Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tool box sort out!!  (Read 910 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
tool box sort out!!
« on: 15 August 2008, 14:20:53 »

had a sort through my tool box and was a little shocked to find I didn't have all metric sizes in sockets, open enders and ring spanners. I do however have loads of AF and Whitworth etc stuff which has been seconded now to another tool box- useful for house plumbing and repairing the neighbours 20 or so years old cat tractor. ;D ;D

I didn't have an 18mm socket for example or an 18mm open ended spanner nor a 16 mm open or ring spanner. I do have an excellent set of torx sockets and allen keys though.

Do you need 16mm ,20mm and upwards tools for jobs on an Omega?

varche
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Bandit127

Re: tool box sort out!!
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2008, 16:55:07 »

IIRC, wishbone bolts are 21mm.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2008, 17:02:24 »

IIRC, wishbone bolts are 21mm.

Wishbones 21mm - need two
Brake calliper fixing bolts 18mm
Get 8mm - 20mm set - wont have an 18mm though, u need to buy that separately - use ebay
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Bandit127

« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2008, 18:14:39 »

Brake calliper fixing bolts 18mm
Get 8mm - 20mm set - wont have an 18mm though, u need to buy that separately - use ebay
GM are gits, using non standard tools.  >:( >:( My mum's old Fiesta needed a 7mm Allen key to do the brake pads. That was very hard to get hold of without paying £££s for the Draper one.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2008, 19:39:24 »

Been doing the same today....Too many tools (and small boxes) accumulated over time.

Need a new toolbox I think...
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctc900-tool-chest/path/clarke-mechanics-tool-chest-range
looks to about fit my needs.

Anyone got a better recommendation?  or know when the next round of VAT free days are  ;D

edit  :

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctc109-9-drawer-chest/path/clarke-professional-tool-chest-range

looks a bit more long lasting for a few extra quid
« Last Edit: 15 August 2008, 19:42:55 by jimbob »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2008, 19:48:07 »

Costco have some fanastic stainless cabinets. I wish I could justify the £400 or £500 ..... it could be more .... I've had the price wiped from my mind by SWMBO  ;D

Bandit127

« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2008, 19:50:35 »

Been doing the same today....Too many tools (and small boxes) accumulated over time.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctc900-tool-chest/path/clarke-mechanics-tool-chest-range

Anyone got a better recommendation?  or know when the next round of VAT free days are  ;D
Nice looking toolbox. But - the ones at work have all had drawer runners made of stuff you would have been better off spreading on toast.

Then they are really cr*p coz they still look good but don't work any more.  :( >:(

It ain't big and it ain't sexy but the old fashioned cantilever box carries a lot of tools in a small space and will work for years.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2008, 20:02:48 »

I have similar tools chests that came from Halfords and they seem to have handled my abuse so far. ;)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2008, 20:15:18 »

Nice looking toolbox. But - the ones at work have all had drawer runners made of stuff you would have been better off spreading on toast.

Then they are really cr*p coz they still look good but don't work any more.  :( >:(

It ain't big and it ain't sexy but the old fashioned cantilever box carries a lot of tools in a small space and will work for years.

Thats one of the 3 I'm replacing!

Currently have :

General Tools
Car Tools
Tools I want once in a blue moon!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.