Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q,s about autobox  (Read 1539 times)

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
Q,s about autobox
« on: 07 October 2009, 17:08:36 »

With me being somewhat inquisitive to a point was wondering if anyone would have answers to these two questions

1 How quick does the auto box adapt to new driving styles

2 Does the auto box have a system on it that stops it from shifting up on a bend or a roundabout if that makes any sense.

Thanks

Steve
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Q,s about autobox
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2009, 17:09:21 »

With me being somewhat inquisitive to a point was wondering if anyone would have answers to these two questions

1 How quick does the auto box adapt to new driving styles

2 Does the auto box have a system on it that stops it from shifting up on a bend or a roundabout if that makes any sense.

Thanks

Steve

1.  Alledgedly yes

2. It has no idea what your driving on.

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2009, 17:11:26 »

Thanks  :y that was quick ;D ;D
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2009, 21:04:49 »

Adaption is dependent on the difference in driving styles.....drive like miss daisy when you have been ragging it and it will change quite quickly to start and then slowly converge on the new style over say 50 miles or so.
« Last Edit: 07 October 2009, 21:05:02 by Mark »

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2009, 21:09:39 »

Well mine will be seriously confused then, as the missus takes it to work (around 50 mile round trip) once a week and then I get it back.  Poor thing! ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2009, 21:41:56 »

Well mine will be seriously confused then, as the missus takes it to work (around 50 mile round trip) once a week and then I get it back.  Poor thing! ;D

Get the missus to slow down a bit and you need to get your wellie down  :) :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2009, 21:45:21 »

Get the missus to slow down a bit and you need to get your wellie down  :) :y

I think you mean to other way around, but I will be sure to tell her you think she drives with a lead foot! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 07 October 2009, 21:45:54 by mrgaffney »

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2009, 00:55:09 »

The Merc's got wierd autobox - two modes, Standard and Comfort (very confusing, as you intuitively expect the S to be 'Sport'?). In Comfort it alwys starts in 2nd gear (out of 5), in Standard it starts in 2nd if you get off gently, but will use 1st if you start with your foot all the way down. Oh, yes, and Standard shifts up later than Comfort. I tried both modes and can't tell the difference - I find the whole thing is an unnecessary complication... :o

Alas, no more Omegas....

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2009, 14:03:40 »

The Merc's got wierd autobox - two modes, Standard and Comfort (very confusing, as you intuitively expect the S to be 'Sport'?). In Comfort it alwys starts in 2nd gear (out of 5), in Standard it starts in 2nd if you get off gently, but will use 1st if you start with your foot all the way down. Oh, yes, and Standard shifts up later than Comfort. I tried both modes and can't tell the difference - I find the whole thing is an unnecessary complication... :o

Merc auto boxes have always been a little weak, they often cany make up thier mind what gear to drop into.....and are not known for thier reliability either (as my ex-boss has just found out on his C class after 68K miles!)

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2009, 15:04:06 »

I've just retired my F**d with an autobox and that had a sports/economy switch. I noticed a big difference between the two. Later, quicker changes in sport.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 October 2009, 22:05:50 »

Merc auto boxes have always been a little weak, they often cany make up thier mind what gear to drop into.....and are not known for thier reliability either (as my ex-boss has just found out on his C class after 68K miles!)

Phew... I've got another 36k to go then before my autobox gets knackered!  ;D
Alas, no more Omegas....

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 October 2009, 22:12:49 »

Ah but did DTM's ex-boss have the AMG engine? I heard AMG engines shorten the life of Merc auto boxes for 35k more than normal!  ;D

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2009, 22:16:05 »

Ah but did DTM's ex-boss have the AMG engine? I heard AMG engines shorten the life of Merc auto boxes for 35k more than normal!  ;D

No worries for me then, Tunnie - my 1.8 4-cyl engine is unlikely to shatter any autobox to pieces...  8-)
Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.