Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Improving General Chat  (Read 8243 times)

feeutfo

Re: Improving General Chat
« Reply #15 on: 27 February 2012, 21:07:28 »

I would like to take this opportunity to ask Daz, to Marry me?

I am now on one knee.

Daz, will you marry me?

Seems the way forward tbh. ;D

Jammie!  Your efforts to turn him worked!  Although not maybe the way you were hoping.....chin up!  Plenty more meat out there for you big boy  ;D ;D ;D
Christ knows what he's smoking. Maybe Mrs CG has hurt him for constantly driving her car.

Anyway, men in uniform, well.....
Nurses uniform for you, Doctors uniform for me. Now, cough cough. :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 February 2012, 21:07:51 »

Imo it cant be improved by design.It is what it is because the people posting make it what it is.It used to be something different,but that was due partially to different people posting then,and maybe partially due to people who are still here getting used to one another,becoming a bit jaded,blase ?
Istr there have been a few attempts in the past to rejuvinate it,bring back the fun, but it didnt work.It would have to happen naturally for it to work imo.
Is that a case of the rules are too strict? Or have, in an attempt to cure the swamping we used to get last year with political and joke threads, we have discouraged people from freely chatting?

Jaimie, really don't think it's anything to do with an ''OOF problem''. Unfortunately free speech in general isn't really free speech. Not OOF's fault.... just these days if it aint good clean fun it's not tolerated unless you're with like minded people in private... oof isn't private though so good clean fun it is!

imo.
 :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 February 2012, 21:09:26 »

i dont actually think theres a problem Love the forum, on here nearly every night alas no mechanic so really only post in general car chat or general chat .

only been on probably 8 months so cant obviously speak about how it previously was but as i can see it you will never please all of the people all of the time and the more people you try to please the harder the admins job becomes

why fix something when its not broken

general chat always goes up and down some nights i say nothing other times i say too much

but general chat is the subject that will either offend or make you roar with laughter why try splitting it up when the forum is really about omegas and cars

if we dont like a subject or get offended by it we dont have to read it or respond to it

all in all i find the site very ammusing and at the same time interesting but above all helpfull , found very few moments to get offended you read into something what you want to

albitz

« Reply #18 on: 27 February 2012, 21:11:18 »

Imo it cant be improved by design.It is what it is because the people posting make it what it is.It used to be something different,but that was due partially to different people posting then,and maybe partially due to people who are still here getting used to one another,becoming a bit jaded,blase ?
Istr there have been a few attempts in the past to rejuvinate it,bring back the fun, but it didnt work.It would have to happen naturally for it to work imo.
Is that a case of the rules are too strict? Or have, in an attempt to cure the swamping we used to get last year with political and joke threads, we have discouraged people from freely chatting?
I dont think its anything to do with the rules being too strict. Fact is, a few years ago they didnt need to be,most people understood where to draw the line without rules etc. OOF got bigger I suppose and that probably changed it.
Im sure most of us old timers would love to turn the clock back4 or 5 years to when it was utter hilarity on here almost every night,but it cant be one.It was new and fresh to everyone.And everyone was new and fresh to everyone else, but that cant last forever I suppose,its just human nature that things settle into a bit of a routine after a while,just like the difference between newlyweds and an old married couple. I may be completely wrong,but thats the conclusion Ive come to. :-\
« Last Edit: 27 February 2012, 21:16:10 by Albs »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 February 2012, 21:12:47 »

As I've said already, it seems to me to be the usual lull at this time of year :-\

I'm sure it'll perk up soon with the weather :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 February 2012, 21:14:14 »

I dont think its anything to do with the rules being too strict. Fact is, a few years ago they didnt need to be,most people understood where to draw the line without rules etc. OOF got bigger I suppose and that probably changed it.

+1  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 February 2012, 21:14:50 »

As I've said already, it seems to me to be the usual lull at this time of year :-\

I'm sure it'll perk up soon with the weather :y :y
I actually agree with that.  As Ljay also elluded to on the other thread, before it all went Pete Tong, its an annual thing that happens during the Post Christmas blues.
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 February 2012, 21:17:57 »

How about positive things?

Being relatively new here, I have glanced around the forum, and geez, there is a serious amount of moaning. Ain't gonna harp on about it, but it does get a little tedious.

How about the good things that happened this week, holiday plans, how you'd love to go on safari in Kenya as a mate just came back and told you how great it was, the heating worked all winter faultlessly, the cam cover does NOT leak, the handbrake is GOOD, had a good day at work, got a great bargain today, beat my previous mpg record, on and on and on.
You get the drift. Yeah, had a good days drifting, for eg
Whilst some of those may be better discussed in Car Chat, I like the idea. A good varied discussion.

When OOF started, because the value of Omegas was higher, many members did them up as project cars. Was always good to read the progress.  We still have one or 2 talking about Omega engines in kit cars etc, always a worthwhile read, but due to the value of Omegas, this isn't the norm.

I don't think it's just to do with the values of the Omegas. I think it's to do with the increased knowledge of members.

Example - this weekend I've had a nice 53 plate 3.2 Elite Estate on my drive, on which I've been changing a failed oil cooler, replacing the camcover gaskets, thermostat, link pipe, cambelt kit, water pump, aux belt, coolant bridge seals, full service, etc etc...

A while ago, people would have considered it an interesting read, but now, not many members would really care - they've seen it enough times before.

Most established members know how to do an oil cooler, a cambelt kit, camcover gaskets.... so not many will really be interested, because, whereby it used to be considered quite involved and interesting, it's now just something that's par for the course - bread and butter jobs, and consequently is of less interest, to most members.

I remember the last time I posted up that a member and I had done some suspension/brake work on my car, the first real comments on the thread were asking me why I needed moral support (with suspension work) when I advertise that I work on other peoples cars (engines only).

It made me think the whole positive 'OOF spirit' of posting such things about members getting together, having a good time and getting results was dead, with people instead preferring to simply pick holes. As such, I don't bother anymore. (for the record, I am genuinely only using this thread as one example I can remember - there are several others I have also seen regarding other members, who have been pulled apart for 'daring' to do something different, or something 'OOF' doesn't recommend).

I took a load of pictures of the work on this project so far, I was going to post them up... but the above two points made me think I can't be bothered... and hence I haven't wasted my time :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 February 2012, 21:18:11 »

Agreed.  A couple of weeks and it will be meets time again and old(er) faces get to meet more new(er) faces and all can get a better idea of the humour that the typed word cant always get across....   :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 February 2012, 21:20:13 »

speaking of old faces - good to see you back online again Doug (Timbuk)   :y

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 February 2012, 21:21:28 »

Agreed.  A couple of weeks and it will be meets time again and old(er) faces get to meet more new(er) faces and all can get a better idea of the humour that the typed word cant always get across....   :y

very much so :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 February 2012, 21:25:08 »

Example - this weekend I've had a nice 53 plate 3.2 Elite Estate on my drive, on which I've been changing a failed oil cooler, replacing the camcover gaskets, thermostat, link pipe, cambelt kit, water pump, aux belt, coolant bridge seals, full service, etc etc...

A while ago, people would have considered it an interesting read, but now, not many members would really care - they've seen it enough times before.

Most established members know how to do an oil cooler, a cambelt kit, camcover gaskets.... so not many will really be interested, because, whereby it used to be considered quite involved and interesting, it's now just something that's par for the course - bread and butter jobs, and consequently is of less interest, to most members.
I disagree. If people aren't interested, they can skip it.  Remember, we have many new members as well, and by saying what you've done, even showing pics of work in progress, may encourage those new members to 'have a go' themselves.
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 February 2012, 21:27:09 »

I disagree. If people aren't interested, they can skip it.  Remember, we have many new members as well, and by saying what you've done, even showing pics of work in progress, may encourage those new members to 'have a go' themselves.

If you genuinely believe that, then I will post up :y

Desperately need an alternative to photobucket though. It really is pants...  ::)

Martian

« Reply #28 on: 27 February 2012, 21:30:26 »

So, any ideas?
Nobody wants to argue after a toke, and if that don't work then kill 'em all and let god sort it out  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 February 2012, 21:32:41 »

Nobody wants to argue after a toke
I used to know someone who got aggressive after a puff of shit. Funny as heck, as when he started with a stranger in the pub, he wasn't quick enough to duck ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.