Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Improving General Chat  (Read 8250 times)

Johnny English

• Omega Baron
  • Hungary
  • English antitalent
    • 1995. 2.5 V6 LPG manual
    • View Profile
Re: Improving General Chat
« Reply #75 on: 28 February 2012, 16:29:59 »

I enjoy reading threads that show what people are doing with their cars, we are mainly a car forum as I see it  :y

terribly sorry old boy, I am a little tired....

It seems you need some Beauty Sleep ;D
just following the example our wonderful unfunny court jester mod set! ;-)

Actually I've bored myself now!  After some good advice I've decided there's no point arguing with an idiot, he'll only draw me down to his level and beat me with experience! ;D ;D

Go Daz, knock yourself out, I understand you can't help it! :y :y ;D ;D

Not even going there on the beauty sleep, it's pot calling kettle and there's no need for personal insults just to save face! :y ;D

Note use of smilies

Haha LJay you remember me to my honey who has as big mouth as yours... ;D ;D ;D ;D  :y :y :y :y

All the better for...... ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   :y :y :y :y
C20NE - X25XE

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 28 February 2012, 20:28:37 »

im not allowed to comment on this thread >:(

STMO123

« Reply #77 on: 28 February 2012, 20:31:04 »

im not allowed to comment on this thread >:(

I'd be very interested in your opinions, Daz. Please share.

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 28 February 2012, 20:34:27 »

not allowed,jimbob keeps deleting my post and then sending me pm,s saying hes gonna spank my bum

STMO123

« Reply #79 on: 28 February 2012, 20:35:15 »

not allowed,jimbob keeps deleting my post and then sending me pm,s saying hes gonna spank my bum

He's all wind and piss mate. Post it up. ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 28 February 2012, 20:38:16 »

Before this weeks stupidity I actually thought OOF had "grown up" and was a nicer place to be, there was "less" agro and pointless posts.. and an awful lot less "ego masaging" but it looks like that is all returning.

Personally, what some folks seem to think is "banter" is actually just plain rudeness, after 38 years in the military I KNOW what banter is .. and a "masked swear word off" is not banter in any way, shape, or form.

One of the reasons, quite simply, that OOF will never return to what it was 5 years ago, is the price of the cars.

Now this will probably offend someone, but it is my view.

When the cars were £8000 (as mine when I bought it 4 years ago) there was never any discussion about "chaving them up", or scrapping because a cam sensor had gone.... the members did everything to keep the cars on the road, and - to be perfectly honest - the members were of a "type" that, whilst not throwing money away, never did things "on the cheap".

It is now almost cheaper to buy one than to do a full service, brakes and a set of tyres... so a different "type" of person is buying them,  joining the forum, and taking part in Gen Dis....  a KOS (military term) like me will never have the same viewpoint as a 20 year old .... in politics, interests, music, humour, and most importantly, how to converse with others.

What I think rude and objectionable is, to others, normal and acceptable, it is called change.... and it happens all the time... and is unstoppable....  probably IMHO unfortunately .. :(

Forums don't make people .. people make forums ... and the people will decide what they want, simply by either staying if they agree, or leaving if they don't. ... and the rules won't change that ... just look how many of OOF's present, very simple, rules are ignored .... by most .. :(

STMO123

« Reply #81 on: 28 February 2012, 20:46:01 »

Before this weeks stupidity I actually thought OOF had "grown up" and was a nicer place to be, there was "less" agro and pointless posts.. and an awful lot less "ego masaging" but it looks like that is all returning.

Personally, what some folks seem to think is "banter" is actually just plain rudeness, after 38 years in the military I KNOW what banter is .. and a "masked swear word off" is not banter in any way, shape, or form.

One of the reasons, quite simply, that OOF will never return to what it was 5 years ago, is the price of the cars.

When the cars were £8000 (as mine when I bought it 4 years ago) there was never any discussion about "chaving them up", or scrapping because a cam sensor had gone.... the members did everything to keep the cars on the road, and - to be perfectly honest - the members were of a "type" that, whilst not throwing money away, never did things "on the cheap".

It is now almost cheaper to buy one than to do a full service, brakes and a set of tyres... so a different "type" of person is buying them,  joining the forum, and taking part in Gen Dis....  a KOS (military term) like me will never have the same viewpoint as a 20 year old .... in politics, interests, music, humour, and most importantly, how to converse with others.

What I think rude and objectionable is, to others, normal and acceptable, it is called change.... and it happens all the time... and is unstoppable....  probably IMHO unfortunately .. :(

Forums don't make people .. people make forums ... and the people will decide what they want, simply by either staying if they agree, or leaving if they don't. ... and the rules won't change that ... just look how many of OOF's present, very simple, rules are ignored .... by most .. :(

The thing is, Nige, is it worth getting upset, or even mildy bothered about. It is a forum for all and, as with most aspects of life, it will create friction between people. If I took any notice of what people said to me, on a day-to-day basis, then I would pack it all in.

I disagree with a lot of things that are said on here, but that's what it's all about.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 28 February 2012, 20:50:57 »

The thing is, Nige, is it worth getting upset, or even mildy bothered about. It is a forum for all and, as with most aspects of life, it will create friction between people. If I took any notice of what people said to me, on a day-to-day basis, then I would pack it all in.

I disagree with a lot of things that are said on here, but that's what it's all about.

Nope .... I just find I have been posting less and less in Gen Chat over the last few months, and I "skip" far more threads than I used to .... so, overall, I am taking far less "part" in the forum, which is IMHO a shame - if others far more intelligent and vociferous than I are doing the same. :(

STMO123

« Reply #83 on: 28 February 2012, 20:53:03 »

Nope .... I just find I have been posting less and less in Gen Chat over the last few months, and I "skip" far more threads than I used to .... so, overall, I am taking far less "part" in the forum, which is IMHO a shame - if others far more intelligent and vociferous than I are doing the same. :(
Yes, I agree, but for the 'greater good', that's how it has to work.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 28 February 2012, 21:06:10 »

Sorry Entwood but that came across as pure snobbery and apologies if some here are not of your "type"

Nor do I recall any bleedin chavved up omegas present on the forum? ::)
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 28 February 2012, 21:15:21 »

One mans banter is rude to someone else. It's all to do with how people read things which and things that are read can be taken totally out of context as you can't hear the sarcasm, or see a sarcastic facial expression through a computer. OOF has changed, and yes it has become much more 'PC' as it were, because of the amount of people taking part in the discussions. It worked before because there wasn't as many people on here, and the people that were on here, understood that not a single sole on here would say anything to offend anyone purposefully.

As said though with more and more people joining, you're going to lose that and it's simple, because everyone thinks differently, it just so happened that before, we had so many people that thought along the same lines and if something did offend them, they just let it be and ignored the post/thread. That doesn't happen on here now, you have to watch what you say. As someone said on here earlier though it has to be like that for 'the greater good'.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

STMO123

« Reply #86 on: 28 February 2012, 21:18:08 »

One mans banter is rude to someone else. It's all to do with how people read things which and things that are read can be taken totally out of context as you can't hear the sarcasm, or see a sarcastic facial expression through a computer. OOF has changed, and yes it has become much more 'PC' as it were, because of the amount of people taking part in the discussions. It worked before because there wasn't as many people on here, and the people that were on here, understood that not a single sole on here would say anything to offend anyone purposefully.

As said though with more and more people joining, you're going to lose that and it's simple, because everyone thinks differently, it just so happened that before, we had so many people that thought along the same lines and if something did offend them, they just let it be and ignored the post/thread. That doesn't happen on here now, you have to watch what you say. As someone said on here earlier though it has to be like that for 'the greater good'.

Yer what, Del? ;D

Nickbat

« Reply #87 on: 28 February 2012, 21:18:52 »

...not a single sole on here would say anything to offend anyone purposefully.

There's something fishy about that comment.

;D ;) ;) ;)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 28 February 2012, 21:21:16 »

...not a single sole on here would say anything to offend anyone purposefully.

There's something fishy about that comment.

;D ;) ;) ;)

Well apart from that Steve fella ;)
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 29 February 2012, 06:27:45 »

From reading this page virtually every day I have seen that the vast majority of posters have moaned about something at some point. Some of them are exceptionally regular posters with very high scores too! There is no-one on this earth who has not moaned about something and in my opinion to have to have a certain number of post is ridiculous and uneccessary. Everyone has their own point of view and even the newbies should not be restricted just because they are newbies. That is the worst kind of discrimination because until they have posted no-one can possibly know what they will post. Having to have 250 or whatever posts to be able to will not alter the fact that even after they have achieved the magic number their first post still might well be a moan!
Seems to be far too many who would be the boss and think that only they should have a viewpoint or moan......Sad but it looks like its the truth.
To have the 250 restriction for selling is valid and stops it being used by anyone to just sell after joining and not become a long term contributing member.
If this post causes offence then I am sorry, but it is my viewpoint and I stand by it. I still get a good laugh from the moans anyway because some of them are really pitiful, pity others cannot adopt the same attitude.  ;D ;D
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.