Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ADSL Router Toast...  (Read 2981 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: ADSL Router Toast...
« Reply #15 on: 19 June 2007, 20:02:51 »

My router survived the lightening we had Friday, and my line up time is still improving....

superuser@lan-> gti st
System up:   344 days 7 hours 35 minutes
Line up:     342 days 15 hours 47 minutes
Attenuation:
        Local:  35.5 dB
        Remote: 17 dB
Noise Margin:
        Upstream:       24 dB
        Downstream:     30.5 dB
Xmit Power Level:       11.93 dBm

« Last Edit: 19 June 2007, 20:03:03 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #16 on: 19 June 2007, 20:11:09 »

It wont be a bean counter.....the interface will pass its required EMC radiated, conducted and immunity tests plus any further region specific ones, as a (proper) engineer, you dont add cost for no reason.

And if you think a 1p component or one small enough to fit inside a piece of domesic kit is enough to stop a lightning surge then you are in for a big surprise because its a high voltage, high current and very fast energy spike and the only effective way to deal with one of these is to add some L (or R) and a VERY big C and only then will you of hopefuly slugged the edge speed enough to give a transient suppressor enough to time turn on and hopefuly clamp the pulse before dying in a small puff of smoke.....

Nasty stuff lightning, loads of different types, pretty much impossible to stop it damaging modern electronics.....

Years ago i used to work for a telecoms manufacturer......that used to supply BT, in the time that BT would only buy UK manufactured goods. They used to make small switchboards......i can remember for BT approval then, they had to fit a discharge device (carnt remember the name of the device  :-[ ) on each exchange line input.....this was to try to prevent lightening damage to the circuit boards....basically if a v high voltage came down the input lines the device would 'flash' the spike to earth.
They rarely got a unit returned with lightening damage.....and on the rare occasion they did then half the plastic casing had melted as well.
Dont think manufacturers seem to bother with this type of device now  :( but then that was the days when if it wasnt BT approved it was a big no no to connect it to a BT line!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 June 2007, 20:11:49 »

Apparantly the ground strike was a mere 30m up the road from me......so no surprise at all....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 June 2007, 10:21:06 »

While we're on the subject of ADSL routers, can anyone recommend a stable model suitable for a small office? Needs to support a single IP address over ADSL with NAT and ideally internal VPN. No wireless required, just ethernet.

We've got a couple of Vigor 2600's at the moment both in the office and at home and whilst they work OK the one in the office crashes occasionally, which is a bit of a pain if you're trying to get in through a VPN.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 June 2007, 11:29:53 »

Your 2600's on latest firmware? was all set to recommend a 2800 (like i'm using here) until I got to that part?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 June 2007, 12:10:43 »

It's not on the latest. I suspect it was a previous firmware upgrade that saw the stability degrade so I suppose I should try the latest in the hope that they've fixed it. I gues sit could get worse, better or stay the same :-/ What version do you run on the 2800 (don't know if there are any parallels between the two models)?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 June 2007, 12:21:14 »

Mine is on the latest, different hardware as this one supports adsl2, maxadsl etc, so sohould be no parallels.
If you think it got worse with firmware, why not try the latest, if thats no better, go back to the previous, or did that fix something else you had an issue with?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 June 2007, 22:49:47 »

I personally use a pair of Siemens sb5830 here. Decent business class routers :)
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.