Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Electric Mini  (Read 13098 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Mini
« Reply #75 on: 27 July 2017, 10:49:18 »

Just throwing this out there..... I can forget to tank up with diesel on the way home. But it's not a problem, as even with fuel light on I can nip to Sainsbury's and tank up with £65 of canal boat fuel in the morning on the way to work. Instant 700 mile range  :y

What happens when you forget to plug your car in one night, like a mobile phone it's easy to forget now and then  ::)

You will be a bit stuffed in the morning  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #76 on: 27 July 2017, 10:50:47 »

Giant version of one of those power-bricks for phones?  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 27 July 2017, 10:54:04 »

Just throwing this out there..... I can forget to tank up with diesel on the way home. But it's not a problem, as even with fuel light on I can nip to Sainsbury's and tank up with £65 of canal boat fuel in the morning on the way to work. Instant 700 mile range  :y

What happens when you forget to plug your car in one night, like a mobile phone it's easy to forget now and then  ::)

Tesla and ioniq both bong at you based on your expected activity (the sat nav stores your commute and checks it against your available range when you switch off). But yes, you are buggered if you ignore that lol.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 27 July 2017, 10:55:07 »

Honda gennie in the boot and drive to work slowly with the tailgate open? ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 27 July 2017, 10:56:22 »

Tesla and ioniq both bong at you based on your expected activity (the sat nav stores your commute and checks it against your available range when you switch off). But yes, you are buggered if you ignore that lol.

I'm thinking I get home, know it needs to charge but I just need to nip inside as I'm bursting for the toilet/hungry/need a drink/running late for dinner....

You go to bed, then wake up thinking sh!t forgot to plug the car in and I forgot to put the bins out as well.  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 27 July 2017, 10:57:44 »

... then comes the call you need to make.

- Morning Boss, I won't be coming in today.

- Why?

- Forgot to charge my car

;D ;D ;D ;D

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 27 July 2017, 11:03:57 »

Lets look at something else. https://www.licencebureau.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/road-use-statistics.pdf

Page 8 says cars accounted for 244.4 billion vehicle miles in 2014. That's 670 million per day, or almost 28 million per hour (on average).

The Leaf and Tessla battery/range figures indicate you can expect to get about 3 miles per kWh of battery charge

This means that if/once all cars were electric/battery, the grid would have to supply an average of  an extra 9.3 Million kW every hour. The difference between night time and daytime energy generation in the UK is currently about 10GW, but if you restrict charging to between 8pm and 8am then you're going to need to generate an extra 18.6 GW during that time. So you still have to find 8.6GW of extra capacity from somewhere.
http://gridwatch.co.uk/

Basically 3 extra Hinkley point C's coming online from 2040 onwards will do it. Is the planning permission in place yet?  ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 27 July 2017, 11:19:23 »

Basically 3 extra Hinkley point C's coming online from 2040 onwards will do it. Is the planning permission in place yet?  ::)

Yep, off we go cap in had to the French and the Chinese again...

..and then there's the supply network needed to support it - right down to the local distribution level which relies on diversity and is not designed to support every property in a street taking many kilowatts of power out of the gird for hours on end.

We will need a smart mechanism at a local level to coordinate whose car takes charge when and hope that the basic network has the capacity to satisfy all users. If that doesn't work it's a simple matter of digging up every road in the country to upgrade the infrastructure.  ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 27 July 2017, 11:27:56 »

Yep, off we go cap in had to the French and the Chinese again...

..and then there's the supply network needed to support it - right down to the local distribution level which relies on diversity and is not designed to support every property in a street taking many kilowatts of power out of the gird for hours on end.

We will need a smart mechanism at a local level to coordinate whose car takes charge when and hope that the basic network has the capacity to satisfy all users. If that doesn't work it's a simple matter of digging up every road in the country to upgrade the infrastructure.  ;D

Defeatist  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #84 on: 27 July 2017, 11:41:16 »

I'm afraid the solution is obvious..

By then the Goverment will tell you when, where and how much you can drive. Not the other way around.

If you do a job essential to the people, you'll be allowed to commute. If you do a job essential to the economy, you'll be allowed to commute.
If you're old, drugs will be provided to ensure a swift end, you will be recycled into Soylent Green.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 27 July 2017, 11:45:36 »

... then comes the call you need to make.

- Morning Boss, I won't be coming in today.

- Why?

- Forgot to charge my car

;D ;D ;D ;D

This equates to " the dog ate my homework, Sir" when I was at school. :D

aaronjb

« Reply #86 on: 27 July 2017, 11:49:34 »

This equates to " the dog ate my homework, Sir" when I was at school. :D

I don't think employers are allowed to employ the cane, though ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 27 July 2017, 11:57:36 »

All minor issues. Apart from a war this is the next best thing to boost GDP.

Spot on aaron. The days of just jumping in your car are numbered.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 27 July 2017, 11:58:30 »

All these electric cars lined up on the street for a quick charge. Such temptation.

I wonder how many small boys will find it amusing to pull the plug out as soon as the owner has walked away? ::)

I certainly would have done. :D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 27 July 2017, 12:26:50 »

All these electric cars lined up on the street for a quick charge. Such temptation.

I wonder how many small boys will find it amusing to pull the plug out as soon as the owner has walked away? ::)

I certainly would have done. :D

Or just wiggle it out ever-so slightly, so it looks in but not actually charging  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.