Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very Poor MPG. Help Please.  (Read 4776 times)

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
Very Poor MPG. Help Please.
« on: 05 October 2009, 19:28:56 »

Definately believe I now have a MPG problem. When I purchased the car I just thought they were bad on fuel. Now looking through the various posts I have now come to the conclusion 18mpg is not good. Car runs fine. No lumpy tick over. Oops sorry the car is a 2.5 v6 cd. Took her out for a darn good thrashing, but still it returns poor fuel. Now suspect this is the reason the previous owner got shot of her. Car was sold to me from a dealer. Non Vauxhall, just a small independant. Got it cheap anyhow plus it was a few months ago, so I'm not bothered about taking her back and creating a stink. My fault as I should have done a bit of research before hand.

Still does anyone have a clue what could be causing this. She has had 1 owner and full Vauxhall service history right up to 91,000. Car is now on 93,000.

Cruising on the motorway at 70mph. revs @ 2500 & the onboard computer instant fuel consumption shows 22mpg. £40 gets me about 160 miles.  :'(
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

feeutfo

Re: Very Poor MPG. Help Please.
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2009, 19:36:28 »

18 is a hard driving round town figure on the 2.5 imho. First things to check is both multi rams are working and that the the vac system the supplys them is fully connected and not leaking. Have a look through maintenance guides, paper clip it and make sure the servicing is up to date. There as a few causes so come back if no joy, but multi rams is my bet to start with. :-)

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
  • carn't get up dont go out!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2009, 19:39:48 »

Hi were are you some one may be ble to come round and have a look, I know that if the time belt is getting stretch they  can use more fuel with no out come until it breaks,but im sure some one would have a look for you :y :y
Omega's is a life not just a car. also do ecu codes read and wiped or rest.., fix LCD tv & DVD recorders PS3's and most electrical equipment just e-mail me.

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2009, 19:48:21 »

It might be worth having it fully serviced, just because it says it's been serviced it may not have been. New plugs, oil and filter, new fuel filter and air filter may help improve the cinsumption. But as chrisgixer said, the best thing is to do a paperclip test, if no faults are thrown up I'd get it serviced. Possibly the breather system may be blocked, that can affect consumption too.
« Last Edit: 05 October 2009, 19:48:40 by joshwyatt »

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 October 2009, 19:53:41 »

Cheers, I will have a go at the paperclip test tomorrow and see what shows up.  :y

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 October 2009, 20:04:01 »

Just as a guide my '98 2.5 petrol Elite auto with 163k miles does 32 mpg at 70 mph motorway speed.
Average over the last 700 miles, motorway and London centre 28mpg, so 22 is bad, as said update your details with location as someone maybe near who could help.
regards
richard a
richard a

barclay03

• Intermediate Member
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 October 2009, 20:19:06 »

As others have said - might be best gettin someone in the know to have a look over everything  :y

Just to throw in some stats i average around 22mpg around town in the 3.0 MV6  :-/

Ziad

• Omega Knight
  • Bahrain
  • They say money talks,but all mine says is Goodbye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 October 2009, 21:34:16 »

Well, I get about 16 mpg with my 3.0 on short runs  ::) ::) :-X

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 05 October 2009, 21:59:17 »

Very possible on short runs while driving hard round town. Auto box and weight of the car coupled with the could start mapping all drink fuel. But who cares with the prices your paying out there.

If you or the op have any steps in the rev range esp at 4 k check multi rams on the inlet behind rad and back of plenum. Give it a good(very good) rev and watch them move. If they dont you will get lack of performance meaning you press the pedal more to get the car going. Which drinks even more fuel.

Poorly timed cam belt, poor servicing, blocked filters can all have an affect.....imho. :-)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2009, 22:03:35 »

getting 35 mpg out of mine on average per tank at the moment, thats with about 1 hour of stop-start traffic in total each day, a 2.5 would get the same on the motorway bit, not sure if it would be the same in heavy traffic.

Ziad

• Omega Knight
  • Bahrain
  • They say money talks,but all mine says is Goodbye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 October 2009, 22:05:16 »

Very possible on short runs while driving hard round town. Auto box and weight of the car coupled with the could start mapping all drink fuel. But who cares with the prices your paying out there.

If you or the op have any steps in the rev range esp at 4 k check multi rams on the inlet behind rad and back of plenum. Give it a good(very good) rev and watch them move. If they dont you will get lack of performance meaning you press the pedal more to get the car going. Which drinks even more fuel.

Poorly timed cam belt, poor servicing, blocked filters can all have an affect.....imho. :-)

Thanks for the advice Chris  :y Multi rams work very well, thank you ... but I got a heavy (VERY heavy) foot AND a thumb which plays with that famous S switch a lot  ::) ::) :P

Service is done by a top bloke whom i trust and who really knows his stuff. Actually timing was bad when I bought the car and when he changed the changed the whole kit, he set it up properly (using that locking kit of course)

Anyway, as you say, with the prices we pay for petrol here, who cares  ::) ::) ::) And oh, I forgot ... sometimes I even see 12 - 13 mpg  :P
« Last Edit: 05 October 2009, 22:06:19 by ziad »

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 October 2009, 22:17:28 »

Definately believe I now have a MPG problem. When I purchased the car I just thought they were bad on fuel. Now looking through the various posts I have now come to the conclusion 18mpg is not good. Car runs fine. No lumpy tick over. Oops sorry the car is a 2.5 v6 cd. Took her out for a darn good thrashing, but still it returns poor fuel. Now suspect this is the reason the previous owner got shot of her. Car was sold to me from a dealer. Non Vauxhall, just a small independant. Got it cheap anyhow plus it was a few months ago, so I'm not bothered about taking her back and creating a stink. My fault as I should have done a bit of research before hand.

Still does anyone have a clue what could be causing this. She has had 1 owner and full Vauxhall service history right up to 91,000. Car is now on 93,000.

Cruising on the motorway at 70mph. revs @ 2500 & the onboard computer instant fuel consumption shows 22mpg. £40 gets me about 160 miles.  :'(
Try not thrashing it. Works wonders for the MPG :y

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 October 2009, 10:08:30 »

LOL. You know what I mean by a thrashing.  8-) Blow away the cobwebs  :y

Right the paperclip test shows a fault.  :'(

19   Incorrect RPM Signal

What does this mean. Simples or bad fix.  :-?

Cheers Mal

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 October 2009, 10:13:22 »

LOL. You know what I mean by a thrashing.  8-) Blow away the cobwebs  :y

Right the paperclip test shows a fault.  :'(

19   Incorrect RPM Signal

What does this mean. Simples or bad fix.  :-?

Cheers Mal
Its an easy fix Mal, 19 is crank sensor and its common. I would suggest buying a genuine one and here's the how to ;)
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1174321688
Retired

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 October 2009, 10:57:02 »

Looks like i'm off to Vauxhall then :'(. Got to go anyway as I was looking around the engine and also found a split pipe. Group of 4 that go into the thing above the ECO TECH on engine. Cut cable back and took her for a drive. Still poor MPG. Now I have foun another pipe split. Tiny gauge one this time. Comes from the front near rad. Looks like it is from a sensor by the vacuum thing. It goes all the way to the back of the engine to the HBV ::).  Sucking air in like a goodin. :y

New pipe then I feel can only make her feel better :D

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 October 2009, 11:05:18 »

Sorry....pipe does not go back to HBV. It goes to some mad T piece thing with loads of little ones to the lft of it ( Drivers side )  8-)

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 October 2009, 11:11:41 »

ECU to Brake Servo vacuum pipe. Right I'm of to Vauxhall :y

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 October 2009, 11:14:15 »

Leaking Vac pipes won't help at all ;)
Retired

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 October 2009, 12:19:24 »

Right then. Vac pipe replaced :y

Crank Sensor from Vauxhall is either £68 + Vat or £98 + Vat.

All I have to do now is find out which one  have. Bet I have the more expensive one >:(

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
  • carn't get up dont go out!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 October 2009, 12:42:58 »

Give these a ring may get it for you cheaper GM Parts 01228 599000 :y
Omega's is a life not just a car. also do ecu codes read and wiped or rest.., fix LCD tv & DVD recorders PS3's and most electrical equipment just e-mail me.

feeutfo

« Reply #20 on: 06 October 2009, 13:36:50 »

where ever you get the crank sensor make sure its genuine GM. Pattern ones dont last 5 mins.

Small vac pipe will be multiram related. Either to vac tank or m.ram itself, cant remember the routing off hand, but that whole system needs to work to get the best from it.

Did you have any luck identifying when the cam belt and tensioner is due? They are 40k or 4 years due to the tensioner, not just the belt. :-)

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 October 2009, 15:02:24 »

If your Maf has an Oval connector you need an oval cranksensor

if your maf is the older type square connector you need a square cranksensor

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 October 2009, 16:47:25 »

Chris, on its last service it had its cam belt and cam belt kit done.  persume this is the tensioners. Kit price on invoice shows £103. Total bill on that invoice was £530. So I hope the work was done. I hasten to add this was all done before I purchased the car.

Have not checked Crank sensor yet due to weather, so still unsure which one it is yet. So when you mean the MAF, do you mean the big round thing by the air box. This has a round type plug :-/

Not looking forward to taking the skuttle off again. It was a pain last time when I replaced the HBV. Apparently another common fault on these cars. >:(

Is there any other common faults I should be prepared for. If so I will be asking the wife for a tool kit come Christmas. :D

:y   

GArlington

• London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 October 2009, 18:27:25 »

How bad or good is the power output? Poor MPG can be caused by bad mix, incorrect ratio, though it will be noticeable as the power will drop like a rock too...
I may say that I drove my 2.5 V6s for over 300K miles and did NOT have any problems with crank sensors, though I did have problems with leaking cam gaskets...
« Last Edit: 06 October 2009, 18:28:06 by GArlington »

feeutfo

« Reply #24 on: 06 October 2009, 18:48:00 »

Chris, on its last service it had its cam belt and cam belt kit done.  persume this is the tensioners. Kit price on invoice shows £103. Total bill on that invoice was £530. So I hope the work was done. I hasten to add this was all done before I purchased the car.

Have not checked Crank sensor yet due to weather, so still unsure which one it is yet. So when you mean the MAF, do you mean the big round thing by the air box. This has a round type plug :-/

Not looking forward to taking the skuttle off again. It was a pain last time when I replaced the HBV. Apparently another common fault on these cars. >:(

Is there any other common faults I should be prepared for. If so I will be asking the wife for a tool kit come Christmas. :D

:y   
yes i would be happy that includes the tensioner, importannt thing is the date of the service and mileage at the time, if its within 40k and 4 years of the service then thats fine. the only thing to check with that is the timing is correct, but i would eliminate the the other issues and see if it improves first, which i'm sure it will do with the vac and crank sensor issues sorted. All you need now is some dry weather... oh and crank sensor of course... maf is on the inlet, its the first electrical plug inline from the air box(near left corner as you look at engine) hth
ps you may as well remove the old crank sensor and take it in to show them if you can?.... or if it the car drives take it to them :y

steve-o2.5

• Fort William
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 October 2009, 22:56:48 »

hi mal. got same mod as u.in hand book vx gives l/100k as 16.7urb, 8.6ex urb, and 11.6comb. which works out about 16 mpg, i get 32 on average! unless i go down the back roads (which is 5 miles shorter!) and get 23!! cruise control at 70 returns 45 mpg!!! hope ya sort it

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 October 2009, 12:18:52 »

Lovely sunny day. Got up bright and early. Took skuttle off and found I have the round plug. Part at Vauxhall £68 RESULT I have the cheaper of the 2 :y

Get home and find I need a E torx thing for bolt on sensor. Buy a set for £22 :y

Change it and re-route so keeping away from Manifold. Pull the old one out and check for damage. Nothing to indicate obvious signs of wear.

Put car back together and takes her out for a drive :y

Instant MPG shows 7mpg toodling around. Does not rise above 15 driving around 30 to 40mph.

Motor way shows 21mpg @ 70mph. going up a slight incline on motorway this drops down to 15mpg. Engine warm and i'm not booting it. I have a quarter of a tank showing on the gauge with a range indicating of 68 miles left  >:(

Get her back home with steam coming out me ears. Paperclip test done again. Still shows a code 19.

Now do we think this is an old error code stuck in the memory. Which means I replaced a perfectly servicable sensor >:(

Also reading other posts of people having crank sensor faults my car has not experienced anything like they were saying ( STALLING, CUTTING OUT )

My motor runs fine. Just has really bad fuel economy. Which I'm guessing now means it probably won't pass its next MOT.

Anymore bright ideas welcome please. :'(

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 October 2009, 12:25:23 »

Is it running at the correct temperature? (between 80 and 90 degrees celsius).

Has someone replaced the MID (computer display) and not coded it correctly?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #28 on: 08 October 2009, 12:27:42 »

If its possibly a MAF then I have a spare one from a '98 2.5V6 you are welcome to borrow to help with the elimination .....

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 October 2009, 12:28:37 »

good point, do you pump figures, match the MID?

you can check the mid coding ...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1167400262

although you need a real tech2 to change if its wrong.

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 October 2009, 12:31:06 »

I have used the trip on the speedo to check inbetween fill ups. It matces with the computer one.

Temp was up to normal. Any reason why it should still say a code 19 with the paper clip test. Do I have to take her out for a longer drive :-[

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 October 2009, 12:45:15 »

Just done that code check on the MID

Mine is

035       3

Mean anything to anybody :o   

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 October 2009, 12:50:23 »

Its not unheard of for 19 to linger for a while, the car doesnt know youve changed the sensor, so it may have gone from a 'present' to a 'not present' code.

these can disappear with clean starts (but not always it seems)

Be good if you could get it on a diag computer to check and delete.
and maybe look at live data too for the consumption issues.

It is well serviced?
have you tried a bottle of injector cleaner though it?
Forte advanced gas treatment off ebay or stp injector cleaner etc.
sounds too bad for them to make much difference, but I find them worthwhile  (others disagree, but I use them 2-3 times a year and find they do help, the condition of my head internals backed this up)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 October 2009, 13:25:55 »

Sorting out the electronics is good but don't forget the old fashioned stuff

binding brakes
blocked air filter
under inflated tyres
incorrect cam timing
petrol leaks
[edit]
blocked exhaust
leaking exhaust (especially air leak between manifold & Lambda sensor)
« Last Edit: 08 October 2009, 13:30:26 by andyh »

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 October 2009, 13:37:20 »

Just done that code check on the MID

Mine is

035       3

Mean anything to anybody :o   

35 indicates a 2.5, non xenon lights, 225, 55, 16 Wheels

so sounds appropriate for your car  :y

Boracic

• Dartford Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 October 2009, 15:38:45 »

I only ever got 17 mpg out of my 3.0, my 2.6 is a bit better at 22mpg, and I don't thrash it around, just never get a run, its all stop and start with lots of hills, and I know the 2.6 is running properly, but then I’ve never had a car with a small engine so 22 mpg seems good to me, my old P6 Rover 3.5 used to do 5 mpg when I thrashed it :D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 October 2009, 16:47:04 »

If you can get it over to Four Marks we can have a look over it with the Tech 2 to see if the live data is all plausible and also have a quick check that everything's in order under the bonnet.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Zonerc

• stoke on trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 October 2009, 19:34:24 »

Saw about this code check on the MID and mine comes up with 29 does that sound right for my mig any know which car its ment for and ive got 16" wheels

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 October 2009, 19:56:23 »

Saw about this code check on the MID and mine comes up with 29 does that sound right for my mig any know which car its ment for and ive got 16" wheels

2.5 manual
Tyre size 195 / 65 R15, 205 / 65 R15, 235 / 45 R17
no xenons.

with 16" wheels should be index 33 if the rest is correct.

tech2 session for you!

Zonerc

• stoke on trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 October 2009, 20:01:34 »

:(geez only got the car last week ,any idea how much that costs and where I can get it done?
By the way thanks for the responce :y

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08 October 2009, 20:04:27 »

:(geez only got the car last week ,any idea how much that costs and where I can get it done?
By the way thanks for the responce :y

not exactly urgent, its only slightly affecting you MID readings....

MarksDtmCalib in Nottingham
Theboy in Northampton
are your nearest options.  or Vauxhall, but I wouldnt, think they would look at you daft if you asked  ;D

They can also check anything else for errors / updates as they go along.
« Last Edit: 08 October 2009, 20:04:53 by jimbob »

Zonerc

• stoke on trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08 October 2009, 20:07:57 »

Thanks Jimbob ,I know Darth Loo-knee lives about 2 miles from me and he said last week he breaks and repairs migs but dont know if hes got a tech2.

Zonerc

• stoke on trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 08 October 2009, 20:09:58 »

With it wrong will it put my mileage or mph out much having bigger wheels

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 08 October 2009, 20:16:25 »

loo-knee cant do it sorry,

it will make all its readings slightly out.

Zonerc

• stoke on trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 08 October 2009, 20:26:46 »

thanks again
Will have to try to get to MarksDtmCalib at some time ,im in derby regular at the mother-in-laws as the wife comes from derby so not too far from there ,unless I come across anyone more local.

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #45 on: 08 October 2009, 21:26:35 »

Would a 031 code be 2.5 petrol auto, non xenon 16 inch wheels please??

Can tech 2 be used to change a MID code?

Thanks

Ratty

• Intermediate Member
  • Coventry
    • '99 2.5 CDX Mini-FL Est
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 09 October 2009, 14:45:07 »

Is there more information anywhere regarding the MID codes and their meanings and relation to wheel rim sizes?
John

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 09 October 2009, 14:57:18 »

Would a 031 code be 2.5 petrol auto, non xenon 16 inch wheels please??

Can tech 2 be used to change a MID code?

Thanks

Manual Transmission
 Xenon light

Without:

Xenon light

Tyre size 225 / 55 R16
 Xenon light

Without:

Xenon light

Automatic Transmission
 Xenon light

Without:

Xenon light

Tyre size 225 / 55 R16
 Xenon light

Without:

Xenon light

So I would have said yours should be 35...unless im reading it wrong.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 09 October 2009, 14:58:13 »

Is there more information anywhere regarding the MID codes and their meanings and relation to wheel rim sizes?

All in TIS, Ill try and put a post on with all the codes...

Ratty

• Intermediate Member
  • Coventry
    • '99 2.5 CDX Mini-FL Est
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 09 October 2009, 15:19:30 »

Thanks jimbob :D :y
John

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #50 on: 10 October 2009, 08:17:57 »

Thanks JB,

It wouldn't surprise me as I suspect that "things have happened" to my car in the past.

I've got another MID from the same config so will swap them over at some some point and see what happen.

How easy is it to change with a tech 2?

Thanks .......... Rob

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 10 October 2009, 11:10:42 »

Thanks JB,

It wouldn't surprise me as I suspect that "things have happened" to my car in the past.

I've got another MID from the same config so will swap them over at some some point and see what happen.

How easy is it to change with a tech 2
?

Thanks .......... Rob

fairly!  only done one, as I dont have a tech2, took 10 mins, and most of that was finding the new code in tis!

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 14 October 2009, 11:33:37 »

Right then... just a quick update.

Car is booked in tomorrow at Vauxhall for a Tech 2.

Put £50 in her and got 186 miles. 2 days of driving. Mostly motorway all at 60mph. God she is thirsty  :'(

Cheers for all your help. Haven't cheeked yet to see if the code 19 has gone yet. Apparently it takes 20 clean starts to clear. I daren't start her anymore as she is costing more than the wife.

All vac hoses have been checked. Rams work.

I'm thinking as I mentioned in a previous post I believe the previous owner got shot of her after finding out it will probably be an expensive fix. Probably be the CATS knowing my luck.

Still I'm prepared to pay to get her fixed than cut my loses and run.  :y Well of course this does depend on what Vauxhall sy. After all i'm not Rockerfella.  ;D

Let you all know the out come tomorrow  :)

feeutfo

« Reply #53 on: 14 October 2009, 12:16:19 »

Put £50 in her and got 186 miles. 2 days of driving. Mostly motorway all at 60mph. God she is thirsty  :'(

Cheers for all your help. Haven't cheeked yet to see if the code 19 has gone yet. Apparently it takes 20 clean starts to clear. I daren't start her anymore as she is costing more than the wife.

I'm thinking as I mentioned in a previous post I believe the previous owner got shot of her after finding out it will probably be an expensive fix. Probably be the CATS knowing my luck.

Still I'm prepared to pay to get her fixed than cut my loses and run.  :y Well of course this does depend on what Vauxhall sy. After all i'm not Rockerfella.  ;D

Oh mate, i really wouldn't bother with vx. Most likely out come, they will take your money, scratch their heads, then tell you it needs a new ecu, or engine, or something really expensive in the hope they get the work, but they wont be sure so it will all be at your own risk.

Far better to get Kevin or The Boy to look at it with their own tech 2. Their diagnostic skills are miles better than any vx hoody.

mantahatch

« Reply #54 on: 14 October 2009, 12:31:26 »

Hi Mal
I am in the Southampton area, and for my sins work in Southampton. To be honest I don't think you will get much better mpg from your car than you are getting. I drive 6 miles to work and 6.5 miles home again (different route) and with a very light right foot I get an average of 20mpg. push it hard and it goes but the consumption goes through the floor.
Driving in Southampton area is a nightmare for fuel consumption. all we have are slow roads and traffic lights.
awhile back I did a test driving round Southampton at 30mph and I averaged about 15mpg, then drove the same route at 40mph and got it up to 22mpg.

Oh yes and don't go to hartwells in the avenue there customer service is appaling. Goto Picador in Sholing or Picador in Chandlers Ford, or probably better still one of the chaps on here with tech2.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 14 October 2009, 13:14:36 »

Hi Mal
I am in the Southampton area, and for my sins work in Southampton. To be honest I don't think you will get much better mpg from your car than you are getting. I drive 6 miles to work and 6.5 miles home again (different route) and with a very light right foot I get an average of 20mpg. push it hard and it goes but the consumption goes through the floor.
Driving in Southampton area is a nightmare for fuel consumption. all we have are slow roads and traffic lights.
awhile back I did a test driving round Southampton at 30mph and I averaged about 15mpg, then drove the same route at 40mph and got it up to 22mpg.

Oh yes and don't go to hartwells in the avenue there customer service is appaling. Goto Picador in Sholing or Picador in Chandlers Ford, or probably better still one of the chaps on here with tech2.

Or if you really can't get to Kevin, try a company called Vauxtech. I think they're still trading and if they are they're worth a look... They know their onions and are in Southampton :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

albitz

« Reply #56 on: 14 October 2009, 14:11:08 »

Hi Mal

I would tend to agree.I have had a week off work so have been driving(very gently) around the local be  roads this week,I have achieved the grand figure of 18.5 mpg.Shocking imo. :o :'(

It looks like rhe word filter wont let me use the capital  letter to name the type of road properly,keeps coming up as "be" - bizzare ? :-? :-/
« Last Edit: 14 October 2009, 14:15:00 by albitz »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 14 October 2009, 14:18:10 »

It looks like rhe word filter wont let me use the capital  letter to name the type of road properly,keeps coming up as "be" - bizzare ? :-? :-/

Ah! That explains why my name is altered when I'm quoted!!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 14 October 2009, 14:19:06 »

Ah! That explains why my name is altered when I'm quoted!!

Like this ........  :-?  :-?  :-?   
It's about time people stopped playing!!  :-/  :-/
« Last Edit: 14 October 2009, 14:20:06 by Andy_B »

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 14 October 2009, 15:56:20 »

Now I'm confused. When I bought the car I was happy about the MPG. After all a big V6. Then looking around on here I saw people quoting they get 35mph on motorways and an average of 25mph roud town.

Now I get nowhere near this.... well I lie... going down hill with my foot of the gas the MPG does go up to 50 odd mpg.

I have never had any better than 20mpg. Long runs aswell as I mentioned above.

Now people are saying that this is normal. 15 to 20 mpg.

Right me now is very confused. :-?

Do I waste £70 on a Tech2?

Car does run fine. TICK OVER IS @ 500RPM. iT DOES HUNT ON THE ODD OCCASION THOUGH. Opps sorry for the shouting :-[

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 14 October 2009, 16:59:18 »

well i get 32 regualry with my 3.2 70 to 85 ish on motorway and i get 24 knocking round i cant fault it it is slightly better than my previous 2.5 cdx
im well chuffed with mine so yes i think you  have something wrong
the 2.5 acheived 30 on all runs and 24 around town
There is a tide in the affairs of man if taken at the flood will lead on to greater things

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 14 October 2009, 17:04:07 »

Now I'm confused. When I bought the car I was happy about the MPG. After all a big V6. Then looking around on here I saw people quoting they get 35mph on motorways and an average of 25mph roud town.

Now I get nowhere near this.... well I lie... going down hill with my foot of the gas the MPG does go up to 50 odd mpg.

Car does run fine. TICK OVER IS @ 500RPM. iT DOES HUNT ON THE ODD OCCASION THOUGH. Opps sorry for the shouting :-[

It will cost significantly less than that to pop over to Four Marks and give it a once-over. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 14 October 2009, 18:27:48 »

Cheers Kevin. PM sent

feeutfo

« Reply #63 on: 14 October 2009, 19:58:54 »

It will cost significantly less than that to pop over to Four Marks and give it a once-over. :y

Kevin
Cost is a fraction of the issue. I would not mind paying the rate vx charge so much if the operators new how to use tech 2 in the first place.

Just wondering if it really is running ok. 2am Omega, a member on here, had some running issues and poor consumption. Turned out the dis had failed on 2 opposing pots 1 on each bank. Car sounded and ran smooth, but no power and crap mpg. If Mal is on his first v6 he may not know what it SHOULD sound and drive like? 

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 15 October 2009, 15:22:27 »

My previous 2.5 V6 manual (CD, no cruise  :() used to manage 28 mpg in day to day driving but on a long motorway run the displayed average once crept up to 34mpg :y

I bought a 2003 Elite 2.6 Auto a couple of months ago & the consumption has been quite disappointing. On a long motorway run (1500 miles, Scotland & back) I couldn't get the displayed average better than 28mpg  >:(.

The engine wasn't warming up properly so last week I fitted a new thermostat. This week I did the 500 mile round trip to London & back and got the average up to 30.7mpg :y Where I live now is hillier than where I used to live & the new car is auto so I don't imagine I will ever get quite the same economy out of the new car as I did from the old one  :(

« Last Edit: 15 October 2009, 15:31:13 by andyh »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 18 queries.