Author Topic: iPhone  (Read 2068 times)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
iPhone
« on: 06 October 2016, 21:45:25 »

With all the Apple related topics of recent weeks mainly being somewhat negative, Thought I'd make one as well  ;D

Bought a iPhone 7 Plus 256GB which arrived on the 22nd of September and there's nothing wrong with the iPhone I like it  :y.. The only annoying part was transferring things over from the backup on my laptop via iTunes which I now hate with a passion. Basically no matter what I did to try and transfer everything via the backup I made with my old iPhone 6s Plus 128GB it always said it was corrupt. Even Apple support had no idea what was up with it..

Anyway I had to go down the backup option for the backup.. iCloud which I think is handy but with my internet I had to use my Three internet which wasn't an issue but even that took about 12 hours to fully restore everything from the 6s backup.

But there is a downside to iCloud restoring, Apps that have been discontinued or removed from the Apple App Store for whatever reason do not get restored back onto your phone via iCloud like it would with iTunes so lost around 7 apps the only good thing is I can't remember what they where so no harm done (this time)...

Just glad all my pictures, contact info, notes, app layout etc.. was put back almost exactly like it was on the old phone iCloud does seem to be improving unlike useless iTunes!

Anyone else got or is getting the 7 / 7 Plus?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2016, 21:59:06 »

Errmmm, let me think about that. ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2016, 22:47:29 »

Had the iPhone 7 since launch, don't really see vast improvement over my 6-S.

Battery is a tad better and camera is better in poor light. New home button takes some getting used to, think Apple getting ready for a more radical iPhone 8 

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2016, 23:07:47 »

Nah, have a 128gb 6 s plus.

Won't be swapping to the 7 because a key use of mine is listening to audio and watching videos on planes. For that I use noise cancelling headphones. They cost an inordinate amount for a pair of headphones but they are worth every penny to me.

I won't be spending £300 or so on another (Bluetooth) set so the 7 is a non-starter. I could carry a dongle, but it's something else to forget. I don't see the need to get rid of the headphone jack so it's not a product that's for me.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2016, 23:24:55 »

The camera on the 7 Plus does work well, The home button doesn't bother me if anything i find it quicker. But on occasion I have had issues pressing it at a certain angle where it does nothing it's far from perfect but like you say it's probably a way Apple are getting customers familiar before the 10th anniversary iPhone 8 comes out next year.

I've noticed the better battery life I can now get through a day without it knocking out. Does feel a little more snappy as well.

I really dislike the iOS10 3D Touch notification centre though it's far for perfect.

Overall I like it, Probably not worth upgrading from a 6s till the 8 comes out if your not really a heavy user. I find it's more cost effective for me personally to upgrade every year. Plus as daft as it may sound I do kinda look forward to something new around this time of year.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2016, 23:25:10 »

Nah, have a 128gb 6 s plus.

Won't be swapping to the 7 because a key use of mine is listening to audio and watching videos on planes. For that I use noise cancelling headphones. They cost an inordinate amount for a pair of headphones but they are worth every penny to me.

I won't be spending £300 or so on another (Bluetooth) set so the 7 is a non-starter. I could carry a dongle, but it's something else to forget. I don't see the need to get rid of the headphone jack so it's not a product that's for me.

I've got a pair of Bose QC35 wireless headphones for £250 that work really well, 20 hours playback. Got them from Very.co.uk with a discount code they often give out to customers that don't use them often. Know what you mean though. I do also have a pair of the older Bose QC15 that are wired excellent headphones both of them.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2016, 23:54:42 »

Yup, QC 15 for me. Love them, and considering I've done about 45 flights already this year, they certainly get put through their paces!

I got mine from a Best Buy vending machine(!) at Miami airport. Back in the halcyon days when the pound was worth a good amount more than the dollar ;).

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2016, 10:40:29 »

Yup, my original 5 was dying (4 years old) so popped over to the apple shop and bought a 7, 128gb.

Very pleased with it, no complaints at all.

My itunes backup / restore was flawless.
The only thing that didnt seem to copy over was the adaptor specific settings for my wifi elm code reader :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2016, 19:37:51 »

The general words of wisdom are avoid the non S models (that have the new toys) and wait for the S models (where said toys work, and traditionally get a performance boost).

So if I find my 6S in need of replacement, I'll probably hang out for a 7S
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2016, 19:54:08 »

The general words of wisdom are avoid the non S models (that have the new toys) and wait for the S models (where said toys work, and traditionally get a performance boost).

Might be a while, looks like iPhone 8 next not a 7S.

Apple moved to 3 year product cycle, which the 7 is the end of. (same body as 6) - So iPhone 8 next year will most likey have a whole new shell.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 October 2016, 00:13:10 »

Got the 7 plus yesterday and so far I like it. Certainly get on better than I did with Android
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 October 2016, 09:53:10 »

Might be a while, looks like iPhone 8 next not a 7S.

Apple moved to 3 year product cycle, which the 7 is the end of. (same body as 6) - So iPhone 8 next year will most likey have a whole new shell.
Its not clear if that's for gaypads rather than iPhones. Its all guesswork anyway, as we know. That said, due to falling sales, there is another suggestion that they may go for 6 monthly iPhone refreshes.

If the iPhone 7 flops, as is looking "not unlikely", they may well decide to move straight to new model.

Remember with Apple, its all about marketing.
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2016, 18:11:34 »

Does this mean that there will be perfectly good older model Iphones up for sale/being binned? I might be looking to upgrade my Samsung flip up non smart phone. Mrs V says I must.  Mind you only made two calls and received 3 in two years.......
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.