Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1. Coolant level.... 2. Multimeter.... advice please.  (Read 1143 times)

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
1. Coolant level.... 2. Multimeter.... advice please.
« on: 18 February 2012, 21:05:56 »

Any help & advice on the following would be much appreciated.

1. I have replaced the coolant reservoir/expansion tank because the "coolant level low" warning was on my dashboard display & I thought maybe it was the sensor in the reservoir. I also have a drain on the battery which was removed for charging & put back. Now on the dashboard it just says "coolant level" so I'm assuming it hasnt worked - what should I try next?
2. The drain on the battery needs to be investigated (I have already disconnected the notorious battery sounder). This is a new subject area for me, I need to purchase a multimeter & having looked on line, jeeps, I'm uncertain what to go for - there is such a huge choice & price spectrum. Any advice please? Thanks.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: 1. Coolant level.... 2. Multimeter.... advice please.
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2012, 21:17:27 »

Any help & advice on the following would be much appreciated.

1. I have replaced the coolant reservoir/expansion tank because the "coolant level low" warning was on my dashboard display & I thought maybe it was the sensor in the reservoir. I also have a drain on the battery which was removed for charging & put back. Now on the dashboard it just says "coolant level" so I'm assuming it hasnt worked - what should I try next?
Was your replacement new or 'new-to-you'? Shorting the plug to the bottle should be enough to keep the check happy, if it doesn't possibly there's a wiring problem .....  :-\

2. The drain on the battery needs to be investigated (I have already disconnected the notorious battery sounder). This is a new subject area for me, I need to purchase a multimeter & having looked on line, jeeps, I'm uncertain what to go for - there is such a huge choice & price spectrum. Any advice please? Thanks.
Depends what you want of your multimeter. If you just want to know if you have 12 volts to a circuit or continuity every now & then, a cheap-ish £30-ish meter from Machine Mart will be enough. If you're a proper spark using it every day then you'll want to spend a few hundred quid on a Fluke.  ;)

You can spend less than a tenner on a meter from Maplins but I'd personally want to spend a little more.  :y :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2012, 21:49:16 »

1. Not un common for Garages to short out the connector with a paper clip, clips rusts and give an open circiut / low coolant warbing,did you plug the connector in under neath or  was it hidden.

2. As said, Fluke every time for me, pick up an old 77 or simular of ebay, will last a life time.

Chris. :y

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2012, 21:49:33 »

Thanks for the reply.
The replacement was brand new from Vauxhall. ( I thought it safer than secondhand although my wallet is sulking!)
When you say "shorting the plug", sorry but what does that mean?

Primarily I want to use the multimeter to learn about the car electrics - to be able to trace faults & such like. Your suggestion to go to Machinemart seems most appropriate. Ive seen the cost of the "Fluke" ones on-line, they're probably more sophisticated than I need.
I've never previously owned a car with these type of electrical concerns so this is a learning curve.

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2012, 21:53:53 »

Oh ok, I understand shorting - thanks. I plugged the connector in underneath the expansion tank - are you saying maybe its not connected cleanly?

An old 77 Fluke?....ok I will have a look, thanks.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2012, 21:56:18 »

It means they remove the connector off the faulty header tank, stuff a paper clip in the connector to get rid of the low coolant warning.

Rather than change the header tank.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.