Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: recommend tyres?  (Read 6448 times)

puffa

• Intermediate Member
  • Southampton, UK
    • View Profile
Re: recommend tyres?
« Reply #45 on: 26 May 2010, 15:38:01 »

Had Kumho ecsta on the back of the mig when I brought it, grippy when dry but total rubbish when wet, and very rarely stayed on the road under harsh acceleration. now have Pirelli P7 on the back and so far not had any problems.

Steve
Previously owned 2.5 v6 Reflection

feeutfo

« Reply #46 on: 26 May 2010, 20:58:11 »

I hear they are ok.. but not tested personally..

if you want silent tires.. micheline primacy hp..but they are weak against deep potholes.. in that case adrenaline 8-)

Conti SC3s are nice and quiet in 17", as are the Falkens, although directional control might be an issue there. Falkens might, on the other hand, be better suited in 16". :-/

Kevin
Does seem that those that dont mind the Falkens (spit) have higher profile tyres in a 16" wheel size, but still report some tramlining in most cases.

Generaly IME the rears tend to ware in the middle, as if over inflated, but the fronts ware the edges, due presumably to the camber variation built into the front geometry and steering generaly, roundabout side especially.

So certainly agree rotating wheels front to back helps this situation.  :y

should add my experience is with 17" 235 45 sizes.

currently 245 40 18" with sc3's. Delighted with the results.... so far. :y
« Last Edit: 26 May 2010, 21:09:46 by chrisgixer »

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 26 May 2010, 21:21:00 »

No-one's mentioned Pirelli P6000 - I've found them a good choice on all the big cars I've driven recently.  Durable and quiet, and I've never had a problem with grip, except in snow.
I can be handy mending a fuse - but stuff the Isle of Wight

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 26 May 2010, 21:41:35 »

I've just ordered Dunlop SP Sport 01's for the front. I was going to go with the conti sc3's (already on the rear) but I was seduced by the cheaper price of the dunlops. got them from mytyres who were a bit cheaper than camskill this time around £97 per tyre inc vat and shipping
I've got those on my car, stick in anywhere wet or dry it goes there.

Road noise?
Hardly any  :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

jordan681

• Sc unthorpe, North Lincs
    • Irmscher 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 30 May 2010, 12:55:08 »

Personally I'd go with Dunlops..  they've never let me down...  though I'm restricted in what tyre i can have on mine (285/30/18), i tried a cheaper tyre but they were shredded in a matter of months...  I've had my dunlops on for 6 months and only had 2mm of wear out of them...
Always looking for a bargin..  PM me if u have any uprated Miggy parts...

aaronjb

« Reply #50 on: 11 November 2010, 22:06:37 »

She is running Toyo Proxies T1R's all round....grippy, bit noisy tyre, quite impressed.

Im running  Vredstein Ultra C Sessanta's just as grippy, but quieter.
only have em on the back....pair coming for the front in a month or 2.

Dragging up an old thread ;) after my back tyre went flat (I think all four are leaking slowly, probably from the bead) I'm thinking it might be time to ditch the unknown age/provenance Michelins that came with the car and I was considering the Vredestein Ultra C Sessantas - any further comments on how they hold up?

Either that or perhaps the Dunlop SP Sport 01 - slightly cheaper, too.

I'd consider Toyo Proxes T1-R - I've run those on the MR2 (and their predecessor the T1-S), but having said that they have fairly soft sidewalls which might not suit the weighty Omega - they are lovely and progressive on the limit, though.

kevinminton

« Reply #51 on: 11 November 2010, 22:58:16 »

FIO: After an unhappy experience last winter when a kerb jumped out in front of me, I have fitted winter tyres. Got them from Online Performance Tyres near Nottingham http://shop.ebay.co.uk/online-performance-tyres/m.html.  Good service, reasonable price.

Can't judge them in isolation 'cos new wishbones fitted (thanks Daz) and WIM alignment all done together. But they are definitely grippy enough for me on cold wet roads.

K

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 11 November 2010, 23:22:11 »

I have used pirelli p7000all round on my v6 estate for the last few years and have now done 20,000 on the fronts and 18,000 on the rears, now geting close to the indicators so renewal close.
Road noise was not too bad but tramlining is quite prominant with these tyres, very good in the wet and fantastic in the dry. Only once did the back end step out but that was mainly due to a large amount of diesel on the bend :o, but the tyres coped very well.
I am going back to Michelin pilot primacys as it had pilots on it when i bought it and they were superb. :y
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 12 November 2010, 07:37:41 »

She is running Toyo Proxies T1R's all round....grippy, bit noisy tyre, quite impressed.

Im running  Vredstein Ultra C Sessanta's just as grippy, but quieter.
only have em on the back....pair coming for the front in a month or 2.

Dragging up an old thread ;) after my back tyre went flat (I think all four are leaking slowly, probably from the bead) I'm thinking it might be time to ditch the unknown age/provenance Michelins that came with the car and I was considering the Vredestein Ultra C Sessantas - any further comments on how they hold up?

Either that or perhaps the Dunlop SP Sport 01 - slightly cheaper, too.

I'd consider Toyo Proxes T1-R - I've run those on the MR2 (and their predecessor the T1-S), but having said that they have fairly soft sidewalls which might not suit the weighty Omega - they are lovely and progressive on the limit, though.

Im still happy...

Mine is running 4 of them now, quiet, grippy, seem reasonable life.

In fact Im putting a pair of them on her car too today  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #54 on: 12 November 2010, 10:00:19 »

Ah Jimbob, just the man I was hoping to see here.. :)

Thanks, good to know they're still performing! I should probably say, my primary criteria for tyres is performance (yes, yes, I know, why buy an Elite estate then ;D ) rather than life :) (as an example - when I get the Neovas put on the MR2 I expect to get no more than 6-7000miles out of them!)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 12 November 2010, 11:02:24 »

Ah Jimbob, just the man I was hoping to see here.. :)

Thanks, good to know they're still performing! I should probably say, my primary criteria for tyres is performance (yes, yes, I know, why buy an Elite estate then ;D ) rather than life :) (as an example - when I get the Neovas put on the MR2 I expect to get no more than 6-7000miles out of them!)

What you need is Acme performance tyres then, guaranteed 50K +

www.acmeperformancetyres.com  :y
I like red cars

aaronjb

« Reply #56 on: 12 November 2010, 11:05:46 »

;D If I had tyres that lasted that long they'd be forever being replaced with almost all their tread left - they'd die of age long before the tread was gone :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 12 November 2010, 11:37:09 »

What you need is Acme performance tyres then, guaranteed 50K +

www.acmeperformancetyres.com  :y

I suppose they're made out of the same rubber as your crankshaft.

I have been rather happy with the Kumho KU31s I've got on the front of mine. I think I'll be going for another pair now the rears need changing.

Grip, directional stability just as good as the SC3s I had on before. Maybe a little more noise but not enough to worry about. handling - maybe a little less "feel" when turning in but the grip is there nonetheless. Wear rate commensurate with a reasonably grippy tyre, IMHO.

For 85 quid a corner, a no-brainer IMHO.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #58 on: 12 November 2010, 11:52:15 »

I suppose anything ought to be better than the mix of one Michelin and four things that don't even have a name I've heard of on them ;D

Although I did just spot you can get A048-Rs in the Elite sizes.. but that would just be silly ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #59 on: 12 November 2010, 11:58:40 »

Sadly kumho don't do rim protection in the 18" size I need  :'(

Not many do other than conti it seems.

But I am interested to see what TB goes for next, as his favourites are discontinued. Was impressed with sp9000.... is it?....he had fitted testing new donut bushes. But I was only sitting in the passenger seat....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.