Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyres suitable for omega  (Read 21697 times)

Taxi_Driver

Re: Tyres suitable for omega
« Reply #135 on: 11 April 2014, 19:27:51 »

So what would happen if you reduced the width on Omega's......????

Ive just gone from 215's to 205's (they didnt have 215's in stock)

Immediate difference i noticed was how much i didnt feel the rough road surface.... :-\

I dont thrash the passat......so dunno what the reduced tyre size has done to gripablility  :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #136 on: 21 June 2014, 23:42:38 »

The basis of this is minimal tramlining. Grip level as per group.

MUST BE VARIFIED BY TWO DIFFERENT MEMBERS

These tyres have been tested or owned ( which ever ) by Chrisgixer Taxi Al and TheBoy, vxlv6 , dbug, Mv6Matt Pauls and Entwood so far.

Premium
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric          Oe 17" 235/45R17 97 Y Extra Load - max load 730 Kg
Continental Sc3 mo           Front        18" 8j  245/40/18. 93y(rim protection)
Continental Sc3 Mo           Rear         18" 9j  265/35/18 97Y Extra load.
continental Sc3 generic                     Oe 17"
Dunlop sport maxx TT.                      Oe 17" 235/45/17 94Y
Michelin Pilot Primacy   225 55 16      OE 16" (expensive, and better available)
Pirelli P zero,                                    Oe 17" 235 45 17 r 97w

Mid range
Kumho ku31                                    Oe 17"
Pirelli p6000.                                    Oe 17"

Budget
Runway Enduro 916+ 97W XL          Oe 235/45/17 ET33 (priced as budget, mid range quality  )
                                                               Oe 225/55/16 ET35?
                                                                    245/40/18 ET33 Irmscher Stila 8J x 18"
Accelera Alphas                                Oe 16"
Toyo proxy t1r.                                 Oe 17"
Nexen CP461                                   Oe 16" 225/55/16 (speed and rating no longer       
                                                                       available) (caution in standing water)
Westlake  sv308                                    Oe17" 235 45 ZR17 97W M+S (test for no Tramlining only )

A good review on F1 Asym 2 here.
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=124442.0

chrisgixer

« Reply #137 on: 21 June 2014, 23:52:01 »

Thanks for feedback. Glad you like them. :y

Took some time, research, Money, and a lot of help from members here to diagnose my handling problems as purely tyre related on Falkens. Kevin Wood recommended sc3 to me. And later found the mo variants with rim protection and rock steady handling for sport star sizes.

As you say. They are noisy. ...and expensive. But needs must.

I'm going to try Dunlop sport maxx rt on the front next. More grip, to match the 9j rears, better grip...quieter, but won't last as long, by some distance. A fraction less stable than sc3 though I fear... (Wince)

If I had 245's front and rear, I'd stick with sc3 mo all round. But 9j 265 with sc3 mo rears demand a bit more grip from the front.

Dunlop sport maxx rt 245 40 18 97xl fitted to the front.
First impressions. More grip than sc3 mo. Much quieter. Not quite as stable but still very good. More grip than the 265 sc3 mo n the rear, so just confirms what we already knew, rt have more grip than sc3 mo.

Now, let's see how long they last. :)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #138 on: 22 June 2014, 11:24:31 »

So what would happen if you reduced the width on Omega's...... ??? ?

Ive just gone from 215's to 205's (they didnt have 215's in stock)

Immediate difference i noticed was how much i didnt feel the rough road surface.... :-\

I dont thrash the passat......so dunno what the reduced tyre size has done to gripablility  :-\

I have been checking the net and discussions about tyre grip as a function of width..

first I'll say my conclusion : on streets and crowded, speed limited motorways where you have low/normal speeds
you can practically assume physics basic friction law to be mostly applicable(with rare exceptions)..  so you wont feel a difference between an 205 or 235 tyre.
however,  looking at the fuel bills their grip differences are measurable ;D  (also as a function of tyre weight)

now when the time comes to test/measure their lateral g differences at curves with serious speed, the picture changes .. because tyres dont have a static shape and dont behave like static solid friction blocks..

and also when you compare those tyres for drag type usage of course wider tyres will make difference..

but more important than that,  the tyre design, tyre temperature , environment temperature , environment surface conditions plays a very critical role which is the mostly ignored factor..  :-\

as a basic example compare 2 cars, one having winter tyres with 205 and other car with summer tyres 265 width where surface is snowy/icy and temperatures around 0 celcius..  I think everyone can predict the difference.. 

ps: I have used 195 , 205,215 and 225 size tyres on omega on a wide speed range .. and I have noticed drive train components like shocks, springs and wishbones effect more than the tyre (assuming the tyre is not a very low quality type
« Last Edit: 22 June 2014, 11:33:09 by cem »

chrisgixer

« Reply #139 on: 22 June 2014, 12:26:42 »

Guys this thread is probably one of very few on here accepted as needing to stay on topic. It's purely for omegas on standard size tyres.

The idea is, it can be of use to omega owners wanting the best from their cars in buying tyres that ARE KNOWN TO WORK to a basic satisfactory level.

What we want to avoid is members spending spending comparatively vast sums of money on a set of tyres that destroy the handling of the car, such as we had with Falkens in some cases and conti sports contact 5, leaving members with a large and very unnecessary bill.

Please keep posts here within that subject. There's plenty of TB's server space elsewhere to take things off at a tangent.

Thanks

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 22 June 2014, 13:09:37 »

Has anyone any experience of using Nexen budget tyres?

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 22 June 2014, 14:54:05 »

CP641 225/55/16 were ok on our old DTi estate, although it wasn't particularly pushed hard and it would let go quite easily on wet roads.

If we still had the car I would have put Accelera Alpha's on next time round to be honest.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #142 on: 22 June 2014, 16:57:08 »

Guys this thread is probably one of very few on here accepted as needing to stay on topic. It's purely for omegas on standard size tyres.

The idea is, it can be of use to omega owners wanting the best from their cars in buying tyres that ARE KNOWN TO WORK to a basic satisfactory level.

What we want to avoid is members spending spending comparatively vast sums of money on a set of tyres that destroy the handling of the car, such as we had with Falkens in some cases and conti sports contact 5, leaving members with a large and very unnecessary bill.

Please keep posts here within that subject. There's plenty of TB's server space elsewhere to take things off at a tangent.

Thanks

Chris ,      İf that post aims my post , there was a question that was unanswered  which is also as important as the threads subject..  and highly related as it effects the tyre selection and cost.. and I find it meaningless to limit the tyre size to standard factory fitment

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 23 June 2014, 17:16:34 »

CP641 (225/55/16) offer above budget levels of grip in the dry and damp. Heavy rain, though, they can catch you out.

N6000 (235/45/17) is more a midrange tyre, and behaves like one. Outright grip is lower than premium tyres, but the dry v wet grip is more balanced than most budgets.
Grumpy old man

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 24 June 2014, 08:16:37 »

Have a pair of N800's fitted to my Signum, 225 45 18 95Y XL

Done about 2k with them and they are as good as the old Falkens that were on there. But I have never really liked the Falkens when I had them on my MV6 or on my old Signum, but on this one they seem better

The Nexen's have a very wide gap between tread in the centre of tyre which I think helps them perform in the wet and seem to grip fine in the dry. As for wear rate, only time will tell, but pushing between 260 - 280 BHP through the front wheels its unlikely any tyre will last too long!

They are noticably noiser on some road surfaces - mainly concrete on the M25 around jct 8-12 area :-)

To be honest I only got them by mistake, but £85 each mobile fitted if they only last 10k I won't be too worried

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 21 May 2015, 21:17:50 »

Dunlop sport mx rt
245 40 18
Lasted 12,500. The last 6000 or so where not particularly plesent regarding stability, still plenty of useable tread in the middle but the edges where shot, which would explNe the sometimes violent darting off line on the brakes, so I'd say, unacceptable towards the end of their life. Very good grip level though. Quieter than sc3.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 21 May 2015, 21:29:01 »

Michelin pilot super sports fitted.
245 40 18 97yMo  £116 each from tyre leader, fitted for a further £15

First impression. Feel like falkens. (O-oh ;D ) soft quiet and forgiving. But with almost zero tram lining/feedback from the road surface. They are bullet straight, but have a strange numb feel dead ahead. These could be a complete disaster or the answer to my prayers ;D will see how they wear.

Grip? To early to say. But suspect they will work well. Fairly quiet.

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 21 May 2015, 22:46:52 »

Talking of tyres for 18"s what is standard size 235 40 18 or 245 40 18. Also what tyre pressures.

05omegav6

« Reply #148 on: 22 May 2015, 03:42:42 »

Talking of tyres for 18"s what is standard size 235 40 18 or 245 40 18. Also what tyre pressures.
Both sizes are officially acceptable :y

As for pressures, I run mine at 41psi front and 45 psi rear... For reference,  that Gixer bloke runs his at almost flat... 30 psi or there abouts iirc :D

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 22 May 2015, 06:34:02 »

As Al says both sizes are recommended according to the Irmscher tuv certificate.

Pressure, winter I run between 30 and 32. Summer 33/34. That taxi Al bloke runs his at max load pressures all year round. Which would drive me up the wall as far as ride is concerned. That TB bloke suggests an increased front pressure to to take the load off edges. And a decreased rear pressure to counter the excess wear in the middle.  I think it's the suspension the wears the front edges though, and the rears do the same reguardless, so can't see pressure making much difference to edge wear, preferring to set it for ride comfort.

A few psi does make a noticeable (to me) difference to the ride. Imagine what an extra ~10psi feels like :o
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.