-RED-/260955654286?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cc22b488e
   Much better spent i reckon!! 8)

I had a new 1.6 estate, in 1984 - company car, remembered fondly..... :y :y

aaronjb

« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2012, 23:16:39 »

I only got £50 more than the Metro for my 300ZX with private plate, 8 months MOT, and a grands worth (at least) of upgraded parts on it.  :-\

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2012, 00:03:45 »

I never thought I'd see another one of these in one piece again  :P
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2012, 08:18:36 »

come on then lets all join the que to knock the  british cars.
yes it might be a little on the high side with the price and from the look of it he hasnt mentioned that the suspension has sunk.if it has been stood for so long no wonder the clutch has stuck but by jacking it up and useing the brakes iam sure it would come off.
its low miles and rare[when did you last see one]
i think it would make a nice  project as they are simple cars.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2012, 08:33:06 »

British cars of that era had a right to be knocked .......... they were mostly crap!  ::) ::)

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2012, 08:46:19 »

British cars of that era had a right to be knocked .......... they were mostly crap!  ::) ::)

I suppose some people would argue that's 'our' (England's) problem - unlike some other countries who will "BUY <country>!" regardless of whether it's the best quality, best price or best executed idea purely because they want to support national business, we buy based on price (mostly) or quality & execution (sometimes) .. so we buy everyone else's crap but not our own.

I don't subscribe to that, personally, but..

OOMV6

« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2012, 08:58:44 »

I suppose some people would argue that's 'our' (England's) problem - unlike some other countries who will "BUY <country>!" regardless of whether it's the best quality, best price or best executed idea purely because they want to support national business, we buy based on price (mostly) or quality & execution (sometimes) .. so we buy everyone else's crap but not our own.

Don't agree entirely with that.
BL in case in point. In fact the BL story is often used in Management training courses to illustrate how NOT to do things. A combination of poor management and very poor quality control meant some British cars that could have been great ... weren't. Rover SD1 for example.
Whilst British cars fell apart, gave up before 100,000 miles, cars from many other countries were still plodding on. At the end of the day, why would anybody "BUY <country>!" when you can do better elsewhere.

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2012, 09:00:59 »

BL in case in point. In fact the BL story is often used in Management training courses to illustrate how NOT to do things. A combination of poor management and very poor quality control meant some British cars that could have been great ... weren't. Rover SD1 for example.
Whilst British cars fell apart, gave up before 100,000 miles, cars from many other countries were still plodding on. At the end of the day, why would anybody "BUY <country>!" when you can do better elsewhere.

As I said - some people, in other countries, would do just that out of a sense of national pride and a desire to support their own countries businesses above all else..

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2012, 09:05:52 »

Clarkson did a programme once about what went wrong at BL, and the conclusion was pretty much what you say, poor management. BL didn't help themselves though when their own cars were competing against each other in the showroom.

aaronjb

« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2012, 09:11:16 »

Incidentally I'm not doubting that a large proportion of all BL cars were pure, unadulterated shite with free rust installed at the factory - I've owned enough, after all ;D (and my parents have owned even more!)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 February 2012, 09:48:23 »

Mrs TB's first car was a B reg Metro VP.  It was surprisingly comfy for such a shitbox, although steering wheel needed an adjustment, as it was too high. I think the VP had the MG engine, so tuned a bit better than normal.  Went OK, though only good for about 95, but cornered on rails (for what it was)*, brilliant fun around town.

* Bearing in mind my car at the time was a MkII Astra GTE, which was as frightened of corners as the poor sod hanging on to the steering wheel.

There was a lot to really hate about it, but I used to enjoy driving it locally. On the open road, its lack of power was annoying.  Obviously, it slowly blew away, and in the end, we sold it to a mechanic mate who desperately needed the interior (which was in really good condition).
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 17 queries.