Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP!! FLAT BATTERY!!  (Read 4193 times)

laughjimbo

• Hertfordshire, UK
    • View Profile
HELP!! FLAT BATTERY!!
« on: 07 December 2007, 20:37:36 »

and now cannot get into my omega even with keys. Can only get access to the boot on my saloon but deadlocking is preventing me from opening the doors i think!!
Can yanyone help me with some advice on this.
1999 Omega 3.0 MV6 Saloon Manual, 2001 Volvo V70 T5 Manual, 1996 Mitsubishi Delica L400 Jasper 4x4

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!! FLAT BATTERY!!
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2007, 20:39:30 »

Key in the drivers door lock and turn clockwise.....it will be very still but will turn.

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2007, 20:40:28 »

push the centre panal in the rear seats from the boot and then get someone small to climb into the cabin and unlock the doors. :y
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2007, 20:41:14 »

Its the season for battery's!

I had one last week,
Mrs jimbob this week, but when I rang to check if they had one in stock for her....No we've had a run on them, 8 on backorder!

Got one the next day though.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2007, 21:06:41 »

My car is Y-Reg 2001, still has the original Vx battery and going strong  :-X

In the olden days batteries were good for 3 years or so, with luck you might get 5... but they seem to last much longer these days.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2007, 21:38:54 »

In the olden days batteries were good for 3 years or so, with luck you might get 5... but they seem to last much longer these days.

They seem to fail suddenly without warning though, I find, whereas old batteries used to be a bit sluggish starting for a month or two before they got beyond a joke.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2007, 21:40:09 »

They seem to fail suddenly without warning though, I find, whereas old batteries used to be a bit sluggish starting for a month or two before they got beyond a joke.

Kevin

Realy, I find they still get a bit slower.....I suspect its slightly harder to spot due to the reduction drive starter setup.

laughjimbo

• Hertfordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2007, 21:45:36 »

Tried the key in the drivers door, will turn anti-clockwise but not clockwise, don't want to force it and break a key.
I don't use the omega very much as we have a zafira for the kids to ruin, battery was fine last week!!
Tried getting in through the boot but will i have to really force the armrest down and damage it or would damage be minimal? Anyone know through trying it??
Thanks for the response too everyone!!
1999 Omega 3.0 MV6 Saloon Manual, 2001 Volvo V70 T5 Manual, 1996 Mitsubishi Delica L400 Jasper 4x4

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 December 2007, 22:04:35 »

Tried the key in the drivers door, will turn anti-clockwise but not clockwise, don't want to force it and break a key.
I don't use the omega very much as we have a zafira for the kids to ruin, battery was fine last week!!
Tried getting in through the boot but will i have to really force the armrest down and damage it or would damage be minimal? Anyone know through trying it??

Turn it harder.....it will go and the key wont break.

bruce

• HEMEL HEMPSTEAD HERTFORDSHIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 December 2007, 22:16:43 »

I went in through the boot gave the ski panel one hard kick..and the catch that the ski panel lock locks into came out of the body work with the ski panel...I just unlocked it and tapped the catch part with the splines on back in.

laughjimbo

• Hertfordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 December 2007, 23:41:20 »

I have got the car open, i did it with the key and it did open, do have to do it quite hard though. Thanks for the advice, can get a new battery now, strange thing is a few days ag when i used it all was fine and now completely dead, no interior lights at all!!
Anyway thanks again!!!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2007, 00:48:34 »

Realy, I find they still get a bit slower.....I suspect its slightly harder to spot due to the reduction drive starter setup.

Well, the last couple I've had fail have been fine one minute and dead the next. Last time, I pulled into a motorway services for a coffee, so stopped for about 5 minutes following an hour of motorway cruising and on my return it reluctantly operated the central locking and as soon as I turned the key it went totally dead. The one before was like that too. I suspect internal connections failing rather than the battery itself perhaps?

My cousin had one explode! Made a right mess.

Mustn't grumble, I suppose. I generally get 6 or 7 years from one, although the first one in the Westfield only lasted 3. I now make sure I look after that one if I'm not driving it regularly.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

laughjimbo

• Hertfordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 December 2007, 02:00:12 »

Yeah really strange that is was so dead after using it the other day and it being fine. Never had it on any other car like this.
Mine is an MV6 3.0 manual, which would be the best battery to fit to this, make and number? Are the Vaux original the best to fit to these??

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 December 2007, 08:23:53 »

Yeah really strange that is was so dead after using it the other day and it being fine. Never had it on any other car like this.
Mine is an MV6 3.0 manual, which would be the best battery to fit to this, make and number? Are the Vaux original the best to fit to these??

I think so, retain the receipt, if problems occur within 3 year guarantee period, you'll get a new one from any VX dealers (WITH THE RECEIPT)....  

Had a Motaquip battery on a Granada once, 6 years and was still great when I got rid...

DC
Do it right, do it once................

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 December 2007, 09:57:15 »

Like you I don't seem to use my Omega much either.I fitted a new 78ah battery in July and find that if the car sits for any more than 10 days the starter is slower although it still fires first turn. The cars are designed to be driven and parked up they are still trickle discharging the battery. I too run miine last weekend but when I went out to it on Thursday it was DEAD :-/ even the fuel pump was clicking . Just got to use it more .......
As for the key , spray 3 in 1 oil into it over a couple of days and that'll free it up and then do the same each month to keep them free. (boot / tailgate too ) :y
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.