Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Improving General Chat  (Read 8246 times)

Martian

Re: Improving General Chat
« Reply #30 on: 27 February 2012, 21:39:55 »

Nobody wants to argue after a toke
I used to know someone who got aggressive after a puff of shit. Funny as heck, as when he started with a stranger in the pub, he wasn't quick enough to duck ;D
I read the first bit and was going to say it is very rare indeed for a pothead to get leary, then I carried on and saw mention of booze as well which would explain any aggression if it were displayed.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #31 on: 27 February 2012, 21:40:10 »

As I've said already, it seems to me to be the usual lull at this time of year :-\

I'm sure it'll perk up soon with the weather :y :y
I actually agree with that.  As Ljay also elluded to on the other thread, before it all went Pete Tong, its an annual thing that happens during the Post Christmas blues.

I remember last year , there were big debates for no apparent reason.. ;D

OOMV6

« Reply #32 on: 27 February 2012, 21:40:50 »

Example - this weekend I've had a nice 53 plate 3.2 Elite Estate on my drive, on which I've been changing a failed oil cooler, replacing the camcover gaskets, thermostat, link pipe, cambelt kit, water pump, aux belt, coolant bridge seals, full service, etc etc...

A while ago, people would have considered it an interesting read, but now, not many members would really care - they've seen it enough times before.

Most established members know how to do an oil cooler, a cambelt kit, camcover gaskets.... so not many will really be interested, because, whereby it used to be considered quite involved and interesting, it's now just something that's par for the course - bread and butter jobs, and consequently is of less interest, to most members.
I disagree. If people aren't interested, they can skip it.  Remember, we have many new members as well, and by saying what you've done, even showing pics of work in progress, may encourage those new members to 'have a go' themselves.

Agreed  :y

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 February 2012, 21:41:27 »

Nobody wants to argue after a toke
I used to know someone who got aggressive after a puff of shit. Funny as heck, as when he started with a stranger in the pub, he wasn't quick enough to duck ;D
;D

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 February 2012, 21:56:02 »

Example - this weekend I've had a nice 53 plate 3.2 Elite Estate on my drive, on which I've been changing a failed oil cooler, replacing the camcover gaskets, thermostat, link pipe, cambelt kit, water pump, aux belt, coolant bridge seals, full service, etc etc...

A while ago, people would have considered it an interesting read, but now, not many members would really care - they've seen it enough times before.

Most established members know how to do an oil cooler, a cambelt kit, camcover gaskets.... so not many will really be interested, because, whereby it used to be considered quite involved and interesting, it's now just something that's par for the course - bread and butter jobs, and consequently is of less interest, to most members.
I disagree. If people aren't interested, they can skip it.  Remember, we have many new members as well, and by saying what you've done, even showing pics of work in progress, may encourage those new members to 'have a go' themselves.

If you genuinely believe that, then I will post up :y

Desperately need an alternative to photobucket though. It really is pants...  ::)
Dropbox, much easier but you need to be tech savvy enough to resize the pics yourself.(as I'm sure you are)
Join with my link and we both get an extra 250 mb of free space.
http://db.tt/4C6JF7QE
« Last Edit: 27 February 2012, 21:58:52 by CaptainZok »
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #35 on: 27 February 2012, 22:05:06 »

there is no reasonable way to implement a rule that makes people let things slide....     and really THAT is what's needed.

essentially, people wanting to have the last word is what makes forum "incidents" blow up out of all proportion... 

it happens,   there's little we can ever do about it, other than maybe gently  hold the mirror of ridicule up to those involved a little....

sadly, even this is fraught with the potential to cause more fracas.

I've elsewhere been through all sorts of permutations of "no politics, no religion, no sex,  no blah"  ,  and even got to the point of removing the off topic section altogether....   (and although meant for a few weeks, ended up being several years, after the management could not agree how to implement one that would not fall foul of the same thing. )

activity levels, are seasonal , and cyclic,  although with any forum based on the need to learn things,   and a finite number of people needing that aspect, there will eventually be a saturation point,   we're probably approaching it here, especially as the number of miggys still on the road  begins to dwindle... 

that implies , an eventual "heat death" scenario...   and as the long term prognosis , this is almost inevitable .

however,  while we as a community continue to interact, the forum will remain a viable entity... 

I don't think you need to fix the forum Jaime.   it works as it is.....  , although i'm of the opinion that politics is a fair game ,  especially in the current socioeconomic situation....     
 just within fairly sensible "guidelines"   and some kind of three strike thread locking rule.....   

it would be nice if there was some kind of consistent self moderation of people's sense of humour.... 

rules like....  "if you wouldn't say or show this to your wife,  or in front of your kids,   probably best leave it out here as well"  leave room for plenty of maneuver,  and interpretation.....    but give the idea of some decorum being required....

but, require someone to pony up and enforce them,  and i'm very grateful to the entire team here that they do so even handedly, and with some levity...   the whole post count modification thing, for example,  i thought was great.....    for those of us watching perhaps more than those of us getting slammed....   but that's just me....

consider this place a pub,   one should be able to have  a laugh with one's mates.....   but within limits.....   

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #36 on: 27 February 2012, 22:31:18 »

i dont actually think theres a problem Love the forum, on here nearly every night alas no mechanic so really only post in general car chat or general chat .

only been on probably 8 months so cant obviously speak about how it previously was but as i can see it you will never please all of the people all of the time and the more people you try to please the harder the admins job becomes

why fix something when its not broken

general chat always goes up and down some nights i say nothing other times i say too much

but general chat is the subject that will either offend or make you roar with laughter why try splitting it up when the forum is really about omegas and cars

if we dont like a subject or get offended by it we dont have to read it or respond to it

all in all i find the site very ammusing and at the same time interesting but above all helpfull , found very few moments to get offended you read into something what you want to

+1 my thoughts as well
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #37 on: 27 February 2012, 22:39:07 »

I don't think it's just to do with the values of the Omegas. I think it's to do with the increased knowledge of members.

I remember the last time I posted up that a member and I had done some suspension/brake work on my car, the first real comments on the thread were asking me why I needed moral support (with suspension work) when I advertise that I work on other peoples cars (engines only).

It made me think the whole positive 'OOF spirit' of posting such things about members getting together, having a good time and getting results was dead, with people instead preferring to simply pick holes. As such, I don't bother anymore. (for the record, I am genuinely only using this thread as one example I can remember - there are several others I have also seen regarding other members, who have been pulled apart for 'daring' to do something different, or something 'OOF' doesn't recommend).

I took a load of pictures of the work on this project so far, I was going to post them up... but the above two points made me think I can't be bothered... and hence I haven't wasted my time :y

Sorry James have to disagree - I for one would like to see this and I am sure some of the new and less experienced members would also

Remember a thread a couple of weeks ago about head gaskets being done read and looked with interest and bookmarked.

Please keep any good info and pictures coming for us less experienced - ta

By the way GenDiss is not broke and dont need fixing Simpl's  ;)

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #38 on: 27 February 2012, 22:40:51 »

Just had another thought TB - how about a poll at the top of this thread ?

mantahatch

« Reply #39 on: 27 February 2012, 22:44:29 »

Removed by me
« Last Edit: 27 February 2012, 22:52:27 by Mantahatch »

albitz

« Reply #40 on: 27 February 2012, 23:09:37 »

Ditto.I had such thread running recently about the work I was doing to a car after oil cooler failure. I recieved quite a few comments from (mostly) newish members saying they had really enjoyed following the progress of it.

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 February 2012, 23:18:13 »

I enjoy reading threads that show what people are doing with their cars, we are mainly a car forum as I see it  :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 February 2012, 23:24:57 »

ditto as a non mechanic great to see what people are doing even better when its a project imho seeing it before during and after :y :y

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27 February 2012, 23:27:25 »

I enjoy reading threads that show what people are doing with their cars, we are mainly a car forum as I see it  :y

Me too, and the more involved/complicated the better  :y
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

feeutfo

« Reply #44 on: 28 February 2012, 01:04:13 »

Is that a "No" ? ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.