Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tram lining  (Read 6210 times)

feeutfo

Tram lining
« on: 10 March 2013, 21:52:06 »

Cause.

Discuss. But bear in mind recent discussions, or at least try.

Its not the;
Car
Set up
Wheels
Size of tyres

We've got that far.

Where to look next?

If you don't agree with the above fine. But take the conversation from that point on please. :)

cem_devecioglu

Re: Tram lining
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2013, 22:00:30 »

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2013, 22:08:11 »

I typed a reply for the other thread, only that find that it had been locked. Its just a little history on the car to shed light on what may cause tramlining. Can I post it here?

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2013, 22:17:07 »

May as well I guess. :)

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2013, 22:27:30 »

Probably not much use Chris, But I can only report on my own experiences.

When I first got my 3.2 elite estate, it tramlined like a pig!  I poly'd the front wishbone bushes and replaced the rear donuts (following your advice at the Hampshire meet).  Had full setup at WiM, and then fitted new front tyres (rears were already nearly new), so had 4 x Avon ZV5's at 235/45R17 XL.  After this lot the car went straight as an arrow.  :y

I have since upgraded to 18" wheels and am now running 4 x Ovation VI-388 235/40R18 95W XL tyres.  These are by no means the most expensive tyres, but were recommended to me by the guy I've been getting my tyres from for 20 years.

I doubt the my driving style would ever push these tyres to limits that yours would, and I am still running standard elite suspension at the moment, but I have been genuinely impressed by these tyres.  There is no hint of tramlining.  Grip levels are good in wet and dry conditions.  Braking performance is good enough not to trouble the ABS.  And so far, they seem to be wearing very well indeed.

I think we all agree that Omega's are a very fussy car when it comes to tyres, but I can't help wonder if there are other options open to us, without having to resort to the big name brands. 

I was going to post this in another tread, but it got locked before I finished typing it.

Anyway, I not out to offend anyone.  Just my humble opinion and personal experiences.  :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2013, 22:34:21 »

Cause.

Discuss. But bear in mind recent discussions, or at least try.

Its not the;
Car
Set up
Wheels
Size of tyres

We've got that far.

Where to look next?

If you don't agree with the above fine. But take the conversation from that point on please. :)

If it's none of the above then I see why you think tyres.

The only thing you can do at that point is to have complete sets of tyres on identical rims, sufficiently run in to remove the release compound, tested on the same car, by the same driver... unfortunately the testing will still have issues because the temperature of the road surface will change throughout the testing.

You seem sure but can you prove categoricaly that one tyre isn't hiding an issue that another is highlighting? Therefore the issue isn't totally down to tyres.

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2013, 22:39:45 »

Quote from the other thread

So what are the exact differences between Entwoods car and SMDs  :-\
I'm hoping his pressure gauge is wonky.

Could be other faults in the car. Wishbone bush could have failed vary early. Top mounts possible. Loose steering box bolts possible. Play in the box. Could be a number of things, including an oddity with the tyres as well.
I need to drive it myself, then maybe fit my wheels., and see where the fault goes. Swapping wheels is easiest way to discount faults on the car. As we've done before.

re wonky gauge. I will try to buy a tyre gauge from Halfords tomorrow, maybe the one you linked to a few pages back and will post back the findings within the next few days.

Had the car on the WIM ramps yesterday, Tony checked the top mounts (if my memory serves me rightly), I'm no engineer like cem as you can tell :P but he checked for play on components that would cause tramlining and they were fine. The geo settings were still the same. In his opinion it could be collective play on all the suspension components that could be the issue. So these components may be worn but not so much that they need replacing. 

The car itself is in great condition for its age, the members who have seen it will agree, and is low mileage. Its had one previous owner from new for 9 years who has looked after it extremely well. There was a second owner who owned the car for two months and I'm the third. It came with a main dealer service history but there is no evidence that any suspension work was carried in those years. The wishbones and donunts Chris removed were original and I suspect everything else might be too. In contrast, Entwoods car seems to have gone through a few parts.

My car was involved in a prang last summer, when it was rear ended whilst parked. I didn't witness this but the offending vehicle was turning right into a forcourt so impact would have been around 10-15mph max. The only apparant damage was the bumper. Not sure if this is significant.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2013, 22:41:24 »

None of ours tramline :)

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 March 2013, 22:41:37 »

Im not reading 9 pages +.

Just something to consider.

Checked the camber on a s type jag the other day and was surprised to find that the setting differ from n/s to o/s.

One side .2, the other .8.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2013, 22:45:17 »

yep - its tyres

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 March 2013, 22:55:56 »

i never had a problem with tramlining on the coopers i used
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2013, 22:57:57 »

yep - its tyres
So how do we nail down exactly what it is about tyres that cause it...?

Or, how do we know which ones to buy, that don't do it...?

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2013, 23:01:49 »

dosent allot depend on the style of driving  and the compound that makes up the tyre
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 March 2013, 23:01:58 »

Actually, no i don't think its the tyres....

to refine, my opinion is:-

235s are way too wide for a car with macpherson strut front suspension and a rear-mounted steering box. I'd say that all cars shod thus are only a smidging away from tranlining hell - all it takes is some small irregularity in the setup or a difference in one tyre make vs another to make all the difference.

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 10 March 2013, 23:03:30 »

The tyre test aspect of the proposed airfield meet needs to be organised in such a way that all the tyres presented are tested on all the cars presented to give an accurate impression of their behaviour on any given suspension set up :y

Obviously, any cars used will need to have been set up just before the test, ideally at WIM the day before :-\
« Last Edit: 10 March 2013, 23:05:35 by ex taxi al »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.